Clark Handicap - 11/29/13

Started by Vic in Chicago, November 14, 2013, 07:25:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catalina

Quote from: Ballerina on November 14, 2013, 08:22:28 AM
Unless they think Wise Dan's shot at HOY is in jeopardy, I can't see them entering him in this race.  But, I'm not wishing against it.

Seems like running Wise Dan in the Clark shouldn't be needed for cementing HOY.  That said, running him would be a silly chance to take.

curtis

Quote from: Catalina on November 15, 2013, 10:29:56 AM
Unless they think Wise Dan's shot at HOY is in jeopardy, I can't see them entering him in this race.  But, I'm not wishing against it.

Seems like running Wise Dan in the Clark shouldn't be needed for cementing HOY.  That said, running him would be a silly chance to take.

Wise Dan's a gelding and by running and winning the Clark he'd be doing what we should all hope for thoroughbred geldings to do--earn money.  Yes he'll probably win the major award by staying in the barn but it would be nice to break away from the dare I eat a peach mentality.

Catalina

Quote from: curtis on November 15, 2013, 11:58:20 AM

Wise Dan's a gelding and by running and winning the Clark he'd be doing what we should all hope for thoroughbred geldings to do--earn money.  Yes he'll probably win the major award by staying in the barn but it would be nice to break away from the dare I eat a peach mentality.

T'is to be hoped your attitude would be different if it were your horse.  But, I can see it won't - the money to be collected for  a win would far outweigh any other consideration for you.  With "friends" like you, horseracing doesn't need any enemies.

Dave in TJ Mex

Quote from: Catalina on November 15, 2013, 12:42:53 PM

T'is to be hoped your attitude would be different if it were your horse.  But, I can see it won't - the money to be collected for  a win would far outweigh any other consideration for you.  With "friends" like you, horseracing doesn't need any enemies.

Catalina, I don't understand your comment.

If the connections believe (1) the horse is fit, (2) trains well and/or well run well on dirt, (3) will be highly competitive against the others entered, and (4) can get the distance, what is the problem with running him, and what other considerations militate against running him?

Catalina

Quote from: Dave in TJ Mex on November 15, 2013, 01:04:01 PM

If the connections believe (1) the horse is fit, (2) trains well and/or well run well on dirt, (3) will be highly competitive against the others entered, and (4) can get the distance, what is the problem with running him, and what other considerations militate against running him?

The Clark can lose Wise Dan the coveted HOY repeat.  It cannot win him HOY.  Seems like another HOY title for a horse that people can visit at KY Horse Park would go far further to improve on the legend, than  the $ he's expected to win from the Clark.  If he wins the Clark. 

It would also go far further towards generating new fans if the industry didn't insist on rubbing it in that stallions have residual post racing value, but that it's perfectly fine to run geldings until they drop.

curtis

Quote from: Catalina on November 15, 2013, 01:37:01 PM

The Clark can lose Wise Dan the coveted HOY repeat.  It cannot win him HOY.  Seems like another HOY title for a horse that people can visit at KY Horse Park would go far further to improve on the legend, than  the $ he's expected to win from the Clark.  If he wins the Clark. 

It would also go far further towards generating new fans if the industry didn't insist on rubbing it in that stallions have residual post racing value, but that it's perfectly fine to run geldings until they drop.

You know Wise Dan did win the Clark before so what I proposed is not outlandish.  My comment about his being a gelding was not meant to imply he, or any other gelding, be run into the ground but that he is at an age when horses begin to slip a little.  If he's deemed to be in top form I think Wise Dan should run because who knows how long that form will last?  If he wins he should be hailed as one of the greats as opposed to a horse like, say, Mineshaft.  Has Cigar being at the KY Horse Park generated scores of new fans?

As for horse racing not needing me, I beg to differ.  I own, care for, live with and feed two OTTB's--both geldings--who raced 102 times combined and--except for collecting one bet on each--they earned not one dime for me.  I claimed one to retire him because, ironically, in my opinion he was being run until he was going to drop.  The other was 23 when I got him, two years ago, and being offered up for a kill buyers price.  I devote a lot of time creating artwork that pays homage to many old favorite horses I recall from my youth in the 1970's.  Many of those are obscure geldings of which I believe should not be eternally forgotten.  Far more of this work is donated than sold.  My gallery wishes I would spend more time creating work from some of my other genre since those are more marketable.  I think the equine based work is important though so I continue to do them.  If I am an enemy to horse racing, in your informed opinion, what is my motive?

Zenyatta

Curtis, you have a good heart. My hat's off to you.

Please check your pm box.

Dave in TJ Mex

Quote from: curtis on November 15, 2013, 03:29:22 PM

You know Wise Dan did win the Clark before so what I proposed is not outlandish.  My comment about his being a gelding was not meant to imply he, or any other gelding, be run into the ground but that he is at an age when horses begin to slip a little.  If he's deemed to be in top form I think Wise Dan should run because who knows how long that form will last?  If he wins he should be hailed as one of the greats as opposed to a horse like, say, Mineshaft.  Has Cigar being at the KY Horse Park generated scores of new fans?

As for horse racing not needing me, I beg to differ.  I own, care for, live with and feed two OTTB's--both geldings--who raced 102 times combined and--except for collecting one bet on each--they earned not one dime for me.  I claimed one to retire him because, ironically, in my opinion he was being run until he was going to drop.  The other was 23 when I got him, two years ago, and being offered up for a kill buyers price.  I devote a lot of time creating artwork that pays homage to many old favorite horses I recall from my youth in the 1970's.  Many of those are obscure geldings of which I believe should not be eternally forgotten.  Far more of this work is donated than sold.  My gallery wishes I would spend more time creating work from some of my other genre since those are more marketable.  I think the equine based work is important though so I continue to do them.  If I am an enemy to horse racing, in your informed opinion, what is my motive?

Hats off to you for your good work!  :thanks:

I get Catalina.  She sounds like a big Wise Dan fan, and does not want him to run again and blow HOY.  Nothing really wrong with that position, other than too many owners are too cagey with their horses, and thus fans miss out on a lot of great matchups and a lot of great races, because owners of really good horses never want to take a chance their horse might lose, and thus refuse to run their horses in really tough spots other than the BC.

Catalina

Quote from: curtis on November 15, 2013, 03:29:22 PM

Kudos for  caring for two OTTB's, and for donating some of your artwork.  As to wise Dan having won the Clark before, repeats don't happen all that often.  Unless they are aiming him at Dubai, I find running him in the Clark an unnecessary risk, to HOY, to the horse, and what for?  The Clark money is peanuts compared to what he raked in for them in the BC and the others he won for them in 2013. 

Ballerina

Quote from: Dave in TJ Mex on November 15, 2013, 05:27:10 PM
I get Catalina.  She sounds like a big Wise Dan fan, and does not want him to run again and blow HOY.  Nothing really wrong with that position, other than too many owners are too cagey with their horses, and thus fans miss out on a lot of great matchups and a lot of great races, because owners of really good horses never want to take a chance their horse might lose, and thus refuse to run their horses in really tough spots other than the BC.

Me, too - REALLY BIG WISE DAN FAN.

But whether you're a Dan Fan or not, there's no good reason to run Dan any more this year.  Unless something unexpectedly outstanding happens before year end, Dan has HOY wrapped up.  The connections played the game, and I'm not certain their strategy was to go for a repeat HOY - it's just the way the cards were dealt.  As a fan, I don't feel this horse or his connections owe me anything more or have to prove anything more to ME.  Wise Dan's a great horse - in my personal opinion, of course.  Some fans are never satisfied.  This horse could do cartwheels around the track in the Clark, winning by 20 lengths, and spit silver dollars crossing the finish line.  But someone would be shouting for gold.

:thanks: for listening.

Youz a good boy, DAN. :girlkiss:

Life is what happens to you when you're making other plans.

You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose.

Giant Oak

Quote from: Islandgirl45 on November 14, 2013, 02:05:40 PM
Speaking of Giant Oak, I miss hearing from the guy. Hope he eventually finds his way back to TBC, or perhaps a new home here on TRF. :rhrse:

Hi Friends...

Well, as they say - "Back By Popular Demand"!  Thanks to my old pal - Islandgirl45 - for thinking of me.  I'm currently enjoying the good life - in more ways than one - here in Bluegrass Country (near Lexington Ky.).  But I'll be happy to share my insights and knowledge from my years on the track, and maybe I'll even enlighten you a bit on what it's like in the breeding shed.   ;)

And I think I'll move my online base of operations over to TRF.  Seems like a good group of nice folks over here, and maybe I can avoid all the "snail" jokes I had to put up with on that other board.  But I'm definitely bringing along my avatar...the beautiful portrait of me from my friend Gravano!

So here I am - back and better than ever - looking forward to hearing from you! 

(By the way, does anyone have Zenyatta's email address?  I'd like to discuss with her an item of...shall we say...mutual interest!)

Cheers!

Your friend,

Giant Oak
Multiple G1 winner, and now proud Daddy!

Zenyatta

Quote from: Giant Oak on November 18, 2013, 12:07:31 PM
Quote from: Islandgirl45 on November 14, 2013, 02:05:40 PM
Speaking of Giant Oak, I miss hearing from the guy. Hope he eventually finds his way back to TBC, or perhaps a new home here on TRF. :rhrse:

Hi Friends...

Well, as they say - "Back By Popular Demand"!  Thanks to my old pal - Islandgirl45 - for thinking of me.  I'm currently enjoying the good life - in more ways than one - here in Bluegrass Country (near Lexington Ky.).  But I'll be happy to share my insights and knowledge from my years on the track, and maybe I'll even enlighten you a bit on what it's like in the breeding shed.   ;)

And I think I'll move my online base of operations over to TRF.  Seems like a good group of nice folks over here, and maybe I can avoid all the "snail" jokes I had to put up with on that other board.  But I'm definitely bringing along my avatar...the beautiful portrait of me from my friend Gravano!

So here I am - back and better than ever - looking forward to hearing from you! 

(By the way, does anyone have Zenyatta's email address?  I'd like to discuss with her an item of...shall we say...mutual interest!)

Cheers!

Your friend,

Giant Oak
Multiple G1 winner, and now proud Daddy!

No, I will not be bred to you, if that's why you want you want my email address!

Islandgirl45

Whoa, now that's a put-down!

But hey, Giant Oak, there are other fillies in the barn, you know, and maybe two deeeeep closers isn't the best idea anyway.

I'm thinking you'd be a good match for someone with a little more speed up front. Maybe keep an eye out for Groupie Doll in spring 2014. She's a pretty chestnut like you!

Giant Oak

Quote from: Islandgirl45 on November 20, 2013, 11:22:43 AM
Whoa, now that's a put-down!

But hey, Giant Oak, there are other fillies in the barn, you know, and maybe two deeeeep closers isn't the best idea anyway.

I'm thinking you'd be a good match for someone with a little more speed up front. Maybe keep an eye out for Groupie Doll in spring 2014. She's a pretty chestnut like you!

Groupie Doll.  Hmmm...   :happy:

Zenyatta

Men. They are SO fickle!

Print
User actions