Lost in translation

Started by jjacks1, October 29, 2013, 01:46:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjacks1

Maybe not the right spot to ask this but does anyone know where I can find a good online Arabic dictionary? So many horses are named with names I can't pronounce much less know what they mean. I've tried using Google with the horses' name but that got me nowhere. Any suggestions?
Just another sh*tty day in Paradise

BaroqueAgain1

I don't have an answer to your question...but I do have a paranoid thought.  ???
  Does anyone else think that JJacks is going to end up on the NSA's radar...just for researching Arabic online?
:-\

Charlie

This probably won't help, but if you knew the root words that  make up the horses name, google could probably help you. I think a lot of names aren't don't translate well. Some of our English names would sound weird if translated into other languages.

Like I said, probably not actually helpful but just in case, I thought I would share. Good Luck

Babylon.com is a free download if you want that.

http://en.bab.la/dictionary/english-arabic/  ... I didn't try it but that's the first none download link that offered it for free.

jjacks1

Thanks for the dictionary link and about the NSA - you're probably right!  ;D I can see it now:
"Why were you researching Arabic online unless it was a terrorist plot?"
Me: "I just wanted to find out what the horses names meant - honest!"  ;D
Just another sh*tty day in Paradise

Catalina

Quote from: jjacks1 on October 29, 2013, 01:46:44 PM
Maybe not the right spot to ask this but does anyone know where I can find a good online Arabic dictionary? So many horses are named with names I can't pronounce much less know what they mean. I've tried using Google with the horses' name but that got me nowhere. Any suggestions?

Individual nouns for simple things are easiest to look up in any dictionary (horse, father, etc), and phrases are the most difficult, in any language.  And supposedly much more so in a language from a different culture.  Based on what little I remember from a very interesting linguistics class I once took in college. 

Print
User actions