Last Weekend at HollyPark

Started by The Tin Man, December 21, 2013, 08:29:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Tin Man

Quote from: Dave in TJ Mex on December 22, 2013, 08:12:49 PM
LA Times said paid attendance was 13,000, then they opened the gates at 2 pm and let a bunch of people in free.

Love to hear from about your day at HP when you have time, Tin Man.

It definitely filled in BIG time as the day went on. If it was 13,000 at 2PM ... I'm betting it was pushing 20K then,

And yeah ... I'll post more in the next day or two. Wiped out for tonight.

Here's my boy Woodman's Luck's photo finish win for the last race in HP history. What a way to go out!

http://betfairhollywoodpark.com/images/4361.jpg

ThreeMustangs

Was watching on Xpressbet and saw you waving to the camera a couple of times, Tinny.  :)

The Tin Man

Quote from: ThreeMustangs on December 23, 2013, 10:45:33 AM
Was watching on Xpressbet and saw you waving to the camera a couple of times, Tinny.  :)

Oh you did? That's awesome!   :)

Sometimes it pays to be buddies with the cameraman!   ;)

Wish I could have seen it ... wish there was a way for me to. But ... its still pretty cool that you and others did! I'm famous now!   :thumbsup:

Dave in TJ Mex

Slightly off-point here, but I read elsewhere that Ed Burgart of Los Al says he will call both the thoroughbred races during the day and the quarter horses at night when both run at Los Al.

Wonder what Vic Stouffer will do now.  Try and get race-calling gigs out of state?

Didn't he try being a jockey's agent for a while a couple of years back?  Wonder if he will try that again just to stay local.

I wish him the best of luck, whatever he decides to do.

The Tin Man

Vic said yesterday that he's sent resumes to about 40 tracks. Said positions aren't commonly open. Calling races is his strong preference. He said any track anywhere.

He also mentioned being a jockey agent ...

But he wants to call races.

I hope he stays in Cali somehow in some capacity. He loves the ponies he calls. He's a good Guy and a great asset to the game.

Dave in TJ Mex

Quote from: The Tin Man on December 23, 2013, 11:40:00 AM
Vic said yesterday that he's sent resumes to about 40 tracks. Said positions aren't commonly open. Calling races is his strong preference. He said any track anywhere.

He also mentioned being a jockey agent ...

But he wants to call races.

I hope he stays in Cali somehow in some capacity. He loves the ponies he calls. He's a good Guy and a great asset to the game.

Thanks for the info, Tin Man.

Hope he can catch on somewhere.  He is a terrific race caller, IMO.  Clear and fast and often exciting.

The Tin Man

Another HollyPark last ...

The last horse ever claimed at Hollywood Park was ... Hugger Of Trees

Claimed from Eric Kruljac by Bill Spawr. She is a 3 year old chestnut filly, She was claimed in yesterday's 3rd race.

Her claim price was $ 16,000.

Dusty

Quote from: Dave in TJ Mex on December 23, 2013, 11:30:35 AM
Slightly off-point here, but I read elsewhere that Ed Burgart of Los Al says he will call both the thoroughbred races during the day and the quarter horses at night when both run at Los Al.

Wonder what Vic Stouffer will do now.  Try and get race-calling gigs out of state?

Didn't he try being a jockey's agent for a while a couple of years back?  Wonder if he will try that again just to stay local.

I wish him the best of luck, whatever he decides to do.

Ed is good at QH calls...not sure he can keep up with thoroughbreds!
May they run with the wind

BaroqueAgain1

Wouldn't it be the other way around? If a caller is accurate and fast enough to keep up with Quarterhorses, IMO, calling TBs should be a breeze.  ;)

Dusty

Quote from: BaroqueAgain1 on December 25, 2013, 04:11:08 PM
Wouldn't it be the other way around? If a caller is accurate and fast enough to keep up with Quarterhorses, IMO, calling TBs should be a breeze.  ;)

Not as many moves in QH racing you gun em and the race is over in a blink. In TB racing you need to pay a lot more attention as the horses move position.

Islandgirl45

Quote from: The Tin Man on December 22, 2013, 09:21:31 PM
It definitely filled in BIG time as the day went on. If it was 13,000 at 2PM ... I'm betting it was pushing 20K then,

And yeah ... I'll post more in the next day or two. Wiped out for tonight.

Here's my boy Woodman's Luck's photo finish win for the last race in HP history. What a way to go out!

http://betfairhollywoodpark.com/images/4361.jpg

Is this the same Woodmans Luck who gained fame (or became infamous) in this photo when he tried to bite another horse last year at Del Mar?

Benoit & Associates
A frustrated Woodmans Luck tries to take a bite out of Romeo Royale during the sixth race on Saturday at Del Mar. Romeo Royale went on the win the race and came out of it unscathed.

Good for him that he figured out it's better to keep his head straight near the wire. :D

Dusty

Quote from: Islandgirl45 on December 26, 2013, 09:50:39 PM
Is this the same Woodmans Luck who gained fame (or became infamous) in this photo when he tried to bite another horse last year at Del Mar?

Benoit & Associates
A frustrated Woodmans Luck tries to take a bite out of Romeo Royale during the sixth race on Saturday at Del Mar. Romeo Royale went on the win the race and came out of it unscathed.

Good for him that he figured out it's better to keep his head straight near the wire. :D

That is him!

The Tin Man

I got to visit Woodman's Luck yesterday at SA ... first time I've gotten to meet him .. although he's been a favorite of mine for the last 3 years ...

And he didn't disappoint. He's a big, strong, handsome guy. He's a fairly intense kid, as one would figure. I was pleased to see that he likes to try to nip you, he enjoyed chewing on my jacket and tried some actual biting towards the end of the visit. I loved it. Just the image I had of him!  :)

Besides mixing in some nipping and bite tries, while still being receptive to being stroked and pet ... he was actually pretty calm and still. Not getting worked up or head bobbing.

Just basically a good, but intense, mischievous kid.

So glad he was HP's last winner. A horse with spunk and fight, who historically ran his best races at HollyPark was, in my opinion, the perfect type of final winner. Love HP!

Print
User actions