Main Menu

MOT's Derby Dozen

Started by Man o Taz, December 24, 2013, 08:42:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Man o Taz

Hopefully this will be the last defection.

I was surprised only 21 horses entered the derby because I thought they allowed two AEs.

Big Bazinga might have made it.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

peeptoad

Quote from: Man o Taz on May 01, 2014, 08:20:18 AM
Big Bazinga might have made it.

Thankfully his owners had more sense and entered in the turf undercard race. Pablo del Monte will surely spice up the early pace. Chrome better have his running shoes because I think the pace will be hot.

Dusty

Quote from: Senator L on April 30, 2014, 06:57:56 AM
I hope they tighten up the track

I hope they DO NOT - hate when Churchill does that
May they run with the wind

Man o Taz

Race 11 - Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (Grade I)

Purse $2,000,000. For Three-Year-Olds, With An Entry Fee Of $25,000 Each And A Starting Fee Of $25,000 Each. Supplemental nominations may be made upon payment of $200,000 and in accordance with the rules set forth herein. Churchill Downs Racetrack shall guarantee a minimum gross purse of $2,000,000. The winner shall receive $1,240,000, second place shall receive $400,000, third place shall receive $200,000, fourth place shall receive $100,000 and fifth place shall receive $60,000 from the Guaranteed Purse. CDRT, in its sole and absolute discretion, may set the number of starters up to a maximum of 20 and the number of horses that are also-eligible to start up to a maximum of four. Colts and Geldings shall each carry a weight of 126 pounds; Fillies shall each carry 121 pounds. In the event that more than the Number of Starting and AE Positions pass through the entry box at the Closing, the starters and also-eligible horses shall be determined at the Closing from Original Nominees and Supplemental Nominees if starting and/or also-eligible positions are still viable, with preference given to those horses that have accumulated the most points pursuant to the Road to the Kentucky Derby Point System. One And One Fourth Miles.
P#           PP           Horse    Virtual
Stable   A/S         Med      Jockey  Wgt        Trainer  M/L
1              1              Vicar's in Trouble (LA)                    3/C         L              R Napravnik        126         M J Maker           30/1
2              2              Harry's Holiday (KY)                         3/C         L              C J Lanerie           126         M J Maker           50/1
3              3              Uncle Sigh (NY)                                3/C         L              I Ortiz, Jr.             126         G C Contessa     30/1
4              4              Danza (KY)                                          3/C         L              J Bravo                  126         T A Pletcher        10/1
5              5              California Chrome (CA)                  3/C         L              V Espinoza          126         A Sherman          5/2
6              6              Samraat (NY)                                     3/C         L              J L Ortiz                 126         R A Violette, Jr. 15/1
7              7              We Miss Artie (ON)                        3/C         L              J Castellano        126         T A Pletcher        50/1
8              8              General a Rod (KY)                          3/C         L              J Rosario              126         M J Maker           15/1
9              9              Vinceremos (KY)                              3/C         L              J Rocco, Jr.          126         T A Pletcher        30/1
10           10           Wildcat Red (FL)                              3/C         L              L Saez                    126         J Garoffalo          15/1
11           11           Hoppertunity (KY)                           3/C         L              M E Smith            126         B Baffert              6/1
12           12           Dance With Fate (FL)                      3/C         L              C S Nakatani       126         P Eurton               20/1
13           13           Chitu (KY)                                            3/C         L              M Garcia              126         B Baffert              20/1
14           14           Medal Count (KY)                            3/C         L              R Albarado          126         D L Romans         20/1
15           15           Tapiture (KY)                                      3/C         L              R Santana, Jr.     126         S M Asmussen  15/1
16           16           Intense Holiday (KY)                      3/C         L              J R Velazquez     126         T A Pletcher        12/1
17           17           Commanding Curve (KY)               3/R         L              S Bridgmohan    126         D Stewart            50/1
18           18           Candy Boy (KY)                                 3/C         L              G L Stevens        126         J W Sadler           20/1
19           19           Ride On Curlin (KY)                          3/C         L              C H Borel              126         W G Gowan        15/1
20           20           Wicked Strong (KY)                         3/C         L              R Maragh             126         J A Jerkens          8/1
Also Eligibles:
21           21           Pablo Del Monte (FL)                     3/C         L              J Sanchez             126         W A Ward            50/1

Owners: 1 - Kenneth L. and Sarah K. Ramsey; 2 - Skychai Racing LLC, Sand Dollar Stable LLC, Raymond, T. and Wagner, J.; 3 - Wounded Warrior Stables (Chip McEwen) and Anthony C. Robertson; 4 - Eclipse Thoroughbred Partners (Aron Wellman); 5 - Steven Coburn and Perry Martin; 6 - My Meadowview Farm (Leonard Riggio); 7 - Kenneth L. and Sarah K. Ramsey; 8 - Skychai Racing LLC and Starlight Racing; 9 - WinStar Farm LLC and Twin Creeks Racing Stables, LLC; 10 - Honors Stable Corp. (Salvatore Delfino and Josie Martino Delfino); 11 - Mike Pegram, Karl Watson and Paul Weitman; 12 - Alesia, Sharon, Bran Jam Stable and Ciaglia Racing LLC; 13 - Tanma Corporation (Susan Chu); 14 - Spendthrift Farm, LLC (B. Wayne Hughes); 15 - Winchell Thoroughbreds, LLC (Ron Winchell); 16 - Starlight Racing (Jack Wolf, et al.); 17 - West Point Thoroughbreds, LLC (Terrence Finley); 18 - C R K Stable (Lee Searing); 19 - Daniel J. Dougherty; 20 - Centennial Farms (Donald V. Little, Jr.); 21 - Susan Magnier, Derrick Smith, Michael B. Tabor and Wesley Ward

Breeders: 1 - Spendthrift Farm LLC; 2 - Brereton C. Jones and B. Ned Jones; 3 - Milfer Farm Inc.; 4 - Liberation Farm & Brandywine Farm; 5 - Perry Martin & Steve Coburn; 6 - My Meadowview LLC; 7 - Richard L. Lister; 8 - Hare Forest Farm; 9 - Machmer Hall; 10 - Moreau Bloodstock International, Inc. &Winter Racing Enterprise, I; 11 - Betz/D.J. Stable/Kidder/J. Betz/Robenalt; 12 - Best A Luck Farm LLC; 13 - Tom Evans, Macon Wilmil Equines &Marjac Farms; 14 - Stonestreet Thoroughbred Holdings LLC; 15 - Winchell Thoroughbreds LLC; 16 - Machmer Hall & Haymarket Farm; 17 - T. F. VanMeter; 18 - Lee Searing & Susan Searing; 19 - G. Watts Humphrey Jr. & Louise IrelandHumphrey Revocable Trust - 2008; 20 - William F. Lynn; 21 - Wesley A. Ward

Equipment Changes: 3 - Uncle Sigh - Blinkers On

"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Man o Taz

Quote from: Dusty on May 01, 2014, 07:37:53 PM
I hope they DO NOT - hate when Churchill does that

I hope they have finally learned how to manage their track surface...

Seeing how the track is handled on various big racing days appears to be an enigma...totally unpredictable.

peeptoad

Pablo won't run... "only" 19 this year. And if Churchill soups up the track so it's speed-favoring I will personally send a hit man out.
:evil:

Man o Taz

Just heard on HRRN that they are moving them out from the rail so Wicked Strong gets the worst of it having to stay in post 20 even though only 19 horses will be running.

Too bad. Hopefully he'll still get a good trip.

I'd like he and California Chrome to dead heat...with Commanding Curve taking third...

But who knows what will happen.

Man o Taz

So, out of 20 horses in the gate, 2 of them were on my first Kentucky Derby list in late December.

They finished 10th (We Miss Artie) and 15th (Tapiture).

Still a lot of fun putting the lists together.

Delamont

Well, mine were Havana, Albano, and Midnight Hawk, so there ya go.
Somebody bet on the gray!

Man o Taz

It just shows the best horses as 2 year olds are not figuring into the Triple Crown in the last two years.

I think Union Rags was the last G1 winner (Champagne Stakes) at 2 years old to win a Triple Crown race.

I'll have another finished in the money in two G1 races at two, but he didn't win.

Mine That Bird was a two year old champion in Canada.

Street Sense I think is the last Kentucky Derby winner to win a G1 race (BC Juvenile) at two.

Lookin At Lucky is the last Preakness Stakes winner to win a G1 race at two (Del Mar Futurity, Norfolk, and Hollywood Futurity).

Just an interesting statistic.

Print
User actions