Breeders' Cup News and Works

Started by Zenyatta, October 25, 2013, 05:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldi

Quote from: Goldi on October 26, 2013, 02:35:26 PM
HRTV.com has a bunch of works posted (make sure to look past the first page). Should be free viewing. http://www.hrtv.com/videos/?VideoId=&VideoCategoryId=2

Just an FYI: I've seen mixed opinions on MORENO's work today. But bear in mind that he had actually started a work when Points Offthebench broke down, was taken off the track of course, and then came back to work again. MMM and Groupie Doll, among others, were preparing to work but had not actually started working when the incident happened.

Goldi

DRF seems to have taken down the paywall around the article on  the breakdown of POINTS OFFTHEBENCH: http://www.drf.com/news/breeders-cup-sprint-points-offthebench-euthanized-following-workout-breakdown

jjacks1

Does anyone remember that Breeders Cup from several years ago - the first one Rajiv Maragh rode at? I think it was maybe 2010 at Churchill. What made it so funny was I was watching the NBC broadcast and they were talking about Rajiv as a young jockey and Jerry Bailey spoke up and said "he's a camel jockey." And then there was this BIG pause. The politically correct police at NBC were freaking out then Jerry started talking again. Turns out young Rajiv really HAD ridden camels at the start of his career. The relief was almost palpable. It was so funny I can still remember that moment. Talk about almost getting in trouble for stating the truth!  ;D
Just another sh*tty day in Paradise

Zenyatta

Quote from: jjacks1 on October 26, 2013, 03:40:29 PM
Does anyone remember that Breeders Cup from several years ago - the first one Rajiv Maragh rode at? I think it was maybe 2010 at Churchill. What made it so funny was I was watching the NBC broadcast and they were talking about Rajiv as a young jockey and Jerry Bailey spoke up and said "he's a camel jockey." And then there was this BIG pause. The politically correct police at NBC were freaking out then Jerry started talking again. Turns out young Rajiv really HAD ridden camels at the start of his career. The relief was almost palpable. It was so funny I can still remember that moment. Talk about almost getting in trouble for stating the truth!  ;D

OMG it makes me think of the other jockey who was, I believe, from Saudi Arabia and spent a season @ SA. Anyone remember his name? He started out by riding camels too, but it was always skillfully worded as "he rode camels" and not "he was a camel jockey."

jt dancer

Anyone know who the horse is who blows by Little Mike in the stretch during yesterday's work?

mchorseracecall

Quote from: Zenyatta on October 26, 2013, 04:49:50 PMOMG it makes me think of the other jockey who was, I believe, from Saudi Arabia and spent a season @ SA. Anyone remember his name? He started out by riding camels too, but it was always skillfully worded as "he rode camels" and not "he was a camel jockey."

Zenyatta, the name of that jockey you are talking about is Ahmed Ajtebi, who rode the UAE based Eastern Anthem to victory in the 2009 Dubai Sheema Classic at Nad Al Sheba in the United Arab Emirates, and Vale of York to victory in the 2009 Breeders' Cup Juvenile at Oak Tree At Santa Anita.

Goldi

MY CONQUESTADORY will go in the Juv Fillies Turf.

Zenyatta

Quote from: Goldi on October 27, 2013, 08:21:16 AM
MY CONQUESTADORY will go in the Juv Fillies Turf.

I am SO glad. Now if only the connections of Diamond Bachelor did likewise.  Early Derby fever, I guess.

Goldi

GRAYDAR is out of the Dirt Mile; quarter crack discovered yesterday. Pletcher hopeful he can return for the Cigar Mile.

Kennedy

Although I'm disappointed to lose him it actually makes life easier.

To be honest I had no idea what to do with a horse that was the best on paper in the Dirt Mile but was deemed by his trainer not to be doing well enough to make the Classic.

jjacks1

Fort Larned Works Five Furlongs at Churchill

Janis Whitham's Fort Larned completed serious preparation for this week's bid for consecutive victories in the $5 million Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I) at Santa Anita Park with a five-furlong workout under jockey Brian Hernandez Jr. early Oct. 28 at Churchill Downs.

The 5-year-old homebred son of E Dubai   was among Monday's earliest workers as he went to the track at approximately 6:40 a.m. (all times EDT) and cruised five furlongs over a fast track in 1:01 4/5. Fractional splits for Fort Larned's work were :12 3/5, :25 1/5, and 3 3/5. He galloped out six furlongs in 1:14 4/5.

The move was the third by Fort Larned since Oct. 19 and trainer Ian Wilkes was happy with both the work and the condition of his star heading into the 2013 running of the Classic Nov. 2.

"Today was not to squeeze the lemon dry; it was to get the horse coming off the track wanting to do more," Wilkes said. "Today he walked off like he was wanting to do more, so I was happy."

"He worked great this morning," Hernandez said. "He went just like Ian wanted him to. He cruised right around there to five-eighths and it looks like he's going into the Classic like he did last year."

Fort Larned led from the start and edged Mucho Macho Man by a half-length in last year's Classic. He's had an up-and-down 2013 season with two victories in five races. Both of those wins were at Churchill Downs in the $536,300 Stephen Foster Handicap Presented by Abu Dhabi (gr. I) and the new $191,275 Homecoming Classic, his most recent race during the September meet.

He set the pace in both of his 2013 victories, which has led some to question if his running style fits in this year's 1 1/4-mile Classic, a race populated with speedy horses such as Horse of the Year frontrunner Game On Dude, who has not lost in six races since a disappointing run in the 2012 Classic, and Moreno, the 3-year-old runner-up in the Travers (gr. I) and Pennsylvania Derby (gr. II).

But Wilkes is confident Fort Larned is where he needs to be and has the ability to adapt to any tactical scenario the Classic might present.

"He can do whatever you want with him," Wilkes said. "He can lay off, he can sit behind or he can go to the lead. Last year he ran along (the half-mile) in :46. When you run along at that sort of pace—that's racehorse time—and if someone wants to go with him, go with him. But he can sit behind, it doesn't matter. I'm not concerned about that."

With Monday's breeze, the serious work for the Classic is completed. The next step is a Tuesday flight to Southern California and then light training over the Santa Anita course prior to Fort Larned attempting to equal the feat of Tiznow  , who won back-to-back Classics in 2000-01 and remains the only horse to do so.

"I'm very excited," Hernandez said. "This is what we get up in the morning for, to compete in big races like this and to go in there with the defending champion is very exciting."

"I feel good," Wilkes said. "The horse is right where you want him. He's doing really well. I'm very pleased with him."

Fort Larned's career record heading into the Classic stands at 10-2-1 in 24 races with earnings of $4,171,322.

In other news, Mort Fink's reigning Horse of the Year and Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) winner Wise Dan will be among seven horses to accompany Fort Larned on the flight to California for Breeders' Cup races.   

The Charles LoPresti-trained Wise Dan will bid for a second straight victory in the Mile.

The Sutton Forwarding Company flight will originate in New York with a stop scheduled in Louisville before it heads on to its final destination in Southern California.

Others scheduled to board the flight in Louisville (with Breeders' Cup races) are: Dimension (Turf Sprint [gr. I]), Havelock (Turf Sprint), Judy the Beauty (Filly & Mare Sprint [gr. I]), Medal Count (Juvenile [gr. I]), Starship Truffles (Filly & Mare Sprint [gr. I]), and Sum of the Parts (Sprint [gr. I]).

peeptoad

Quote from: Goldi on October 28, 2013, 07:35:55 AM
GRAYDAR is out of the Dirt Mile; quarter crack discovered yesterday. Pletcher hopeful he can return for the Cigar Mile.

Man that is one fragile horse...

peeptoad

Quote from: Kennedy on October 28, 2013, 09:41:36 AM

To be honest I had no idea what to do with a horse that was the best on paper in the Dirt Mile but was deemed by his trainer not to be doing well enough to make the Classic.

I'm a little disappointed that he's out because he would have taken serious money and I was prepared to look elsewhere...

Goldi

Posting just because . . . SHINY!  ;D  And a Smarty. And second choice on the ML for the Marathon. INDIAN JONES

jjacks1

Quote from: Goldi on October 29, 2013, 09:38:21 AM
Posting just because . . . SHINY!  ;D  And a Smarty. And second choice on the ML for the Marathon. INDIAN JONES

Oooh what a gorgeous guy! Thanks for the great pic!

Print
User actions