Main Menu

MOT's Derby Dozen

Started by Man o Taz, December 24, 2013, 08:42:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Man o Taz

So Tamarando is up for his big test this weekend...I hope he moves forward and takes this one. I do wonder why We Miss Artie is running back in this race rather than the Bluegrass Stakes since he won the Futurity at Keeneland last year. If Tamarando doesn't win I hope Smart Cover, Almost Famous, We Miss Artie and Arctic Slope do well.

Purse $550,000. (Includes $50,000 – KTDF - Kentucky TB Devt Fund). For Three-Year-Olds. One And One Eighth Miles. (All Weather Track)
PP   Horse   Virtual
Stable   A/S   Med   Jockey   Wgt   Trainer
1   Big Bazinga (KY)      3/G   L   L Contreras   123   K Vassilieva
2   Asserting Bear (ON)      3/C   L   J Rocco, Jr.   123   R Baker
3   Poker Player (KY)      3/C   L   C Hill                   123   W M Catalano
4   Tamarando (CA)      3/C   L   R A Baze           123   J Hollendorfer
5   Coastline (KY)              3/C   L   S Elliott           123   M E Casse
6   Smart Cover (KY)      3/C   L   C J Lanerie   123   D L Romans
7   All Tied Up (KY)              3/C   L   L Saez           123   T A Pletcher
8   Solitary Ranger (KY)      3/C   L   F Geroux           123   W M Catalano
9   Almost Famous (KY)      3/C   L   C H Borel           123   P B Byrne
10   Harry's Holiday (KY)      3/C   L   R Napravnik   123   M J Maker
11   We Miss Artie (ON)      3/C   L   J R Velazquez   123   T A Pletcher
12   Arctic Slope (KY)      3/C   L   A Jimenez           123   K G McPeek

Owners: 1 - Derby Dreamers Racing Stable (Robert S. Bates) ; 2 - Bear Stables, Ltd. (Danny Dion) ; 3 - Gary and Mary West ; 4 - Mr. and Mrs. Larry D. Williams ; 5 - John C. Oxley ; 6 - Donegal Racing (Jerry Crawford) ; 7 - Dogwood Stable (W. Cothran Campbell) ; 8 - Susan Moulton ; 9 - Chuck and Maribeth Sandford, LLC (Chuck and Maribeth Sandford) ; 10 - Skychai Racing, LLC (Harvey Diamond), Terry Raymond and Jana Wagner ; 11 - Kenneth L. and Sarah K. Ramsey ; 12 - Shortleaf Stable, Inc. (John Ed Anthony)

Breeders: 1 - Sheltowee Farm, Alfonso Mazzetti, Dr.Robert J Hunt & Rodney Winkle; 2 - John Carey; 3 - Nicholas M. Lotz, Rosemary K. Lotz &Harlan's Holiday Syndicate; 4 - Mr. & Mrs. Larry D. Williams; 5 - DATTT Farm, LLC; 6 - Keene Ridge Racing, LLC; 7 - Chris Cahill & Kirt Cahill; 8 - Richard Forbush & U S Ranger Syndicate; 9 - Stonestreet Thoroughbred Holdings LLC; 10 - Brereton C. Jones and B. Ned Jones; 11 - Richard L. Lister; 12 - Shortleaf Stable
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Dance With Gable

You know for whom I'll be pulling Taz!   ;)

Raven

Asserting Bear is my pick in this!!
call no man happy till he dies. ~SOLON~

Man o Taz

Well, a disappointing effort by Tamarando. I don't think he liked the track at all. After showing he could run on just about anything, he finally showed there was a surface he might not like.

Who knows, maybe he'll still get in with his 14 points. It only took ten last year.

Has anyone heard whether he had any other excuses besides appearing to not like the track?

Too bad about Honor Code being off the Derby trail.  Hope Mr. Speaker gets a shot in the Bluegrass Stakes.

Hopefully, he will be heeled up for summer racing.

Congrats to We Miss Artie rebounding from his poor showing in the Fountain of Youth. Looks like Mr. Ramsey will be represented by at least one horse in the Derby.

I do not know if he'll return to my next Derby list given that he does well on synthetic and not so well on dirt. Dullahan didn't win on dirt, but he at least got close with a third in the Kentucky Derby.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Man o Taz

Sorry to drop Tamarando and Honor Code from the list. Tamarando did not like the track at Turfway and I don't blame him with all the dust being kicked up. Its a shame because I think he might have fared well in the Derby, but he is unlikely to have enough points.

I can tell you who I will not be adding to my list...Constitution. A big, beautiful horse, who I do not think will have the bottom necessary to compete on the first Saturday in May. Unlike Hoppertunity, he has just not been tested.

I will be leaving Cairo Prince. He needed the race. I hope his second effort after a lay-off will be much more impressive. Will he get in with 24 points? I think so. He has the tiebreaker with $520,000 right now - and unless some horses further back jump ahead of him he should be fine since some of the top 20 may not make the gate.

I have Toast of New York, the impressive G2 UAE Derby winner who looked good winning at 9.5 furlongs in Dubai this weekend. I think its a matter of time before a UAE Derby winner wins the Kentucky Derby. No other horse in the field will have won at longer than TONY...

It looks like Mr. Speaker may be entering the Bluegrass Stakes after all. I still believe in this horse. Very sorry I will not be there to see it in person.

Derby point totals follow pedigree...

1. Cairo Prince (Pioneer of the Nile and Holy Bubbette by Holy Bull) 24
Next race: May 3 G1 Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs

2. Tapiture (Tapit and Free Spin by Olympio) 42
Next race:  Apr. 12. G1 Arkansas Derby at Oaklawn Park

3. California Chrome (Lucky Pulpit and Love the Chase by Mr. Prospector's Not For Love) 50
Next race: Apr. 5 G1 Santa Anita Derby at Santa Anita Park

4. Samraat (Noble Causeway and Little Indian Girl by Indian Charlie) 60
Next race: Apr. 5 G1 Wood Memorial at Aqueduct

5. Vicar's In Trouble (Into Mischief and Vibrant by Vicar) 120

6. Hoppertunity (Any Given Saturday and Refugee by Unaccounted For) 53
Next race: Apr. 5 G1 Santa Anita Derby at Santa Anita Park or Apr. 12. G1 Arkansas Derby at Oaklawn Park

7. Candy Boy (Candy Ride and She's and Eleven by In Excess) 10
Next race: April 5 G1 Santa Anita Derby at Santa Anita Park

8. Strong Mandate (Tiznow and Clear Mandate by Deputy Minister) 11
Next race: Apr. 12. G1 Arkansas Derby at Oaklawn Park

9. Wildcat Red (D'Wildcat and Racene by Miner's Mark) 90

10. General a Rod (Roman Ruler and Dynamite Eyes by Dynaformer) 40

11.  Ring Weekend (Tapit and Free The Magic by Cryptoclearance) 50
Next race: Apr. 5 Calder Derby at Calder Park or Apr. 15 G1 Bluegrass Stakes at Keeneland Race Course

12. Mr. Speaker (Pulpit and Salute by Unbridled)
Next race: Apr. 15 G1 Bluegrass Stakes at Keeneland Race Course

On The Bubble: Toast of New York (Thewayyourare by Kingmambo and Calire Soleil by Syncline by Danzig) 100
Next race: May 3 G1 Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs?

peeptoad

I am not sure how I feel about General a Rod coming out of the FL Derby. I quite liked him (though not my top prospect) prior to that race, but I really expected a better effort from him. Not sure if he is better around two turns, or regressed off the FOY effort. The connections seem happy enough with him, but he drops down for me...

With the four big preps still to come these are the main horses I am watching (in no real ranking order):

Hoppertunity- probably my top horse (tepidly) if he continues to improve. He runs 1-2-3 in the SA Derby and I think that sets him up nicely.
Samraat- I think this guy is way underrated. He's not flashy, but he gets the job done every time and has a nice pedigree as the distances increase.
California Chrome- on the flip side this guy might be a tad overrated, but there is no denying that last race. I'm concerned he may have peaked too soon with the huge effort in San Felipe; his previous top was ~15-20 pts lower. Hopefully he can hold his form for another 4-5 weeks.
Commanding Curve- he was the only horse making up any ground in the LA Derby and he did it after a terrible start in which he got wiped out and wound up about 2-3 lengths behind the rest of the field. If he avoid trouble (which he seems to find) and he manages to make the gate (short on points), then I love him at boxcar odds.
Ring Weekend- really has a lot to prove, but I like him and think it's interesting that he's taking a wildly unconventional route to the Derby.
General a Rod- previously mentioned. Maybe he'll take to the CD strip (I think he has a win there), and he could jump forward once out of FL (sheer speculation on my part)
Vicar's in Trouble- nice, horse, but Rosie is not going to be able to do in KY what she did in LA. He must rate with all the other speed signed on, and his closing fractions were not the best, even after an ideal trip.
Tapiture- hard to get past the trainer now, but still a solid horse. I'm skeptical he can go the distance though since all 3 full siblings have been sprinter-milers.

Horses I would rank lower (though any horse has a shot once they make the gate): Cairo Prince, Wildcat Red, Constitution. The former two probably do not want any more ground and the latter is woefully behind in seasoning/foundation.

...and I am sure Pletcher will find some other horse (Commissioner maybe?) to load into the gate. ::)

peeptoad

I forgot Social Inclusion... this year seems VERY wide open, mainly because a lot of the top horses have gotten knocked out for physical problems. SI is on my watch list. Need to see what he's got in the Wood before I can pass any sort of real judgement. My opinion of Honor Code prior to that allowance was lower than a lot of others', so the jury is still out on SI.

IMO of course...

Man o Taz

Peeptoad - what do you think about Mr. Speaker?

peeptoad

Quote from: Man o Taz on April 01, 2014, 05:54:13 AM
Peeptoad - what do you think about Mr. Speaker?

Honestly, he looks like not much more than a very nice turf miler to me at this stage. If he wins the Bluegrass and looks really good doing it, then I might consider him for exotics in the Derby, depending on how the field shapes up, post position, etc. Too bad he is not going to one of the final dirt preps because I think we'd learn a lot more about him that way. A turf horse going the KEE synth route is pretty standard.

Man o Taz

Good points. I hope he does well and his pedigree shows the Gulfstream effort on dirt to be an aberration.

Man o Taz

Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen
http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/kentucky-derby-dozen/archive/2014/03/31/derby-dozen-march-31-2014-presented-by-shadwell-farm.aspx

1. California Chrome
2. Hopperunity
3. Candy Boy
4. Constitution
5. Tapiture
6. Ring Weekend
7. Intense Holiday
8. General a Rod
9. Samraat
10. Cairo Prince
11. Vicar's In Trouble
12. Uncle Sigh

I have 9 of 12 this week. Don't know if that's good or bad - as things thin out its probably expected.

I do not understand jumping horses like Constitution to the top off a 9 furlong win and dropping a horse like Cairo Prince so far down.

It will truly be interested to see if this trio of California horses deliver as this list suggests they should.

Dance With Gable

You go Stevie Baby!!!

Too bad he's obviously got concerns as to whether Bayern is headed there and Indianapolis definitely isn't ... or SoCal may have had his Top 5 slots ... As I, personally, think they're better than Candy Boy and Hoppertunity.

But I'm happy with the Top 3.  8)

Man o Taz

NYT's Top Ten
Joe Drape and Melissa Hoppert
March 30, 2014
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/31/sports/the-derby-dartboard.html?_r=0

1. California Chrome
2. Toast of New York
3. Ring Weekend
4. Samraat
5. Wildcat Red
6. Cairo Prince
7. General a Rod
8. Uncle Sigh
9. Constitution
10. Hoppertunity

7 of 10 here - seems like everyone has the same horses give or take a few...(SMILE)

DRF Top 20
Jay Privman/Mike Watchmaker
March 26, 2014
http://www.drf.com/events/kentucky-derby-top-20-churchill-downs
1. Cairo Prince
2. California Chrome
3. Tapiture
4. Candy Boy
5. Hopperunity
6. Social Inclusion
7. General a Rod
8. Intense Holiday
9. Wildcat Red
10. Chitu
11. Constitution
12. Samraat
13. In Trouble
14. Ring Weekend
15. Strong Mandate
16. Albano
17. Midnight Hawk
18. Ride on Curlin
19. Uncle Sigh
20. We Miss Artie

peeptoad

The Privman -Watchmaker list should be updated by tonight or tomorrow. I would be surprised if Cairo Prince is still in the top spot.

The Tin Man

Bayern isn't in the Santa Anita Derby this Saturday ... So I can now officially trash my future wager ticket. Certainly no Kentucky Derby for him now.  :-X

He'd been training pretty steadily lately, so I was holding out hope.

Print
User actions