Derby Trial Stakes

Started by Man o Taz, April 24, 2014, 01:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Man o Taz

Race 8 - Derby Trial S. (Grade III)

Purse $150,000. For Three Year Olds. By subscription of $150 each, which should accompany the nomination or by Supplementary Nomination of $4,500 at time of entry. $750 to pass the entry box; $750 additional to start, with $150,000 added. After payment of 1% to all owners of horses finishing sixth through last, 62% of the remaining purse shall be paid to the owner of the winner, 20% to second, 10% to third, 5% to fourth and 3% to fifth. Weight: 123 Lbs. Non-winners of a graded stakes at a mile or over in 2014, allowed 3 Lbs.; a graded stakes, 5 Lbs. The maximum number of starters for the Derby Trial will be limited to fourteen (14). If more than fourteen (14) entries pass the entry box preference will be given to graded stakes winners (in order I-II-III), then highest career earnings. Any horse excluded from running because of the aforementioned preference shall be refunded the entry fee and supplementary nomination fee if applicable. Starters to be named through the entry box at the usual time of closing. All supplementary nominations will be required to pay entry and starting fees if they participate. Trophy to winning owner. Closed Wednesday, April 9, 2014 with 58 nominations. One Mile.

P#   PP   Horse   Virtual
Stable   A/S   Med   Jockey   Wgt   Trainer   M/L
1   1   Bayern (KY)             3/C        L        R Napravnik      118   B Baffert            2/1
2   2   Chitu (KY)                     3/C        L        J Rosario            123   B Baffert            2/1
3   3   Big Sugar Soda (KY)          3/C        L        R Santana, Jr.    118   S M Asmussen 15/1
4   4   Friendswith K Mill (KY)     3/C        L        K J Desormeaux    118   D F O'Neill            5/1
5   5   Matador (ON)              3/C        L        J R Leparoux    118   M E Casse    9/2
6   6   Embellishing Bob (KY)   3/C        L        B J Hernandez, Jr.118   S Margolis    8/1
7   7   Laddie Boy (KY)      3/C        L        S Elliott            118   C Peery           20/1
8   8   Bitters 'n Bourbon (FL)   3/C        L        C J Lanerie            118   R Moquett   30/1
9   9   Spot (KY)                      3/G        L        J R Velazquez    120   N P Zito             4/1
10   10   Myositis Dan (KY)      3/C        L        J Rocco, Jr.            118   T F Proctor     5/1

Owners: 1 - Kaleem Shah, Inc. (Kaleem Shah); 2 - Tanma Corporation (Susan Chu); 3 - J. Kirk and Judy Robison; 4 - Neil Haynes, Dave Kenney and Wonderland Racing Stables (Lisa Fedick); 5 - John C. Oxley; 6 - Martin L. Cherry; 7 - Kevin Jacobsen; 8 - Robert Land and Becky Brockway; 9 - Joseph H. Moss; 10 - Brereton C. Jones

Breeders: 1 - Helen Alexander; 2 - Tom Evans, Macon Wilmil Equines &Marjac Farms; 3 - Bellevue Farm; 4 - Kathy Herbener & Heather Herbener Ford; 5 - Windhaven Farms Limited; 6 - Martin Cherry; 7 - Frederick J. McEwan; 8 - Farm III Enterprises LLC & Off TheHook Partners LLC; 9 - Curtis C. Green; 10 - Brereton C. Jones

Equipment Changes: 1 - Bayern - Blinkers On;7 - Laddie Boy - Blinkers off
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Man o Taz

Can anyone explain to me what Mr. Baffert is doing with Chitu and Bayern?

Chitu is already in the gate - is Mr. Baffert looking to scratch Chitu to get Bayern into the Derby?

"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

The Tin Man

Quote from: Man o Taz on April 24, 2014, 01:13:06 PM
Can anyone explain to me what Mr. Baffert is doing with Chitu and Bayern?

Chitu is already in the gate - is Mr. Baffert looking to scratch Chitu to get Bayern into the Derby?

I'm guessing he's looking at running whoever is doing best, in his opinion, in the Derby.

And the other one, in this race.

Just my guess.

The Tin Man

Since I think Bob is only running one of them in this race ... the one he runs is my pick.

As an aside, I feel sorry for Friendswith K Mill ... He just got smoked in his last race in SoCal(Lost by 12 lengths) ... He has no shot here. Shipping across country to get smoked is not a good angle, in my opinion.  8)

Poor horse ...

He's GORGEOUS though!  :forruffian:

Friendswith K Mill ... He's a gray/roan ... Click on the pic to make him grow ...

[attachment deleted by admin]

peeptoad

Per DRF Baffert will scratch Chitu from this race and run him in the Derby. He wants Bayern in Derby, but needs at least 2 defections for him to make the field. Baff said at the last minute he might scratch Bayern here as well, but that decision will be made Saturday morning most likely.
I can't find the article on DRF at the moment otherwise would post the link.

Man o Taz

Quote from: The Tin Man on April 24, 2014, 10:24:06 PM
Since I think Bob is only running one of them in this race ... the one he runs is my pick.

As an aside, I feel sorry for Friendswith K Mill ... He just got smoked in his last race in SoCal(Lost by 12 lengths) ... He has no shot here. Shipping across country to get smoked is not a good angle, in my opinion.  8)

Poor horse ...

He's GORGEOUS though!  :forruffian:

Friendswith K Mill ... He's a gray/roan ... Click on the pic to make him grow ...

Now that's an emoticon I might have to start using.

He does look good - like a Kool Mill(ion).

Quote from: peeptoad on April 25, 2014, 03:52:55 AM
Per DRF Baffert will scratch Chitu from this race and run him in the Derby. He wants Bayern in Derby, but needs at least 2 defections for him to make the field. Baff said at the last minute he might scratch Bayern here as well, but that decision will be made Saturday morning most likely.
I can't find the article on DRF at the moment otherwise would post the link.

Thanks.

peeptoad

Don't base anything you do on what Baffert says... he's already hedging on what I previously posted. It's all up in the air and I can tell you why: Chitu's connections want to go in the Derby and I can tell from what he's saying that Baff thinks Bayern has a better chance and wants him in. He was originally going to declare Chitu, but the connections want to go, he has enough points and they are paying the bills.

IMO Bayern should be pointed or the Preakness, but whatever Baffert is really thinking should get clearer after tomorrow when we see if either will go i the Trial.

Man o Taz

I think the Derby Trial showed that Bayern needed at least another race in him before he's be "Derby ready".

This is why I think Hoppertunity has a much better shot in the Derby than Bayern would have.

Print
User actions