Last Weekend at HollyPark

Started by The Tin Man, December 21, 2013, 08:29:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Tin Man

Headed to the track now. Gonna stay until they kick me out tomorrow. Don't want it to end.

Today may be emotional. Tomorrow WILL be.

Checking my man card tomorrow for sure. HollyPark is worth it.

:-X

The Tin Man

Woodman's Luck and Soul Candy are in the last race tomorrow.

I'd love one of these guys to close it out.

The "biter" Woodman's Luck would symbolize the track going down fighting to me. He's run there many times and its his favorite track. He always hits the board there.

Soul Candy is the classy old vet. Former stakes pony. And hey ... its Inglewood ... so nothing wrong with a little soul! He's doing pretty well lately, so it could happen. I think he would symbolize the track well ... former glory and still fighting!

Danderek may upset the apple cart. He scares me.

I'd write more eloquently, but I'm in a moving vehicle ... but you guys get my point I'm sure.

Go Woodman's Luck and Soul Candy! 

Senator L

Thanks for the insight. Good luck and hope you soak it all in

Dusty

Quote from: The Tin Man on December 21, 2013, 08:29:52 AM
Headed to the track now. Gonna stay until they kick me out tomorrow. Don't want it to end.

Today may be emotional. Tomorrow WILL be.

Checking my man card tomorrow for sure. HollyPark is worth it.

:-X

So agree - not a bad crowd today - need to get myself up and out early - from all reports - track should be packed.. geez I do not how I will take this...
May they run with the wind

peeptoad

Hope everyone at the track has a blast today; I will be watching from the rainy east coast, but have some picks for today's races.
Not betting all of these (in fact, probably only a select few), but just for fun picks for all races today.

race 1: #3 Wicked Finance, #5 Aqua Revelation
race 2: #8 Hugger of Trees, #7 Valarta
race 3: #7 Highly Rated, #5 Prettypriceygirl
race 4: #10 Captain Salt, #3 Boss of Me
race 5: #3 Just After Sunset, #7 Jet Blue Girl
race 6: #9 Miss Go Free, #10 Moon Ride
race 7: #7 Korban, #8 Dixieland Blues, #4 Gal has To Like It
race 8: #6 Zensational Beauty, #3 Elda
race 9: #4 Pulpit's Express, ##6 Volkonsky
race 10: #11 Life's a Joy, #9 Aotearoa (#4 would have been my top pick, but scratched)
race 11: #9 Danderek, #5 Woodman's Luck, #2 Moonlit Meteor

good luck all

Farewell Hollywood Park!   :rhrse:
:(

Dave in TJ Mex

Quote from: Dusty on December 21, 2013, 06:27:08 PM
So agree - not a bad crowd today - need to get myself up and out early - from all reports - track should be packed.. geez I do not how I will take this...

"Packed" --- 10,000 people, maybe?

peeptoad

#6 Apostle Paul is a 1st time gelding in the first at HOL. Might be worth a look given the pedigree and surface. I'm sticking with Wicked Finance and the Baffert horse does look good.

peeptoad

#7 Maxx the Giant wins the first. Jock on the 5 made a mistake letting the 7 go by early imo...

peeptoad

The chalk was nowhere in that last (and normally I'm no chalk eating weasel either). On to race 3.

Dave in TJ Mex

Watching the last five races ever at HP on the computer was really sad.  Horse racing in the US is in such bad trouble when an iconic track like HP goes down the tubes.

But just like so many days in recent years, nobody is at the track today.  See the view of the apron before the final raced?  Looked like 100 people were there.  Sure, others in the stands and keeping warm inside, but still, HP drew 7,000 for the Cashcall Futurity last week, 6000 on the final Saturday yesterday, and probably about the same today.

Nationwide, year after year total betting handle is flat, and being split between too many race tracks.  Just my opinion, but the industry needs a bunch of smaller tracks to go under, so that the flat national handle can better support the stronger tracks.

On the positive side, I really liked Vic Stouffer's call of the final race. 

He paid tribute to the equine stars who once graced HP, and the history of HP while still calling the race.

Smart, appropriate and classy, IMO.

Dave in TJ Mex

I'm looking forward to posts by the Tin Man and anyone else who was at HP for the final day.

Vic in Chicago

Here's the LA Times story on the last day, along with a video.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-hollywood-park-20131223,0,6099589,full.story#axzz2oGLgn19f

Also, I thought Vic Stauffer's call on the final race was, not surprisingly, superb!
Giant Oak - The Pride Of Chicago!

Dave in TJ Mex

I see that HP drew at least 13,000 for its final day.

Glad that many folks came out to say goodbye.

The Tin Man

Quote from: Dave in TJ Mex on December 22, 2013, 07:08:15 PM
I see that HP drew at least 13,000 for its final day.

Glad that many folks came out to say goodbye.

My guess is 15,000-20,000 today. The main part of the track was packed. Lines for burgers were like 100 people long. Its been a long while since I've seen a crowd like that there! Pretty happy with the turn out.

Very happy Woodman's Luck won the last race ... in such dramatic fashion too! I had the win bet on him. He's the biter ... love that Guy!

Heading home now and tired. HP lives on in our hearts.

Dave in TJ Mex

LA Times said paid attendance was 13,000, then they opened the gates at 2 pm and let a bunch of people in free.

Love to hear from about your day at HP when you have time, Tin Man.

Print
User actions