Breeders' Cup Longshots?

Started by Zenyatta, October 25, 2013, 02:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zenyatta

Joe Talamo's been working Moreno, who will be in the BC Dirt Mile.  I don't think he'll be THAT big of a longshot (Golden Cents, if entered here, will probably be one of the favorites), but if he can relax, I could see him upsetting.  Too bad the horse has such a er .... bleepity-bleep for a trainer.

Kennedy

Moreno would be a great pick in the Dirt Mile. Unfortunately he was only entered in the Classic.

You'll get a good price in the classic but you have to be quite a bit more brave.

Zenyatta

Quote from: Kennedy on October 26, 2013, 09:49:02 AM
Moreno would be a great pick in the Dirt Mile. Unfortunately he was only entered in the Classic.

You'll get a good price in the classic but you have to be quite a bit more brave.

I had no idea, Kennedy.  **red faced**  The mile would have been a better spot for him. I don't think Verrazano is unbeatable, or any horse in that race for that matter.

peeptoad

I was just looking at the Dirt Mile pre-entries earlier this morning as a matter of fact. IMO any early speed type that can hang around until the finish in that race is going to really earn it. There is an overabundance of speed in that race, esp. with the news that Graydar will go there instead of the Classic.
I'm really liking Brujo de Olleros in this race. He appears to be in good form, and will definitely benefit from the projected pace. Hymn Book is another that deserves a look. He will probably take some money, and might be better on an off-track (which he likely won't get), but should be running at the end. Pants on Fire is currently my 3rd choice there.
It bears noting that in the short history of this race the favorite has never won.

Zenyatta

Anyone got the PPs to post in a new thread? I'd like to pick Chips All In as my longshot pick but I doubt with his experience running down the hill that he'll go off at much higher than 5-1.

Kennedy

Quote from: Zenyatta on October 26, 2013, 10:35:44 AM
Anyone got the PPs to post in a new thread? I'd like to pick Chips All In as my longshot pick but I doubt with his experience running down the hill that he'll go off at much higher than 5-1.

Chips All in will be one of the favorites. He'll be on just about everyone's short list for this race. He still might be good value though because he has a huge chance. loves the course and has better tactical speed than some of the other big contenders.

Senator L

I like kittens dumplings in the fm turf. She always comes running and I think the added distance will be ok. Should be dbl digits.
Good luck

FT-TBC-TRF

I like Alterite more in the F&M Turf......she's gonna get the best of Kittens Dumplings this time~

The Tin Man

Stepping out of the box here ... But that's what longshots are for eh? Upsets.

Wise Dan goes down to either No Jet Lag(8-1) or He Be Fire N Ice(15-1) ... Maybe to both of them.

These guys are really firing on all cylinders right now.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Flintknapper

DRF has Laughing at 8-1. No way that will hold, but if it did, she'd be mine. Broadway Empire (Dirt Mile, 12-1) and Testa Rossi (Juvie Fillies Turf, 8-1) are two others I'm looking at. I haven't worked on the Turf, Sprint or Classic yet.

peeptoad

Haven't gotten a chance to fully look at the pps yet (at least for Sat.), but if Romantica stays at or near the 20-1 ML in the FM Turf that's gold.
I liked Broadway Empire in the DMile until I looked at the BRIS pace figs: he needs to do much better late to hang on against this group. The midwest G2 and G3 races are to be nothing like this. I also liked Pants on Fire a bit until he drew that post... not so sure now. Probbaly going with Brujo, Hymn Book and Golden Ticket in that one. I don't trust Verrazano anyway and with the 10-hole I think his chances are diminished. On the plus side the layoff and the cutback should help him (as opposed to Fed Biz, who I think might run better deeper into the form cycle, and on the synth).

Kennedy

Sometimes it's really hard to tell who will be longshots and who won't. I think I remember Mizdirection being 15/1 on the ML last year but she was just less than 7/1 at post time.

I would imagine that Romantica will be around 7/1 herself and Laughing will likely be around 5/1. Still decent value on those two if you happen to like them.

Kennedy

A few random thoughts

Marathon
Despite the chaos that is the Past Performances for this group I'm not sure that this is the right place for a real longshot. There is a real possibility that each member of this field will just take enough money to keep things in balance. I imagine that most horses will be between 5/1-12/1. No one stands out as a particularly good play but neither does anyone look like a bad play on paper.

Dirt Mile
I really like Taptowne not only as a longshot but even as my primary play. If you don't trust Verrazano (which I don't) and you suspect that Goldencents is drawn a bit wide the race really opens up and personally I'm not seeing much speed in here. Taptowne could take them gate to wire.

Juvenile Fillies
I don't actually like her for the win but it seems like every year one horse who doesn't seem well suited to the distance sticks around for a piece of things. I think that horse will be She's a Tiger. She was sold out in her last by that early move and couldn't finish. A more patient ride should see her get a piece of this.

FM Turf
This race has had some odd results in the past few years. Most likely things will settle down and we'll have some more logical winners but in the pattern of some of the more recent odd ball winners it might be worth looking at Qushchi. It seems odd that Motion would send her on one hand but at the same time he has shocked this race before.

FM Sprint
In a race without any speed at all Ismene has a decent chance of shocking a few people. If they leave her alone she might not be as easy to catch as she should be but since all the heavy hitters prefer to come from off the pace it's possible that no one will commit early. Advantage lone speed.

Juvenile
My personal figures suggest that the Juvenile is slow this year. So slow that you have to go back to 2003 to find its equal. Slow races often produce strange results rather than being slanted in favor of the few fast entrants. Throw in a Lasix ban and we could have some real chaos. I'm looking for a stranger in the Juvenile and Diamond Bachelor, Mexikoma and Smarty's Echo are leading the line in that respect. All 3 will be in my mix for this race.

Mile
Silentio would be a horse that I would use underneath some of the big names in this race. Namely Wise Dan and Obviously. Silentio is a miler and if he gets a little pace to run at he could easily fill out of the bottom of a trifecta. He's is pretty fresh and his preparation has been good. I imagine that he'll be the second longest shot on the board.

Zenyatta

Thanks as always for your insights, Kennedy. I think the Juvvy is going to see a longshot win too. Havana and Strong Mandate have an uphill battle overcoming their posts, though  I think he'll make it to the front anyway. I see Strong Mandate having a nightmare trip. Even Lukas sounded more resigned than sanguine yesterday when interviewed by HRTV.

Senator L

Ah juicy prices ! Hopefully a couple will come in.
I think the Mile is a good betting race I thought Pants on Fire
was coming around and his last race was outstanding. I think
he will run another big one, it is just a matter of his price.
I hope Verrazano takes lots of money. He reminds me of Game on Dude
he gets in trouble when someone goes with him.
The one I keep going back to his Holy Lute. He is on the improve and this
will be his first start on a fast track. He didn't seem to handle the track
at Indiana imo and Power Broker who beat him is a pretty good horse
not only is he a good young horse he's a grey and I think their do this yearl lol

The other longshot is #1 All Cash
he may be a maiden but not for long. Ran a pretty good race in the Bourbon and
that may end up as a key race. He was in lots of trouble and he does have excellent
turf breeding.

others I'm liking Mile: Bright Thought - he's just wicked fast
turf sprint: Boat Trip should get perfect setup
Turf: Teaks North wire to wire, just had a got feeling
on that one so I won't wager much
Good luck everyone

Print
User actions