The massively overrated Game On Dude. . ..

Started by Dave in TJ Mex, November 02, 2013, 05:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave in TJ Mex

. . . I'll say it.

Game on Dude beats up on weaker competition, but when forced to race against equals and near-equals --- even at his home race track two years in a row --- he absolutely cannot get it done.  SO overrated.

Flintknapper

He's a fine horse. He hasn't had it on the Big Day these past two years, but he's a very fine horse.

Zenyatta

I have to agree at this point. When the chips are down he simply doesn't deliver.

Islandgirl45

Seems like he doesn't like horses coming up to challenge him or something. He seems to fade and throw in the towel.

Dave in TJ Mex

Quote from: Flintknapper on November 02, 2013, 05:57:57 PM
He's a fine horse. He hasn't had it on the Big Day these past two years, but he's a very fine horse.

I agree, he is a terrific horse, just not a great horse.

But when top notch horses fly into SoCal and look him in the eye, sadly he caves in.

Zenyatta

I'll be glad when a nice up and comer like  Tiz the Truth turns 4 and can actually inject quality into the handicap horse ranks. Flashback looked good today but he's no 10f horse. Who really IS nowadays?

Dave in TJ Mex

The offspring of Zenyatta in a few years?   

And the offspring of Giant Oak in a few years?

Those horses will WANT 10 furlongs!     :rhrse:

Zenyatta

The offspring of Will Take Charge.  HE  is the 3 year old eclipse champ in my book. He lost on a head bob.

The Tin Man

He's one helluva horse ... just for some reason can't win the big one. Happens sometimes.

Made a 1 dollar profit one the race thanks to a win bet on MMM. Had my trifecta keyed on GOD unfortunately.

Ballerina

I don't get it.  I just don't get it.  Game on Dude was touted as a monster, a shoe-in for HOY, bitter fans because he didn't win HOY last year.  He loses a race, and instantaneously he's a bum.  Why is it people build pedestals for what they want to be their heroes and then kick it out from inunder them when they prove to be imperfect?@!  One day you're a star; the next day it gets ripped off the door.

I just don't get it.
Life is what happens to you when you're making other plans.

You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose.

Islandgirl45

Quote from: The Tin Man on November 02, 2013, 07:20:43 PM
He's one helluva horse ... just for some reason can't win the big one. Happens sometimes.

Made a 1 dollar profit one the race thanks to a win bet on MMM. Had my trifecta keyed on GOD unfortunately.
I would have done much better betting if I'd just bet WPS instead of exactas. I had the winner of four races but the wrong horse in second.
:headshake:

Islandgirl45

Quote from: Ballerina on November 02, 2013, 07:37:10 PM
I don't get it.  I just don't get it.  Game on Dude was touted as a monster, a shoe-in for HOY, bitter fans because he didn't win HOY last year.  He loses a race, and instantaneously he's a bum.  Why is it people build pedestals for what they want to be their heroes and then kick it out from inunder them when they prove to be imperfect?@!  One day you're a star; the next day it gets ripped off the door.

I just don't get it.
Fame is so fleeting, isn't it? There's a lot of . . . "What have you done for me in the last 10 minutes?"

Zenyatta

I just don't get it.

That's not really it though. I still think he's a nice horse and he certainly puts up good speed figures, but he just isn't able to dance the big dance, for whatever reason. Personally, I don't think he likes big fields. Mike Smith said he went as fast as he always does in the first 6f or so, but he just didn't have it at the end.

I'm trying to think of a similar case with a dominant East Coast handicap horse who flopped on multiple occasions at his home base Breeders' Cup but I can't think of any.  I wouldn't bring up the Coasts except for the fact that the racing is deeper on the east side of the country.

Dave in TJ Mex

I just don't get it.

I never called him a bum; instead, I called him a "terrific" horse.

And he is.  He has won a lot of races and a lot of money.

But usually in California, against small and inferior fields.

His three biggest races in the last two years? 

12th in the 2012 Dubai World Cup.

7th in last year's BCC on his home track.

9th in this year's BCC.

He was overhyped and overrated.

A terrific horse, just not a great horse.

The Tin Man

I just don't get it.

Well stated Balance ... I'm with you on this.

Print
User actions