Which Horses Are Going To The Preakness

Started by afleetphil, May 03, 2015, 07:39:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

afleetphil

Will Dortmund go or does Baffert hold him out as too much competition For American Pharoah's triple crown bid. Who else is going.

The Tin Man

I think it was pretty evident the distance was a little to far for Dortmund, so I figure he goes to The Preakness ... but not The Belmont.

peeptoad

serenassong

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
Mythbusters

Man o Taz

Bhodisattva
Competitive Edge
Danzig Moon
Divining Rod
International Star
Mr. Z, of course. (roll eyes)

That's 9...

And who knows who might come in from some of the other preps...

"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

curtis

Quote from: The Tin Man on May 03, 2015, 07:59:14 AM
I think it was pretty evident the distance was a little to far for Dortmund, so I figure he goes to The Preakness ... but not The Belmont.

I actually don't think the distance is what beat Dortmund but just the way the race set up.  He wouldn't have won at 9f and he's proven at that distance.  American Pharoah is just a better horse and Firing Line has a better turn of foot.  Dortmund is a true galloper.  I think he could get 12f just fine.  He's similar to Moreno only I like Dortmund a little more than him.  I doubt that Dortmund will still be running until age 5 though.  I'd really like to see Dortmund try turf but that might necessitate a change of trainers.

Man o Taz

Some have also suggested that the rail was the worst part of the track to run over so Dortmund may have suffered from that as well.

Firing Line and American Pharoah were off the rail which may have helped them accelerate better in the stretch.

I still believe Dortmund with the right set up may beat American Pharoah and Firing Line.

I wonder if they all go to the Haskell or if one tries the Jim Dandy.

I think it would be interesting to see these three with Carpe Diem and Materiality at 9 furlongs over a fast track like Monmouth.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Catalina

Aside from that, Dortmund is a BIG horse.  All that muscle comes in handy in a racehorse, but it's heavy.  There's no doubt a fine line between the max amount of muscle for the job, and too much extra muscle weight.

curtis

I think that Dortmund's size is usually way overblown.  The fastest 10f ever run by an American three-year-old on dirt was completed by Quack a horse at least as tall as Dortmund and much heavier in body.  Of course their styles were dissimilar and therein lies the primary difference.

Raven

Curtis,did you see Quack race?
call no man happy till he dies. ~SOLON~

Delamont

What about Frosted?  Is he aimed at the Preakness?
Somebody bet on the gray!

Man o Taz

Quote from: Delamont on May 06, 2015, 06:07:38 AM
What about Frosted?  Is he aimed at the Preakness?

No. He is pointing to the Jim Dandy and the Travers Stakes, but his connections indicated that he could go in the Belmont Stakes if he is training sharply at that point and wants a race.

Delamont

Quote from: Man o Taz on May 06, 2015, 07:18:04 AM
No. He is pointing to the Jim Dandy and the Travers Stakes, but his connections indicated that he could go in the Belmont Stakes if he is training sharply at that point and wants a race.

Thanks.  I'm no expert, but he seems to be a deep closer who might do well in the Belmont.
Somebody bet on the gray!

curtis

Quote from: Raven on May 05, 2015, 05:04:58 PM
Curtis,did you see Quack race?
Indeed I did.  Save for Anniversary Year and Border Run--my two knuckle-headed OTTB's--he's my all-time favorite.

serenassong

In regards to Dortmund- I saw somewhere that he had a case of colic before the Derby- so he may not have been 100%.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
Mythbusters

Print
User actions