Breeders' Cup News and Works

Started by Zenyatta, October 25, 2013, 05:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zenyatta

Since he's in my VS, I'll start with Goldencents, who scorched his 5F @ SA this morning ...

Goldencents (3-Year-Old Colt)
Date: October 25, 2013
Track: SANTA ANITA PARK
Distance: Five Furlongs
Time: 58:40 Handily
Track Condition: Fast
Surface: Dirt

jjacks1

BC Turf: Grandeur May Be Out

Irish-bred Grandeur may bow out of the Breeders' Cup Turf at Santa Anita on November 2. The four-year-old son of Verglas arrived from England Wednesday night and has remained in quarantine through Friday and is believed to be ill.

Trainer Jeremy Noseda told the Daily Racing Form that he and his staff are dealing with "a few issues," and that they are still evaluating the Breeders' Cup.

Not a stranger to the transatlantic voyage, the grey gelding has made four starts in the U.S., winning the Grade 2 Twilight Derby at Santa Anita in November 2012, followed by a second-place finish to Unbridled Command in the Grade 1 Hollywood Derby. He finished up the year with a Grade 2 win in the Hollywood Turf Cup at Betfair Hollywood Park in December.

Grandeur has career earnings of $485,856, having won 7 of 16 starts. Earlier this year, he ran in the Arlington Million at Arlington Park, finishing seventh.
Just another sh*tty day in Paradise

peeptoad

Quote from: jjacks1 on October 25, 2013, 07:00:36 PM
BC Turf: Grandeur May Be Out

Irish-bred Grandeur may bow out of the Breeders' Cup Turf at Santa Anita on November 2. The four-year-old son of Verglas arrived from England Wednesday night and has remained in quarantine through Friday and is believed to be ill.

Trainer Jeremy Noseda told the Daily Racing Form that he and his staff are dealing with "a few issues," and that they are still evaluating the Breeders' Cup.

Not a stranger to the transatlantic voyage, the grey gelding has made four starts in the U.S., winning the Grade 2 Twilight Derby at Santa Anita in November 2012, followed by a second-place finish to Unbridled Command in the Grade 1 Hollywood Derby. He finished up the year with a Grade 2 win in the Hollywood Turf Cup at Betfair Hollywood Park in December.

Grandeur has career earnings of $485,856, having won 7 of 16 starts. Earlier this year, he ran in the Arlington Million at Arlington Park, finishing seventh.

Drats. I hope he is okay...

Zenyatta

I wish they'd just left Grandeur here, much like Stacelita was, instead of flying him back and forth. Oh well. 

Zenyatta

If ever there was a feel good story at the BC, it's Private Zone's.   To see Rene Douglas and Martin Pedroza win a BC race would be fabulous.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/81595/private-zone-among-oneills-cup-workers

Zenyatta

VERY bad news. Pointsoffthebench, a major contender for the BC Sprint, died on the track st SA this morning. This is breaking news, do not know the details just yet. Heartbreaking.

Zenyatta

Zenyatta

No Jet Lag looked phenomenal working this morning.  This is a horse with some definite upside.

Chips All In looked good too - my longshot pick for the BC Turf Sprint.

jjacks1

Pletcher says Graydar will definitely go in the Mile instead of the Classic.
Just another sh*tty day in Paradise

Islandgirl45

Quote from: Zenyatta on October 26, 2013, 08:10:36 AM
VERY bad news. Pointsoffthebench, a major contender for the BC Sprint, died on the track st SA this morning. This is breaking news, do not know the details just yet. Heartbreaking.

There's not much yet on Bloodhorse. DRF has an article but it's behind the paywall.

Points Offthebench Fatally Injured in Workout
by Blood-Horse Staff
Date Posted: 10/26/2013 11:48:46 AM
Last Updated: 10/26/2013 1:24:06 PM

Points Offthebench
Photo: Benoit Photo
Leading Xpressbet Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I) contender Points Offthebench fractured his right front fetlock while working Oct. 26 on the Santa Anita Park main track and was euthanized.

The 4-year-old gelding by Benchmark  —Mo Chuisle, by Free House, was trained by Tim Yakteen and was being ridden by jockey Mike Smith. The rider was reportedly not injured.

Points Offthebench was owned by Donnie Crevier and Charles Martin. The gelding was coming into the Breeders' Cup World Championships off victories in the Bing Crosby Stakes at Del Mar and the Santa Anita Sprint Championship Stakes (both gr. I).

More to come...

Edited to ask a question: How do I insert images? I used the image button but that didn't work.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Zenyatta

Islandgirl, try using the "attachment" button at the bottom of a new post.  I believe that's how it was done at TBC. The "img" button with code is primarily for placing URLs to images located elsewhere online.

Islandgirl45

Quote from: Zenyatta on October 26, 2013, 11:07:15 AM
Islandgirl, try using the "attachment" button at the bottom of a new post.  I believe that's how it was done at TBC. The "img" button with code is primarily for placing URLs to images located elsewhere online.

OK, got it. I didn't have the cursor in the right place to put it up in the article but hey, I'm learning. :)

mchorseracecall

Trevor Denman will be calling all the Breeders' Cup races for the fans at Santa Anita, and the Breeders' Cup Simulcast Network on RTN, Breederscup.com, calracing.com, and xpressbet.com live, while Larry Collmus, who will be calling all of these races exclusively on NBC Sports Network and NBC.

Goldi

HRTV.com has a bunch of works posted (make sure to look past the first page). Should be free viewing. http://www.hrtv.com/videos/?VideoId=&VideoCategoryId=2

Zenyatta

Quote from: Goldi on October 26, 2013, 02:35:26 PM
HRTV.com has a bunch of works posted (make sure to look past the first page). Should be free viewing. http://www.hrtv.com/videos/?VideoId=&VideoCategoryId=2

LOL the page starts with a video of Kenny Mayne. Gotta love the guy. If I see him at SA next weekend I will insert myself in front of his face and tell him how much I enjoy his sense of humor.

Print
User actions