Vic's last HP call

Started by The Tin Man, December 17, 2013, 08:18:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Tin Man

I'm hoping he just lets the last race run in silence. Its one of the things he's been pondering.

I think it would be awesome ... very powerful ...

Then he could wait a full minute, in tribute, after they cross ... and then do the recap and verbal farewell to this lovely place.

Any thought on what his last call you be like?

Blue Jeans

The trouble with that, you'd have a bunch of folks screaming and yelling to turn the speakers on!  He would have to inform the fans there would be silence the second the gate opens .... until the end of race.  You know how well folks listen to what is said ... these days!   ::)  There's always at least one spoiler in the crowd! 

When the bugler plays that last time .... is when I would come unglued.  Then the post parade .... with all the ponies looking their best ... Yikes!  Better have a good supply of Kleenex on hand for the folks!
A horse doesn't care how much you know, until he knows how much you care. ~Pat Parelli

Horse sense, n.: Stable thinking. ~Author Unknown

The Tin Man

Quote from: Blue Jeans on December 17, 2013, 09:25:41 AM
The trouble with that, you'd have a bunch of folks screaming and yelling to turn the speakers on!  He would have to inform the fans there would be silence the second the gate opens .... until the end of race.  You know how well folks listen to what is said ... these days!   ::)  There's always at least one spoiler in the crowd! 

When the bugler plays that last time .... is when I would come unglued.  Then the post parade .... with all the ponies looking their best ... Yikes!  Better have a good supply of Kleenex on hand for the folks!

I think I'm gonna be unglued all weekend. It will be very emotional for sure. I'm love HP and the memories there. Its a gorgeous track. 

It will be interesting to see the entries of the last race on Sunday. I would imagine pretty much everyone will want to be in that last race ... and, aside from the last winner, it will be an interesting sidenote as to who is the last horse to cross the line ... and the last to leave the track.

I wish they'd do a ceremony after the last race and allow trainers, jockeys, workers, etc. to ramble on about what HP meant to them. That would be nice. We could all mourn together.

Dave in TJ Mex

Quote from: The Tin Man on December 17, 2013, 09:50:42 AM
I think I'm gonna be unglued all weekend. It will be very emotional for sure. I'm love HP and the memories there. Its a gorgeous track. 

It will be interesting to see the entries of the last race on Sunday. I would imagine pretty much everyone will want to be in that last race ... and, aside from the last winner, it will be an interesting sidenote as to who is the last horse to cross the line ... and the last to leave the track.

I wish they'd do a ceremony after the last race and allow trainers, jockeys, workers, etc. to ramble on about what HP meant to them. That would be nice. We could all mourn together.

I like HP too.

Although SA gets all the hype, with the mountains in the background, I have long preferred HP.  Perhaps it is because I sometimes attended during the late spring - early summer meet, when the temps were nice and the sun was always shining.  For years it seemed better maintained and landscaped than SA, with fresher paint, more flowers, the sparkling lake, and the always-present sunshine.  In contrast, most of my visits to SA were during the late winter-early spring meet, when it was often overcast, cold and rainy.  Yuck. If I want that, I will go to New York for winter racing.

Too bad the economic forces battering horse racing and HP's terrible location in Inglewood contributed to cause its demise.

Dave in TJ Mex

Quote from: The Tin Man on December 17, 2013, 08:18:30 AM
I'm hoping he just lets the last race run in silence. Its one of the things he's been pondering.

I think it would be awesome ... very powerful ...

Then he could wait a full minute, in tribute, after they cross ... and then do the recap and verbal farewell to this lovely place.

Any thought on what his last call you be like?

I think silence would be appropriate for the last race.

You know, back in the 60s and 70s Keeneland --- if I remember correctly --- did not even have an announcer calling the races live.  The theory, supposedly, was that if you needed a race caller to identify the horses, you didn't really belong at the track! 

Love the snobbery of Kentucky hardboots!

BaroqueAgain1

I'm not in favor of silence...think of all the owners, trainers, grooms and riders of the horses in that last race. Don't they deserve to have a race call, with the names of their horses being called in the very last race at Hollywood Park? That is a video that they all will want to have.
  Let Vic make his tribute after the race is run...and I'm sure he will have something poignant to say.

Blue Jeans

Quote from: BaroqueAgain1 on December 17, 2013, 11:01:53 AM
  I'm not in favor of silence...think of all the owners, trainers, grooms and riders of the horses in that last race. Don't they deserve to have a race call, with the names of their horses being called in the very last race at Hollywood Park? That is a video that they all will want to have.
  Let Vic make his tribute after the race is run...and I'm sure he will have something poignant to say.

You're right .... and good points.
A horse doesn't care how much you know, until he knows how much you care. ~Pat Parelli

Horse sense, n.: Stable thinking. ~Author Unknown

The Tin Man

One thing though ... almost to a person ... all of the owners, trainers, etc. Prefer HP to SA or Del Mar ... as far as the track and stables ...

As far as a tribute to it, I highly doubt they'd be selfish about it. They love this track.

But who knows? The "silent call" probably won't even happen ... although I wish it would. I think it would be so a propos.

I'm still curious as to what others might think would be most fitting.

curtis

Silence is pretty much what Gary Henson did at Longacres for the final race there.  He said "Ladies and Gentlemen, these horses belong to you" and then turned off his mike.  If there were complaints they were drowned out by the silence.  Most everyone I've spoken to, that was there, thought it to be very classy.  What Michael Wrona did at Bay Meadows was fine but I don't know how memorable it was.  Gary Henson's call was memorable.

Dusty

Quote from: The Tin Man on December 17, 2013, 11:47:04 AM
One thing though ... almost to a person ... all of the owners, trainers, etc. Prefer HP to SA or Del Mar ... as far as the track and stables ...

As far as a tribute to it, I highly doubt they'd be selfish about it. They love this track.

But who knows? The "silent call" probably won't even happen ... although I wish it would. I think it would be so a propos.

I'm still curious as to what others might think would be most fitting.

I trust Vic - I think he should call the race and end with commentary - hopefully they get the speakers from the infield working so youcan actually HEAR the race calls.
May they run with the wind

Dusty

Quote from: Dave in TJ Mex on December 17, 2013, 09:55:52 AM
I like HP too.

Although SA gets all the hype, with the mountains in the background, I have long preferred HP.  Perhaps it is because I sometimes attended during the late spring - early summer meet, when the temps were nice and the sun was always shining.  For years it seemed better maintained and landscaped than SA, with fresher paint, more flowers, the sparkling lake, and the always-present sunshine.  In contrast, most of my visits to SA were during the late winter-early spring meet, when it was often overcast, cold and rainy.  Yuck. If I want that, I will go to New York for winter racing.

Too bad the economic forces battering horse racing and HP's terrible location in Inglewood contributed to cause its demise.

I love Hollywood - the location is very accessible - I will be there Sunday = have my box - anyone want to share - I have 4 seats and just me going - section 210
May they run with the wind

The Tin Man

Quote from: Dusty on December 17, 2013, 07:25:43 PM
I love Hollywood - the location is very accessible - I will be there Sunday = have my box - anyone want to share - I have 4 seats and just me going - section 210

Since we missed meeting last weekend, maybe we can coordinate on the last day for a little bit. I'll probably be in section 234 off and on.  :)

Man o Taz

I had a dream last night of all the still living connections from the recent past at HP that were waiting on the track at the finish line on either side of the path to the winner's circle to greet the horses returning after they passed the finish applauding. I know safety wise it would likely not been practical - but it was a special moment in my dream nonetheless.

Mr. Stauffer's call was as perfect as could be.

Yesterday was quite emotional.

It seemed like there were many more people there for the event than the final tally indicated.

"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Dave in TJ Mex

Quote from: Man o Taz on December 23, 2013, 09:05:54 AM
I had a dream last night of all the still living connections from the recent past at HP that were waiting on the track at the finish line on either side of the path to the winner's circle to greet the horses returning after they passed the finish applauding. I know safety wise it would likely not been practical - but it was a special moment in my dream nonetheless.

Mr. Stauffer's call was as perfect as could be.

Yesterday was quite emotional.

It seemed like there were many more people there for the event than the final tally indicated.

Yes, Vic's call was quite poignant.

The Tin Man

I told Vic yesterday that I thought he should end the program by saying ...

"Liebau sucks ..  peace out! And then drop the microphone to the ground so you could hear the thud.

He said he was gonna do it ... thankfully for his career, he didn't.

But I'd have loved it ... and I'll bet many other would have ... especially HollyPark workers!   ;)

Print
User actions