The massively overrated Game On Dude. . ..

Started by Dave in TJ Mex, November 02, 2013, 05:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vic in Chicago

I agree with Dave on this one.

The great ones always seem to fight to the end, no matter what.  They don't win every time, but they're always in the mix down the stretch, fighting.  Look at Groupie Doll and Wise Dan today.  Neither had an easy time of it, but they have the hearts of a champion, and the indomitable will to win.

Dude is a very good horse, but when things get tough, sometimes he just seems to quit.  I'd think a lot more of him if he battled to the wire, like Mucho Macho Man did last year, finishing a hard-charging second, and holding on desperately for the win this year.  In contrast, Dude seemed to give up, finishing seventh last year, and ninth this year.

Mike Smith set Dude up perfectly this year, but the Dude just didn't step up.  He doesn't seem to have that champions heart when it's going to take a fight to win.

He's a good horse, but not a champion.   
Giant Oak - The Pride Of Chicago!

The Tin Man

Seems maybe he's an excellent horse if he's on the lead ... but if you look him in the eye ... he's not down with that.

Vic in Chicago

Quote from: The Tin Man on November 02, 2013, 08:50:38 PM
Seems maybe he's an excellent horse if he's on the lead ... but if you look him in the eye ... he's not down with that.

I think that's right.

Actually, I'm not sure why Mike Smith didn't take him to the lead today.  I don't remember the early pace being that extraordinarily fast.

Maybe there was something else going on with him that we don't know.
Giant Oak - The Pride Of Chicago!

Dave in TJ Mex

Quote from: The Tin Man on November 02, 2013, 08:50:38 PM

True 'dat!

Charlie

Quote from: Vic in Chicago on November 02, 2013, 08:42:07 PM

He doesn't seem to have that champions heart when it's going to take a fight to win.

He's a good horse, but not a champion.

I don't get this. In 2011 he was touted for being such a fighter and having heart, I even remember someone(I think Haskins?) writing an article on it. I wonder what happened? Maybe he's so used to getting his way the last two years in Cali he has gotten complacent? Do horses do that?

You don't win the way he does to just be an ok/decent horse. He is a high quality horse who just seems to forget that in the Classic, for whatever reason.

peeptoad

Quote from: Zenyatta on November 02, 2013, 05:58:12 PM
I have to agree at this point. When the chips are down he simply doesn't deliver.

I agree with the fact that when push comes to shove he doesn't run well, but he ran well in the Classic back in 2010/11 (or whatever year Drosselmeyer won), so he can run well on the big stage. Not sure why that isn't happening now in the last couple of years. Maybe that field back in 10/11 was weaker than I am remembering...

Ballerina

Quote from: Dave in TJ Mex on November 02, 2013, 07:53:24 PM

I never called him a bum; instead, I called him a "terrific" horse.

And he is.  He has won a lot of races and a lot of money.

But usually in California, against small and inferior fields.

His three biggest races in the last two years? 

12th in the 2012 Dubai World Cup.

7th in last year's BCC on his home track.

9th in this year's BCC.

He was overhyped and overrated.

A terrific horse, just not a great horse.
[/quote]

I never said you called him a bum.  I didn't quote what you wrote.  Others posted their thoughts, as well.   

I just find it puzzling that it takes a disappointing loss for people to say he's "overhyped and overrated".  More frustration than reality.  More Monday morning QB'ing than prediction.  Up until yesterday, he was the front runner for HOY.  I wish some of the old threads were still around with people's comments on just how good this horse is/was.

He did good work for the benefit of racing fans.  He's not perfect, but what horse is?  I think it's a shame that all the good work gets pushed aside for a what has he done lately mindset.
Life is what happens to you when you're making other plans.

You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose.

Ballerina

Quote from: The Tin Man on November 02, 2013, 08:13:59 PM

Well stated Balance ... I'm with you on this.
[/quote]

Balance?@!   :lmao:
Life is what happens to you when you're making other plans.

You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose.

The Tin Man

Quote from: Ballerina on November 03, 2013, 05:38:21 AM
Quote from: The Tin Man on November 02, 2013, 08:13:59 PM

Well stated Balance ... I'm with you on this.

Balance?@!   :lmao:
[/quote]

Ahhhhhh ... Spell check always wants to turn you into Balance!

I didn't catch it that time.  ;)

The Tin Man

And once again you're Balance, Bal!

Damn smart phone!  ;)

Zenyatta

Quote from: The Tin Man on November 03, 2013, 08:08:43 AM

Damn smart phone!  ;)

Don't you have something other than a smartphone (more like a dumbphone LOL) to type on?

The Tin Man

Quote from: Zenyatta on November 03, 2013, 08:10:53 AM
Quote from: The Tin Man on November 03, 2013, 08:08:43 AM

Damn smart phone!  ;)

Don't you have something other than a smartphone (more like a dumbphone LOL) to type on?

Not when I'm on the road. :-)

peeptoad

Quote from: Ballerina on November 03, 2013, 05:25:49 AM

I wish some of the old threads were still around with people's comments on just how good this horse is/was.

Well, I thought he was the frontrunner for the award prior to the BC and I think he would have have been almost a lock if he had been among the top 3 finishers. He's the most consistent of the older dirt males (MMM is close), regardless of the fact that he stayed in CA and beat weaker competition.
The fact that CA has the highest percentage of G1 routes for older males on the main track of anywhere in the country really played to Dude's advantage. The fact that none (or few) of the east coast big guns bothered to ship and take him on also gave him an edge. This is either a weak older male crop or a fairly decent one with no particular standout...

Dave in TJ Mex

Quote from: Ballerina on November 03, 2013, 05:25:49 AM
Quote from: Dave in TJ Mex on November 02, 2013, 07:53:24 PM

I never called him a bum; instead, I called him a "terrific" horse.

And he is.  He has won a lot of races and a lot of money.

But usually in California, against small and inferior fields.

His three biggest races in the last two years? 

12th in the 2012 Dubai World Cup.

7th in last year's BCC on his home track.

9th in this year's BCC.

He was overhyped and overrated.

A terrific horse, just not a great horse.

I never said you called him a bum.  I didn't quote what you wrote.  Others posted their thoughts, as well.   

I just find it puzzling that it takes a disappointing loss for people to say he's "overhyped and overrated".  More frustration than reality.  More Monday morning QB'ing than prediction.  Up until yesterday, he was the front runner for HOY.  I wish some of the old threads were still around with people's comments on just how good this horse is/was.

He did good work for the benefit of racing fans.  He's not perfect, but what horse is?  I think it's a shame that all the good work gets pushed aside for a what has he done lately mindset.
[/quote]

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Just as Zenyatta's final BCC was a defining moment for "proving" just how good she was --- or wasn't --- I think yesterday's BCC was a similar defining moment for GOD.  We could throw out his poor performance in the Dubai World Cup in 2012 (travel); we could throw out his poor performance in last year's BCC (poor start, never got all that close to the lead); but yesterday he had no excuses, again on his home track.  Its not that he lost, its that he spit out the bit at the quarter pole for a second straight year and did no running down the stretch.

I agree with you Ballerina: before the race the Horse of the Year award was his to lose.  And he was perfect for the year.  Like Zenyatta, he raced almost exclusively in SoCal, and his detractors do hold that against him.

Zenyatta ran a great race --- arguably her best ever --- in losing by a long nose to Blame on an "away" track in the 2010 BCC, and in doing so, lost little stature.   GOD's second straight flop in the BCC, coupled with his dominant performances the rest of the year in SoCal suggest that he faced virtually nothing in most of those other races.

And you are right, Ballerina, about this being Monday Morning quarterbacking, or hindsight.  But that is the nature of life.

Think some people have recently changed their former opinion about Obamacare (from two years ago) based upon what has happened in the last month?  Probably so.

Recent events do result in "revisionist history," as we reevaluate the opinions we once held months or years ago, in determining whether they were valid and accurate.  And our formerly-held inflated view of Game On Dude's quality was --- in retrospect --- probably not warranted.

Again, he is a terrific horse.  You can still make a credible case he is HOY.

But a victory yesterday against that field would have been the crowning moment of a great year.  Too bad it didn't happen.

Zenyatta

Life is full of Monday morning QB'ing, Dave. My 2 ex-husbands are perfect examples of that. :headshake:

Print
User actions