Tackiest BC coverage ever - thanks NBC

Started by jjacks1, November 02, 2013, 06:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bookman

Quote from: Blue Jeans on November 04, 2013, 07:24:42 AM
And people ask why this sport is on the decline? 

It's the people, stupid, not the horses! 

For some reason, thought this forum might be different.  Oh well .....

Petty bickering and namecalling on the internet has absolutely nothing to do with the decline of horseracing.
It's just a sign of the times, nothing more.

If you want to see hostility, go to a football forum...........this pales in comparison.

Blue Jeans

Quote from: Bookman on November 04, 2013, 07:41:45 AM

Petty bickering and namecalling on the internet has absolutely nothing to do with the decline of horseracing.
It's just a sign of the times, nothing more.

If you want to see hostility, go to a football forum...........this pales in comparison.

Trust me, people are the main problems with horse racing.  Just think about it!

Same with the internet!   :(
A horse doesn't care how much you know, until he knows how much you care. ~Pat Parelli

Horse sense, n.: Stable thinking. ~Author Unknown

The Tin Man

Quote from: Vic in Chicago on November 03, 2013, 03:11:30 PM
Quote from: Ballerina on November 03, 2013, 01:54:48 PM

And Mchorseracecall - you've got the rest of your life to be a pain in the neck - take a day off once in a while.

What the hell does that have to do with anything?  You are one annoying little twit.  You need therapy to deal with your OCD.

Ballerina, with all due respect...differences of opinion are one thing.  But one of the reasons this Board exists is because a lot of us wanted to get away from all the personal insults on the TBC Board.  Thank you.

I haven't read this thread, so what I'm about to say has nothing to do with anything said in it specifically ... but as far as the sentiment of what you just said ... I 100% concur ... I'm at this board instead of the other because I'm done with the vileness by those who are the bad seeds there ...

So far I've found this board to have a much better tone ... my hope is for that to continue and for this board to thrive with those who enjoy constructive diatribe and being treated with respect.

The Tin Man

I'd like to add that this has been a refreshing change for me personally ... and I applaud the efforts of Chrystna and Jeannette here!  Its SOOOOOO appreciated!

jjacks1

You are such a sweetie, Tin Man, thank you!  :hug: And I can promise that we will do our best to make sure the board stays positive and happy. There are enough negative things in life - why bring them to a hobby you enjoy? I can get enough rudeness is real life - I come here to  get away from it.  :)
Funny thing about nasty Internet people - if they were looking at you face-to-face, they would never be as nasty as they are when they can hide behind the "Net. Probably because they would be afraid of the black eye they might get!  :lmao:
Just another sh*tty day in Paradise

jjacks1

I'm on Vic's side.   :thanks:

Don't give up on us yet dear! The Best Is Yet To Come!  ;D

The Tin Man

Quote from: jjacks1 on November 04, 2013, 09:45:51 AM
You are such a sweetie, Tin Man, thank you!  :hug: And I can promise that we will do our best to make sure the board stays positive and happy. There are enough negative things in life - why bring them to a hobby you enjoy? I can get enough rudeness is real life - I come here to  get away from it.  :)
Funny thing about nasty Internet people - if they were looking at you face-to-face, they would never be as nasty as they are when they can hide behind the "Net. Probably because they would be afraid of the black eye they might get!  :lmao:

Beautifully stated ... I concur ... and you're welcome ... its sincere.

Blue Jeans

Quote from: jjacks1 on November 04, 2013, 09:47:09 AM

I'm on Vic's side.   :thanks:

Don't give up on us yet dear! The Best Is Yet To Come!  ;D

Have the highest of High Hopes with The Best Is Yet To Come for the gutsy jjacks and Zenyatta!  You two have worked hard to make this a friendly place ... and we really do appreciate it.

Again, my sincere thanks.
A horse doesn't care how much you know, until he knows how much you care. ~Pat Parelli

curtis

Quote from: Ballerina on November 03, 2013, 06:26:34 AM
Why did I know I was going to get a lecture? :lmao:

I don't like Trevor Denman's voice.  It gets on my nerves.  You're just going to have to learn that not everyone embraces your icon.

We're having construction work done to our house so I recorded the BC and blasted through the majority of the broadcast while stopping for the races and a couple of other things.  We watched Toni Braxton do the anthem (very nice and unlike James Taylor, at the World Series, she remembered what song she was performing).  My wife is a fan of Broadway performers in general and Kristin Chenoweth in particular but thought she went off the rails a bit with the ending of her piece.  My wife looked at me at the end of the Classic and said "Who is that race caller?!  He seems to just go up a couple of octaves on the final turn arbitrarily."  I explained he's quite well thought of and calls for all of the NBC major broadcasts as well as his regular gigs at Monmouth and Gulfstream.  She asked me what I thought of him and I said he's the perfect network caller as he has the perfect blend of competency and milk toast.  So it's ironic that two of my favorite callers--Michael Wrona and Robert Geller--would never get such a gig because their witty calls can sometimes verge into the realm of tacky.  Then in what is being billed here as the Tackiest Coverage Ever one of the leaders in the coverage is actually the antithesis of tacky.

Kennedy

I found that the "primetime" section of the BC telecast attempted too much glitz and glamor with marginal celebrities and reporters we've never heard of.

I'm not sure who decided the Breeders' Cup needs a song. To me it's a 3rd rate knock off of the Triple Crown races who are really just a knock off of the Derby.

My Old Kentucky home really works before the Derby. People get it, it's nostalgic, appropriate and emotional. It's a fitting anthem for the event like "you'll never walk alone" prior to a liverpool match. The song fits the event.

All of the other songs before races just seem awkwardly contrived and the BC Classic theme song is by far the worst of the lot. I don't think the song fits the mood at all. In my opinion people are looking for an anthem if they want any song at all. "The Best Is Yet To Come" is nothing like an anthem.

Blue Jeans

Forgot where I asked this question, so I'll ask again.

What happened to Tony Bennett to sing "The Best Is Yet To Come" at this year's BC?  Remember reading at PR earlier in the year that he would be the one, or I thought I did!

That's the trouble with the older folks, health issues always something to consider.  Hope he's alright.

jjacks1

Quote from: Blue Jeans on November 04, 2013, 11:35:48 AM

What happened to Tony Bennett to sing "The Best Is Yet To Come" at this year's BC?  Remember reading at PR earlier in the year that he would be the one, or I thought I did!

That's the trouble with the older folks, health issues always something to consider.  Hope he's alright.

Me too. I think he would have been the better singer got the song.  :)

Bookman

Quote from: Blue Jeans on November 04, 2013, 11:35:48 AM

I don't think he was supposed to sing this year.
He did at the 2012 Breeders' Cup.

BaroqueAgain1

NBCSN's coverage was pretty good...mostly horses, races and the people who were involved with the horses. But when the coverage for the Classic switched over to the network....good grief!
  Bad singing (sorry, Kristin, but that was not your best), silly celebrities, foolish fashions, Joan Rivers?!? Just looking at her makes me want to gag...her voice is worse...so why did someone at NBC think viewers wanted to hear her pick for the race?
  I think that the NBC producers were convinced by some "experts" (who clearly know nothing about horse racing) that the race coverage should be treated like an awards show, instead of a sporting event. The only thing missing was a red carpet.
  I'm reading that ratings for the coverage are down. After Saturday's miserable mishmash of a show, I can't imagine that many people are going to want to tune in next year.
  If the whole thing moves to NBCSN next year, that would be fine with me...the cable station's tone was much more sport-oriented...but that's because I have the channel. I think lots of fans don't.

jjacks1

I couldn't agree with you more!  :) But the problem is lots of people don't get NBCSN and with my old cable company, Time Warner, it was a whole package add on. (God forbid you should be allowed to add just ONE channel). Luckily I switched to Direct TV and its included in our sports package. Time Warner =  :evil:

Print
User actions