Clark Handicap - 11/29/13

Started by Vic in Chicago, November 14, 2013, 07:25:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BaroqueAgain1

Game On Dude has been assigned high weight for the Clark. I have to think this gives Will Take Charge an advantage in the race. Yes, I know he's a three-year-old and he's getting the normal weight break for a sophomore, but you can't convince me that WTC isn't the stronger, bigger (definitely bigger!!) horse right now.

Three-time grade I winner Game On Dude has been assigned high weight of 126 pounds for the Nov. 29 running of the $500,000-added Clark Handicap Presented by Norton Healthcare (gr. I), Churchill Downs officials said Nov. 22.
   Racing secretary Ben Huffman gave the Bob Baffert trainee 126 pounds for the 1 1/8-mile event, three pounds more than 3-year-old Will Take Charge, winner of the Travers (gr. I) and recent runner-up in the Nov. 2 Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I). Will Take Charge receives a three-pound break in the weights as a 3-year-old facing older males, and will carry 123. 
   Baffert said Game On Dude will work over the weekend at Santa Anita Park. He'll consider that move and the weight assignments in making a final decision on the trip to Churchill for the Clark.
   "They've weighted him like he's Horse of the Year, so I guess that's a compliment," Baffert said by telephone. "I'm glad Huffman isn't down on the horse like everyone else is."
   Baffert said that if all goes well in coming days, Game On Dude would ship to Kentucky on Wednesday, Nov. 27. Baffert plans to be in attendance on raceday.
   Assigned weights for other likely or possible starters in the Clark include Golden Ticket, 120; Prayer for Relief, 118, Bourbon Courage, 117; Easter Gift, 116; Finnegans Wake, 116; and Jaguar Paw, 115.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/82136/game-on-dude-assigned-clark-high-weight#ixzz2lPzyf05n

Giant Oak

Quote from: Zenyatta on November 20, 2013, 06:12:04 PM
Men. They are SO fickle!

WHAT!  You told me you weren't interested, Zenyatta.

Women.  Who can figure them out?   :-\

peeptoad

Here is my ice cold, peep exacta: Game On Dude/Bourbon Courage. You all can thank me later... ha ha. Oh wait, maybe I shold have posted this in the losing ticket thread.  :o

Senator L

Going with the dude over will take charge
Good luck

Giant Oak

Hi Everybody...it's the old Oakster here!

As we look forward to Friday's renewal of the Clark Handicap, it might be fun to look back on the famous 2010 Clark, which virtually every knowledgeable racing fan agrees is the most exciting and significant Clark of all time.   Yes, on that fateful and historic day, 11 world-class thoroughbreds, winners of 63 races between them, crowded into the Churchill Downs gate.  And when they crossed under the wire, as always, only one horse could win.  And that horse was - drum roll please - ME!!   :chickendance:   :thanks:   :rhrse:

Legal disclaimer:  I didn't actually get to the finish line first.  The ironically-named Successful Dan played "bumper cars" down the stretch and was taken down.  But - hey - a win by DQ is still a win, right?  And the 2010 Clark holds a special place in my heart because it was the first of many (actually...2) Grade I wins in my long and illustrious career.  (But in the other one I really did get to the finish line first!)

For those of you who wish to relive the excitement of that day, catch the replay:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/race/USA/CD/2010/11/26/11/clark-h-gr-i

Also, for further,evidence of that glorious day, below is a good picture of me (on the left) and Dan battling down to the wire!

Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy Friday's race!

Your Friend,

Giant Oak
Former Clark Winner and now Proud Daddy!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Dave in TJ Mex

Quote from: Giant Oak on November 27, 2013, 07:09:50 PM
Hi Everybody...it's the old Oakster here!

As we look forward to Friday's renewal of the Clark Handicap, it might be fun to look back on the famous 2010 Clark, which virtually every knowledgeable racing fan agrees is the most exciting and significant Clark of all time.   Yes, on that fateful and historic day, 11 world-class thoroughbreds, winners of 63 races between them, crowded into the Churchill Downs gate.  And when they crossed under the wire, as always, only one horse could win.  And that horse was - drum roll please - ME!!   :chickendance:   :thanks:   :rhrse:

Legal disclaimer:  I didn't actually get to the finish line first.  The ironically-named Successful Dan played "bumper cars" down the stretch and was taken down.  But - hey - a win by DQ is still a win, right?  And the 2010 Clark holds a special place in my heart because it was the first of many (actually...2) Grade I wins in my long and illustrious career.  (But in the other one I really did get to the finish line first!)

For those of you who wish to relive the excitement of that day, catch the replay:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/race/USA/CD/2010/11/26/11/clark-h-gr-i

Also, for further,evidence of that glorious day, below is a good picture of me (on the left) and Dan battling down to the wire!

Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy Friday's race!

Your Friend,

Giant Oak
Former Clark Winner and now Proud Daddy!

Wow, those were the glory days when horse racing was good, Oakster!

Vic in Chicago

Quote from: Giant Oak on November 27, 2013, 07:09:50 PM
Legal disclaimer:  I didn't actually get to the finish line first.  The ironically-named Successful Dan played "bumper cars" down the stretch and was taken down.  But - hey - a win by DQ is still a win, right?
Hey Oakster -

As Successful Dan's number was taken down, all of Chicagoland...your hometown...as well as Giant Oak Nation worldwide, rose as one, cheering in unison for your glorious victory!!   

Happy Thanksgiving, pal!  :HT1:
Giant Oak - The Pride Of Chicago!

Islandgirl45

Wow, the 2013 version of the Clark was just as thrilling as your race, G.O.!

The stretch drive by Will Take Charge was impressive. I bet he's going to be the 3-year-old Eclipse winner now.

Still, I really wanted the Dude to take this one. Wish he could have surged a little before the wire.

Dave in TJ Mex

Quote from: Islandgirl45 on November 29, 2013, 02:48:43 PM
Wow, the 2013 version of the Clark was just as thrilling as your race, G.O.!

The stretch drive by Will Take Charge was impressive. I bet he's going to be the 3-year-old Eclipse winner now.

Still, I really wanted the Dude to take this one. Wish he could have surged a little before the wire.

WTC is easily three year old champ.

Orb freaked on an off track, then ran so-so in his subsequent races.

A Ky Derby win is nice, but lots of so-so horses have won a Derby, then never won anything of significance afterwards.

WTC is likely a head short (in the BCC) of being HOY.

Will Game On Dude be HOY after being 0 for 2 against WTC?  I think today's result should give HOY to Wise Dan.

Islandgirl45

Quote from: Dave in TJ Mex on November 29, 2013, 04:09:28 PMWTC is easily three year old champ.

A Ky Derby win is nice, but lots of so-so horses have won a Derby, then never won anything of significance afterwards.

Will Game On Dude be HOY after being 0 for 2 against WTC?  I think today's result should give HOY to Wise Dan.

Yeah, I think Game On Dude had to win to be HOTY.
What will be interesting is if Goldencents wins the Cigar Mile. Given he also won a BC race, would they give the 3-year-old Eclipse to him or Will Take Charge?

Vic in Chicago

What puzzled me is when the Dude had an opportunity to take the lead coming out of the gate, he didn't or couldn't.  Instead, he let two horses come from outside and beat him to the first turn. 

It seemed that all year up to the BCC, his pattern was to burst out of the gate and seize the lead, gradually increase his lead on the backstretch, power around the far turn, and enter the top of the stretch with such a head of steam that no one could catch him.

But in the BCC and the Clark, he didn't grab the lead when he seemingly could have, was content to stalk the lead down the backstretch, moved up on the turn, and entered the stretch with a small lead he couldn't hold.

To state the obvious, he's not the same horse he was earlier this year.

Dave in TJ Mex

Quote from: Islandgirl45 on November 29, 2013, 07:12:59 PM
Quote from: Dave in TJ Mex on November 29, 2013, 04:09:28 PMWTC is easily three year old champ.

Yeah, I think Game On Dude had to win to be HOTY.
What will be interesting is if Goldencents wins the Cigar Mile. Given he also won a BC race, would they give the 3-year-old Eclipse to him or Will Take Charge?

To me, it is not close. 

WTC won the Travers and lost the BCC by a head, both at the "classic" race distance.

Then he ran down and beat presumptive HOY GOD in the Clark.

Yes, Goldencents won a BC race and the SA Derby, right?  But he lost a couple of sprints over the summer.

Assuming the usual bias in favor of classic race distance winners, I think WTC takes the 3 year old championship.

WTC is likely the best horse in the country right now, as a three year old.  Mucho Macho Man was fortunate to hold him off in the BCC.

Vic in Chicago

Quote from: Dave in TJ Mex on November 29, 2013, 07:57:03 PM
To me, it is not close. 

WTC won the Travers and lost the BCC by a head, both at the "classic" race distance.

Then he ran down and beat presumptive HOY GOD in the Clark.

Yes, Goldencents won a BC race and the SA Derby, right?  But he lost a couple of sprints over the summer.

Assuming the usual bias in favor of classic race distance winners, I think WTC takes the 3 year old championship.

WTC is likely the best horse in the country right now, as a three year old.  Mucho Macho Man was fortunate to hold him off in the BCC.

I think Dave is exactly right.

Vic in Chicago

Quote from: Vic in Chicago on November 29, 2013, 07:38:16 PM
To state the obvious, he's not the same horse he was earlier this year.

Let me clarify.  The Clark was a great race.  The Dude ran his heart out, and fought to the end, losing to another great horse by a very small margin.  As far as I'm concerned, he greatly redeemed himself for his flop in the BC.

Bob Baffert says he will stay in training, which is great news! 

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/82218/will-take-charge-nips-dude-for-clark-victory

Dave in TJ Mex

. . . and WTC's owner wants to work out a breeding deal that allows WTC to race next year.

http://www.drf.com/news/churchill-downs-owner-hoping-race-will-take-charge-2014

Oddly slow Clark Handicap for no apparent reason, with WTC earning only a Beyer number of 101.

Print
User actions