Cuomo Calls Aqueduct ‘A Waste’

Started by jjacks1, October 27, 2013, 11:00:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjacks1

Nothing like starting out your day being pissed off.  >:( How dare he call my favorite sport and a venerable track "a waste of space."

Cuomo Calls Aqueduct 'A Waste'

In a meeting with the New York Daily News editorial board, Gov. Andrew Cuomo mirrored the newspaper's desire to have Aqueduct racetrack closed.

The racetrack and parking sits on nearly 200 acres, making it one of the largest pieces of land in New York City. "It's been a waste," Cuomo told the Daily News. "You could do anything at Aqueduct. I mean, you're right at the airport. It's a great piece of property. It's one of the largest pieces of property, probably, in the city of New York..."

Robert Megna, the state's budget Director and a member of the New York Racing Association board of directors, told the Daily News that NYRA management is looking "very closely" at the possible closure of Aqueduct.

Okay all you New York members - please give him HELL.
Just another sh*tty day in Paradise

Delamont

Don't get me started on Cuomo either.  He just has dollar signs in his eyes.   >:(
Somebody bet on the gray!

Zenyatta

I would hate to see Aqueduct go the way of Hollywood Park. I wonder how much a bunch of condos raise in terms of tax money vs a race track.   

Dave in TJ Mex

What does Aqueduct average in attendance in the winter?

3,000 tops, maybe?

jjacks1

Quote from: Dave in TJ Mex on October 27, 2013, 07:55:52 PM

3,000 tops, maybe?

Must be damn cold there in winter - I wouldn't want to go. Surprised they run in winter - I would think the ground would be very hard! But still in spring, summer and fall it would be a  great place to go. And so much racing history there!

Goldi

I empathize with those New Yorkers who love Aqueduct, but the place is a mess. It would cost millions to make it a place people would actually want to attend for something other than a big stakes. The writing has been on the wall ever since Cuomo decided to involve himself in horse racing and slots in NY. The real estate is simply too valuable. Unfortunately, I think the horse has left the barn on this one.

jjacks1

Quote from: Goldi on October 27, 2013, 08:08:38 PM
I empathize with those New Yorkers who love Aqueduct, but the place is a mess. It would cost millions to make it a place people would actually want to attend for something other than a big stakes. The writing has been on the wall ever since Cuomo decided to involve himself in horse racing and slots in NY. The real estate is simply too valuable. Unfortunately, I think the horse has left the barn on this one.

Oh no! I hate to hear that! I love the old tracks - Hialeah, Hollywood Park - such a shame.  :'(

Catalina

Quote from: jjacks1 on October 27, 2013, 08:05:39 PM
Quote from: Dave in TJ Mex on October 27, 2013, 07:55:52 PM

3,000 tops, maybe?

Must be damn cold there in winter - I wouldn't want to go. Surprised they run in winter - I would think the ground would be very hard! But still in spring, summer and fall it would be a  great place to go. And so much racing history there!

Aqueduct weatherizes the inner track and races on that in the winter.  Still, seems there were more breakdowns than usual on the inner track last winter, and if I recall, the weather cooperating, they switched back to the main track earlier than normal, because of the breakdowns.  Anybody's guess if the surface really was to blame or the shape of the turns or horses being run back too soon, what with nice lower end purses.

Zenyatta

So if Aqueduct closed, this would mean more race dates for Belmont? Monmouth? Saratog? .... or none, considering the weather?  NY doesn't have the luxury of year-round fairly decent weather us Californians do, so we can move dates to other tracks without a problem. But the inner track is specific to racing during winter weather. What would it cost for Belmont to do that? Would they even want to?

Flanders

This worries me.  If they decide Aqueduct is to valuable to run horses on, what will stop them from tearing down Belmont too?

Belmont doesn't have an inner dirt track to winterize.  They would have to get rid of one of the turf courses.  Would they be willing to do that?

This article is really informative, talks about the decision to get rid of one of Aqueduct's turf courses in order to install the inner dirt course and the cost(in the 1980s) to install it.
http://www.brooklynbackstretch.com/2010/03/18/aqueduct-a-history-of-the-inner-track/

jjacks1

Quote from: Flanders on October 27, 2013, 09:55:55 PM
This worries me.  If they decide Aqueduct is to valuable to run horses on, what will stop them from tearing down Belmont too?

Belmont doesn't have an inner dirt track to winterize.  They would have to get rid of one of the turf courses.  Would they be willing to do that?

This article is really informative, talks about the decision to get rid of one of Aqueduct's turf courses in order to install the inner dirt course and the cost(in the 1980s) to install it.
http://www.brooklynbackstretch.com/2010/03/18/aqueduct-a-history-of-the-inner-track/

Awesome article - thank you for the link!

serenassong

I thought that the whole slot thing was supposed to help this- only took them 10 years to get that going.  Didn't they just do a renovation to the grandstand a few years back? 
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
Mythbusters

Delamont

Quote from: serenassong on October 28, 2013, 07:42:15 AM

I thought that the whole slot thing was supposed to help this- only took them 10 years to get that going.  Didn't they just do a renovation to the grandstand a few years back?

They did.

Someone wants his hands on it.  And evidently none of the owners, trainers or fans have any pull.
Somebody bet on the gray!

Catalina

Quote from: Delamont on October 28, 2013, 12:06:00 PM

They did.

Someone wants his hands on it.  And evidently none of the owners, trainers or fans have any pull.

Or, enough pull.  Typical for big developers to have a politician's ear far more than other interest groups, including constituents.

jjacks1

Quote from: Catalina on October 28, 2013, 12:43:28 PM
Quote from: Delamont on October 28, 2013, 12:06:00 PM

They did.

Or, enough pull.  Typical for big developers to have a politician's ear far more than other interest groups, including constituents.

Which is why politics is bullshoot. No one remembers the "by the people, for the people." I can't believe we elect people who really don't give a shoot about what we think.

Print
User actions