Big 'Cap - Saturday March 8th

Started by Vic in Chicago, March 07, 2014, 09:53:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vic in Chicago

Really looking forward to this race!

Mucho Macho Man and Will Take Charge in their first rematch since their epic battle in the BCC.  PLUS Game on Dude!

Post time 4PM Pacific, and it's being telecast on cable channel Fox Sports 1.

Anybody out there going?

Go MMM!

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/83665/epic-rematch-set-for-santa-anita-handicap?&utm_source=RacingPreviewNewsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20140307

$750,000 Santa Anita Handicap (gr. I, Race 9, 4 p.m.), 3 & Up, 1 1/4 Miles
PP. Horse, Jockey, Weight, Trainer, ML Odds
1. Will Take Charge (KY), L Saez, 123, D W Lukas, 2/1
2. Mucho Macho Man (FL), G L Stevens, 124, K Ritvo, 9/5
3. Blingo (KY), A T Gryder, 117, J A Shirreffs, 8/1
4. Imperative (KY), K J Desormeaux, 114, G Papaprodromou, 12/1
5. Rousing Sermon (CA), R Bejarano, 114, J Hollendorfer, 12/1
6. American Blend (KY), J Talamo, 114, C Gaines, 20/1
7. Game On Dude (KY), M E Smith, 122, B Baffert, 5/2
8. Hear the Ghost (KY), J Rosario, 114, J Hollendorfer, 20/1
Giant Oak - The Pride Of Chicago!

Dance With Gable

I'll be there bright and early! Should be there by 8.

It should be a fantastic race day. Great fields and great weather!  :rhrse:

Man o Taz

How can I choose?

I like at least five of these horses to win.

I'll root against MMM who I really like a lot - but so that GOD or WTC can redeem themselves against the new older male juggernaut.

But my heart will be pulling for Hear The Ghost and I wouldn't mind if Rousing Sermon won as well.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Senator L

Nice day of racing.
Looking forward to seeing Za Approval run.
Good Luck

Vic in Chicago

Quote from: Dance With Gable on March 07, 2014, 10:57:04 AM
I'll be there bright and early! Should be there by 8.

It should be a fantastic race day. Great fields and great weather!  :rhrse:

I really envy you.  I'll be here in Chi-town still watching the snow slowly melt.

Have a great time, and good luck!

Raven

Mucho Macho Man is the best older horse in training!!  IMO.
call no man happy till he dies. ~SOLON~

Senator L

Quote from: Raven on March 07, 2014, 07:56:09 PM
Mucho Macho Man is the best older horse in training!!  IMO.

I think so to champ until he loses

peeptoad

I think either WTC or MMM wins this one... hard to separate them. MMM maybe has the pace advantage and I think he will also put pressure on Dude early (who I do not trust at all- mainly because there is no apparent excuse for that last race. He should have won that easily; maybe he needs a break). On the other hand, WTC could show improvement maturing from 3 to 4... very close to MMM.
Hear the Ghost gets a saver bet from me... realistically I don't think he can win (he'd have to jump about 20 beyer points, which is unlikely), however I am hoping he runs well with the added distance. He's my favorite horse in the race.

Vic in Chicago

Post time now listed as 415 Pacific.  No scratches as yet.

Dance With Gable

I love Mucho Macho Man .... but I'm starting to feel sorry for The Dude ....

I'd love to see him win it and get some mojo back. But ... I fear the only way he can do it is if he gets a free lead and no one looks him in the eye, as he always seems to fold if they do.

If he folds, I want MMM. Blingo would be awesome ... but not realistic IMO.

Blingo is gorgeous and quirky ... I love that about him. :)

Vic in Chicago

Quote from: Dance With Gable on March 08, 2014, 07:28:24 AM
I love Mucho Macho Man .... but I'm starting to feel sorry for The Dude ....

I'd love to see him win it and get some mojo back. But ... I fear the only way he can do it is if he gets a free lead and no one looks him in the eye, as he always seems to fold if they do.

Well, you got your wish!  What a performance by the Dude!  And a new stakes record of 1.58.17!

Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JAGgTHQVT4

Dusty

Quote from: Vic in Chicago on March 08, 2014, 05:09:41 PM
Well, you got your wish!  What a performance by the Dude!  And a new stakes record of 1.58.17!

Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JAGgTHQVT4

THAT!!! Loved the race = THAT WAS A RACE AND THE DUDE RULED!
May they run with the wind

Senator L

I think that was one of the best performances of a jockey
I have ever seen. What a race by the dude!

peeptoad

I thought Dude would either win or be nowhere... did not trust him off that last race, but it looks like the Dude got some of his old mojo back. I like him, and it's nice to see him in the winner's circle again.

Dance With Gable

Quote from: peeptoad on March 09, 2014, 10:51:35 AM
I thought Dude would either win or be nowhere... did not trust him off that last race, but it looks like the Dude got some of his old mojo back. I like him, and it's nice to see him in the winner's circle again.

My thoughts exactly on every point Peep!

As long as they let him free on the lead and didn't look him in the eye, he had a great shot. Once Hear The Ghost backed off, I knew The Dude had it
IMO, if someone would have run toe to toe with him into the final turn, he would have spit the bit and been off the board.

But they didn't ... so hence the result ... and I'm happy!  The crowd was too! Huge applause for him coming through the stretch and again when Mike brought him by the stands for the crowd.Seems most people understood the import for both The Dude and history.

Print
User actions