Who's Going to the Breeders' Cup?

Started by Zenyatta, October 26, 2013, 02:57:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zenyatta

I'll be going both days. Since I work 1/2 day on Fridays, I won't be there for the entire day on Friday, but will be there with bells on Saturday morning.

Anyone else planning on attending?

jjacks1

OMG I wish I was! Please tell me you're taking your camera and you'll have lots of photos!
Just another sh*tty day in Paradise

Vic in Chicago

I'm not going to the BC, but I did have the good fortune to be in NY for Belmont's "Super Saturday" of BC Preps.  What a day!  Princess of Sylmar running right past Royal Delta in the Beldame.  Ron the Greek's stunning sub-2 minute Jockey Club Gold Cup, and our 2012 Arlington Million winner Little Mike getting back to his winning ways in the Joe Hirsch Turf Classic by holding off horses on his left and right by the slimmest of "head bobs".

As much fun as that day was, I can only imagine how cool the BC must be!  To those of you going, I'll just say I wish I could be there too.

My favorite moment that day:  A man with a distinct NY accent shouting at Mike Smith (on Royal Delta) in the paddock..."You've got the best horse, just don't fall off!!".  (Turns out he didn't have the best horse that day.)
Giant Oak - The Pride Of Chicago!

Zenyatta

Quote from: Vic in Chicago on October 26, 2013, 04:21:33 PM
I'm not going to the BC, but I did have the good fortune to be in NY for Belmont's "Super Saturday" of BC Preps.  What a day!  Princess of Sylmar running right past Royal Delta in the Beldame.  Ron the Greek's stunning sub-2 minute Jockey Club Gold Cup, and our 2012 Arlington Million winner Little Mike getting back to his winning ways in the Joe Hirsch Turf Classic by holding off horses on his left and right by the slimmest of "head bobs".

As much fun as that day was, I can only imagine how cool the BC must be!  To those of you going, I'll just say I wish I could be there too.

My favorite moment that day:  A man with a distinct NY accent shouting at Mike Smith (on Royal Delta) in the paddock..."You've got the best horse, just don't fall off!!".  (Turns out he didn't have the best horse that day.)

Then you probably heard me screaming from there, rooting on Princess of Sylmar in the stretch. The Distaff will have a short field, but a good one.

I know of at least 1 member of this board who is oh, about 100 miles away and COULD go to the BC, but he's not. And he's not a bad handicapper either. He picked Vale of York over Lookin at Lucky in the Juvy the year Zenyatta won the Classic. Not bad. But then we both looked at his PPs and wondered why he was going off at such high odds. Nice payoff for that wager. 

Dusty

Will be there - driving up Friday will  make it in the AM and ALL day Saturday!
May they run with the wind

mchorseracecall

Dusty, when you go into the Santa Anita Racetrack's Autumn Racing Meet on Breeders' Cup Friday and Breeders' Cup Saturday, you will be hearing Trevor, who will be calling all the Breeders' Cup races for the fans at Santa Anita and the Breeders' Cup Simulcast Network on breederscup.com, calracing.com, xpressbet.com, and RTN on DISH Satellite while Larry Collmus, who will be calling all of these races exclusively on NBC Sports Network and NBC.

Vic in Chicago

Quote from: Zenyatta on October 26, 2013, 04:45:25 PM
I know of at least 1 member of this board who is oh, about 100 miles away and COULD go to the BC, but he's not. And he's not a bad handicapper either. He picked Vale of York over Lookin at Lucky in the Juvy the year Zenyatta won the Classic. Not bad. But then we both looked at his PPs and wondered why he was going off at such high odds. Nice payoff for that wager.

I once saw that same individual walk into an OTB in Chicago, stay for three races (at Hawthorne) and pick all three winners.  By that time he had lots of "friends" at the bar, all of whom wanted to know who he liked in the next race.  They were sorry to see him go!   ;D
Giant Oak - The Pride Of Chicago!

BlindLucky

CA is a little far for me, but I'll be watching from Churchill Downs  :D

Zenyatta

Quote from: Vic in Chicago on October 26, 2013, 08:23:54 PM

I once saw that same individual walk into an OTB in Chicago, stay for three races (at Hawthorne) and pick all three winners.  By that time he had lots of "friends" at the bar, all of whom wanted to know who he liked in the next race.  They were sorry to see him go!   ;D

Didn't the connections of Giant Oak think he was a little odd, though? ;)

Dave in TJ Mex

Quote from: Zenyatta on October 27, 2013, 02:55:00 PM
Quote from: Vic in Chicago on October 26, 2013, 08:23:54 PM

Didn't the connections of Giant Oak think he was a little odd, though? ;)

Actually, Giant Oak's connections were the ones who were a little odd.

They kept changing track surfaces, race lengths, equipment and jockeys with the Oakster, to no avail.  When the poor confused horse lost, they blamed him and called him stupid.  Yet, his connections never shipped him to run in SoCal, despite the existence of three classic length races (Santa Anita Handicap, Hollywood Derby, and Pacific Classic) on three artificial surface tracks that fit his plodding, come from behind style perfectly.

So who's was the fuzzy thinker?  Me or the Oakster's connections?

The Tin Man

I'm there both days.

mchorseracecall

Tin Man, if you are going to the Breeders' Cup, you will be hearing Trevor, who will be calling all of the Breeders' Cup races for the fans at Santa Anita, Breeders' Cup simulcast Network on RTN, breederscup.com, calracing.com, xpressbet.com, and the Horse Racing Radio Network live while Larry Collmus, who will be calling all of these races exclusively on NBC Sports Network and NBC. By the way, on October 20th, after I received the news that Conan O'Brien will be Trevor Denman's guest for the second race last Friday, what I decided to do on that day is to do my own race call of the same race that Mr. O'Brien called at home, and listen to Trevor's call of the other seven races from the Santa Anita Autumn Meet, instead of doing my own race call of all the races from Golden Gate Fields, on the 25th.

The Tin Man

Quote from: mchorseracecall on October 30, 2013, 07:51:14 AM
Tin Man, if you are going to the Breeders' Cup, you will be hearing Trevor, who will be calling all of the Breeders' Cup races for the fans at Santa Anita, Breeders' Cup simulcast Network on RTN, breederscup.com, calracing.com, xpressbet.com, and the Horse Racing Radio Network live while Larry Collmus, who will be calling all of these races exclusively on NBC Sports Network and NBC. By the way, on October 20th, after I received the news that Conan O'Brien will be Trevor Denman's guest for the second race last Friday, what I decided to do on that day is to do my own race call of the same race that Mr. O'Brien called at home, and listen to Trevor's call of the other seven races from the Santa Anita Autumn Meet, instead of doing my own race call of all the races from Golden Gate Fields, on the 25th.

I'd much rather hear Vic ... But what can you do?

Trevor will do in a pinch ... When Vic isn't available.

The bright side is that Hollywood Park is about to start ... So we'll get Vic for another 7 weeks or so! :)

mchorseracecall

Quote from: The Tin Man on October 30, 2013, 08:06:03 AM

I'd much rather hear Vic ... But what can you do?

Trevor will do in a pinch ... When Vic isn't available.

The bright side is that Hollywood Park is about to start ... So we'll get Vic for another 7 weeks or so! :)

Tin Man, according to racing journalist Ray Paulick, starting on December 26th 2013, Trevor will be calling all the races from the expand Santa Anita's regular racing meet, Del Mar summer meet, Santa Anita Autumn Meet, and the inaugural Del Mar Fall Meet. However, there will be two thoroughbred racing meets at Los Alamitos, one of them which will be on the week after the Santa Anita Regular Meet, and one of them will be on the week after the inaugural Del Mar Fall Meet. The two thoroughbred racing meets at Los Alamitos, will not be affecting the year around Quarter Horse racing meet at this Orange County track, so I am sure Vic might get the job of calling the thoroughbred races from Los Alamitos in the afternoon, while Ed Burgart, who will be calling the quarter horse races at night in July 2014.

pointgivenfan

Quote from: mchorseracecall on October 30, 2013, 07:51:14 AM
Are you going to the Breeders Cup, mc?

Print
User actions