MOT's Derby Dozen

Started by Man o Taz, December 24, 2013, 08:42:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Man o Taz

Are the best Derby prospects in CA right now?

I don't know...

It certainly seems like the fastest ones are looking at Indianapolis, Candy Boy, and now with Shared Belief back in training.

I'll put up my next list after the Fountain of Youth.

"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Dusty

Quote from: The Tin Man on February 04, 2014, 05:38:03 PM
Re: The next KD Futures this week/end ...

While I'm bummed that Indianapolis will be starting off at 20-1(Lower than I thought) ... I, of course, am going to be plunking down a few bucks on him

And California Chrome, opening at 50-1, will take some coin from me too! He was UBER-impressive last time out ... plus his owner took a liking to my girlfriend pre-race, so we got to do the winner's circle after the race. That was fun!

SO cool - and I am seeing Shared Belief is looking good and back to training!
May they run with the wind

Man o Taz

Quote from: Man o Taz on February 06, 2014, 12:33:09 PM
Any word on where Tamarando might go next? He's still at 50-1.

Found him - El Camino Real Derby - Saturday at Golden Gate Park...and he looks like the class of the field.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Senator L

I'm still waiting for a couple to start Havana and Rise Up and Rankhasprivileges.
Without any good contests and horses having 1 or 2 starts before the derby
its hard to get to excited just yet. (for me this year anyway)
But a horse will jump out soon enough, happens every year :chickendance:

The Tin Man

What the heck ... My current Cali Derby Trail Top 5 ... in order ...

Shared Belief
Indianapolis
California Chrome
Candy Boy
Bayern

Man o Taz

Tamarando did well as did my Tapiture and Strong Mandate as well.

Where is Indianapolis pointed next? The San Felipe? The Rebel?

Catalina

IndyStar.com did a write up on the colt today, and mentioned the San Felipe or the Rebel Stakes as possible for stretching him out.

Man o Taz

Thanks.

I wonder if Tamarando is pointed to the Louisiana Derby now...since Shared Belief will likely head to the Santa Anita Derby. I thought his connections were looking to so that at the beginning of the year.

Horse Racing Nation has him pointed to the G3 Spiral Stakes - I guess keeping him on synthetic. 

If he is coming that far East, I'd prefer to see him in the Bluegrass Stakes on polytrack. That's the surface that he won his G1 over.

Man o Taz

I said I was going to wait...but thought I'd catch up.

KEY - Three Year Old - Pedigree - Derby Points Total/Las Vegas Odds Last Check/(Previous odds)

1. Cairo Prince (Pioneer of the Nile and Holy Bubbette by Holy Bull) 14/10-1(12-1)
Next race: Mar. 29 G1 Florida Derby at Gulfstream Park

2. Honor Code (A.P. Indy and by Serena's Cat by Storm Cat) 14/12-1(15-1)
Next race: Mar. 1 G2 Gotham Stakes at Aqueduct

3. Shared Belief (Candy Ride and Common Hope by Storm Cat) 0/15-1(18-1)
Next race: Mar. 8  G2 San Felipe Stakes Santa Anita Park

4. Tamarando (Bertrando and Tamarack Bay by Dehere) 12/25-1(50-1)
Next race: Mar. 22 G3 Spiral Stakes at Turfway Park

5. Tapiture (Tapit and Free Spin by Olympio) 10/18-1(28-1)
Next race:  Mar. 15. G2 Rebel Stakes at Oaklawn Park

6. Strong Mandate (Tiznow and Clear Mandate by Deputy Minister) 6/20-1(30-1)
Next race: Mar. 15 G2 Rebel Stakes at Oaklawn Park

7. California Chrome (Lucky Pulpit and Love the Chase by Mr. Prospector's Not For Love) 0/85-1

8. Bond Holder (Mineshaft and Cielo Girl by Conquistador Cielo) 11/50-1(50-1)
Next race: Feb. 22 Risen Star Stakes at The Fairgrounds

9. Havana (Dunkirk and Missy Turtle by Kyle's Our Man) 14/40-1(40-1)
Next race: Mar. 1 G3 Swale Stakes at Gulfstream Park.

10. Indianapolis (Medaglia d'Oro and Pretty Smart by Beau Genius) 50-1(65-1)
Next race: Mar. 8  G2 San Felipe Stakes Santa Anita Park or Mar. 15 G2 Rebel Stakes at Oaklawn Park or Mar. 29 G2 Louisiana Derby at the Fairgrounds?

11. Vicar's In Trouble (Into Mischief and Vibrant by Vicar) 10/20-1(n/a)
Next race: Feb. 22 G2 Risen Star at The Fairgrounds

We Miss Artie (Artie Schiller and Athena's Gift by Fusaichi Pegasus) 10/85-1(100-1)
Next race: G2 Fountain of Youth Stakes at Gulfstream Park

Honorable Mentions:

Top Billing (Curlin and Parade Queen by A.P. Indy) 0/14-1 (n/a)

Bayern (Offlee Wild and Alittlebitearly by Thunder Gulch) 0/40-1(n/a)
Next race: Mar. 8  G2 San Felipe Stakes Santa Anita Park  seems too close so Mar. 15 Rebel Stakes at Oaklawn Park?

Dropped

Laddie Boy (War Pass and Lil's Lassie by Lil's Lad) 4/125-1(125-1)
No sign of him anywhere so I am dropping him for now. 

Mr. Speaker (Pulpit and Salute by Unbridled) 0/100-1(150-1)
I still like this horse, but I dropped him since I do not know if he'll stay on turf or possibly try the Bluegrass Stakes. If this happens, he'll rejoin my list.

Tap It Rich (Tapit and Gold Canyon by Mr. Prospector) 0/25-1(25-1)
Dropped because of his inconsistency. Perhaps he will be ready for summer racing. He was second to Bayern, but 15 lengths second?

The Tin Man

Quote from: Man o Taz on February 19, 2014, 06:58:26 AM
I said I was going to wait...but thought I'd catch up.

KEY - Three Year Old - Pedigree - Derby Points Total/Las Vegas Odds Last Check/(Previous odds)

1. Cairo Prince (Pioneer of the Nile and Holy Bubbette by Holy Bull) 14/10-1(12-1)
Next race: Mar. 29 G1 Florida Derby at Gulfstream Park

2. Honor Code (A.P. Indy and by Serena's Cat by Storm Cat) 14/12-1(15-1)
Next race: Mar. 1 G2 Gotham Stakes at Aqueduct

3. Shared Belief (Candy Ride and Common Hope by Storm Cat) 0/15-1(18-1)

4. Tamarando (Bertrando and Tamarack Bay by Dehere) 12/25-1(50-1)
Next race: Mar. 22 G3 Spiral Stakes at Turfway Park

5. Tapiture (Tapit and Free Spin by Olympio) 10/18-1(28-1)
Next race:  Mar. 15. G2 Rebel Stakes at Oaklawn Park

6. Strong Mandate (Tiznow and Clear Mandate by Deputy Minister) 6/20-1(30-1)
Next race: Mar. 15 G2 Rebel Stakes at Oaklawn Park

7. California Chrome (Lucky Pulpit and Love the Chase by Mr. Prospector's Not For Love) 0/85-1

8. Bond Holder (Mineshaft and Cielo Girl by Conquistador Cielo) 11/50-1(50-1)
Next race: Feb. 22 Risen Star Stakes at The Fairgrounds

9. Havana (Dunkirk and Missy Turtle by Kyle's Our Man) 14/40-1(40-1)
Next race: Mar. 1 G3 Swale Stakes at Gulfstream Park.

10. Indianapolis (Medaglia d'Oro and Pretty Smart by Beau Genius) 50-1(65-1)
Next race: Mar. 8  G2 San Felipe Stakes Santa Anita Park or Mar. 15 G2 Rebel Stakes at Oaklawn Park

11. Vicar's In Trouble (Into Mischief and Vibrant by Vicar) 10/20-1(n/a)
Next race: Feb. 22 G2 Risen Star at The Fairgrounds

We Miss Artie (Artie Schiller and Athena's Gift by Fusaichi Pegasus) 10/85-1(100-1)

Honorable Mentions:

Top Billing (Curlin Parade by A.P. Indy) 0/14-1

Laddie Boy (War Pass and Lil's Lassie by Lil's Lad) 4/125-1(125-1)
No sign of him anywhere so I am dropping him for now. 

Mr. Speaker (Pulpit and Salute by Unbridled) 0/100-1(150-1)
I still like this horse, but I dropped him since I do not know if he'll stay on turf or possibly try the Bluegrass Stakes. If this happens, he'll rejoin my list.

Tap It Rich (Tapit and Gold Canyon by Mr. Prospector) 0/25-1(25-1)
Dropped because of his inconsistency. Perhaps he will be ready for summer racing.

Hmmmm ... No Bayern eh Taz?   :)

Man o Taz

What do you read my mind, or something? (SMILE)

I am a huge Bayern Munich fan - and I actually was just reading a couple of articles on him...and thought I need to add him to my Honorable Mention list.

I love his breeding...especially on top with BC Classic winner Wild Again - one of my favorite horses I ever have had the pleasure to meet...

But he did only win at a mile...while I have commissioner on my list he has two wins at 9 furlongs...though they are not stakes wins...the filed he beat in the last one had some quality.

I have always been a Tap It Rich fan...so seeing him finish second was rewarding...but I still had to drop him...hopefully only temporarily... from my list.

BaroqueAgain1

Bond Holder is out of the Risen Star.
   http://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoroughbred-racing/injury-forces-bond-holder-to-miss-risen-star/
   "He got banged up quite badly on his flight to the New Orleans," owner J. Paul Reddam told Haskins. "We hoped it would be superficial and he would be fine for Saturday, but it is worse than we thought so we are going to have to scratch him."
  This situation serves as a reminder that shipping high-strung colts around the country is not as easy as load-fly-unload. Every time a racehorse (or jumper, reining or dressage horse) walks up the ramp onto a plane, there is a very real possibility that something bad could happen...thousands of feet in the air and with few options to handle a frantic 1000-1200 lb. animal.

Catalina

Quote from: BaroqueAgain1 on February 19, 2014, 12:56:06 PM
  Bond Holder is out of the Risen Star.
   http://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoroughbred-racing/injury-forces-bond-holder-to-miss-risen-star/
   “He got banged up quite badly on his flight to the New Orleans,” owner J. Paul Reddam told Haskins. “We hoped it would be superficial and he would be fine for Saturday, but it is worse than we thought so we are going to have to scratch him.”
  This situation serves as a reminder that shipping high-strung colts around the country is not as easy as load-fly-unload. Every time a racehorse (or jumper, reining or dressage horse) walks up the ramp onto a plane, there is a very real possibility that something bad could happen...thousands of feet in the air and with few options to handle a frantic 1000-1200 lb. animal.

If he got banged up that badly, I am surprised they are planning to coax him onto another airplane for the return trip.

Man o Taz

Too bad for BH.

Islandgirl45

Quote from: Catalina on February 19, 2014, 08:42:31 PM
If he got banged up that badly, I am surprised they are planning to coax him onto another airplane for the return trip.

Well, apparently they tried ... unsuccessfully. Someone posted on TBC that O'Neill Racing wrote on its Facebook page BH had been put on a plane to go back to SoCal ... and then this post showed up later on the same page.

• "Bond Holder was not happy flying and was routed to Florida. Luckily, we had nominated him to the Tampa Bay Derby and so we will keep him in Florida to run there on March 8. Audible called, but that is horse racing!"

Print
User actions