Horse Name Mispronunciations (bang head here)

Started by Zenyatta, November 17, 2013, 12:39:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zenyatta

Schiaparelli was almost understandable,  but the constant mispronunciations of Emollient were crazy making.

But by far the worst has been Brigand. If I hear one more HRTV or TVG talking head say "Brig AND" I am going to scream! Thank goodness for Tom Durkin. He is the only, and I repeat ONLY one who has pronounced his name correctly over the years.

So just in case anyone from those media outlets reads these boards,  it's pronounced BRIG'nd, with the emphasis on the first syllable.

End of rant.   : :flaming:

Ballerina

Anyone remember how BARBARO's name was screwed up for quite soe time before they finally nailed it down?
Life is what happens to you when you're making other plans.

You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose.

Catalina

Quote from: Zenyatta on November 17, 2013, 12:39:18 AM
Schiaparelli was almost understandable,  but the constant mispronunciations of Emollient were crazy making.

But by far the worst has been Brigand. If I hear one more HRTV or TVG talking head say "Brig AND" I am going to scream! Thank goodness for Tom Durkin. He is the only, and I repeat ONLY one who has pronounced his name correctly over the years.

So just in case anyone from those media outlets reads these boards,  it's pronounced BRIG'nd, with the emphasis on the first syllable.

End of rant.   : :flaming:

Which just goes to show that TV hosts and race callers don't know as much as they think.  What a surprise!

Zenyatta

Aaron and Jeff on HRTV just called "Chamois" "sham wah," which if you're using the customary French pronunciation is correct, but if you're referring to the hide used to wipe of your car is not. It's "shammy."

The Tin Man

Trevor is the master of mispronounciation ... drives me nuts!

Zenyatta

Quote from: Zenyatta on November 17, 2013, 08:36:44 AM
Aaron and Jeff on HRTV just called "Chamois" "sham wah," which if you're using the customary French pronunciation is correct, but if you're referring to the hide used to wipe of your car is not. It's "shammy."7

And "shammy" just won. Thank you Millie Ball for pronouncing his name right.

mchorseracecall

Quote from: The Tin Man on November 17, 2013, 09:11:15 AM
Trevor is the master of mispronounciation ... drives me nuts!

Trevor is one of the top horse racing announcers of all time  :thumbsup:, there were some crazy horse names that were given by owners such as Jipapibaquigrafo. Trevor nailed the pronunciation of horses like Etolie Montante, and Obrigado. Everytime I practice calling a race, if there are some horses I can't pronounce, before I call the race, I go back to watch that the previous races of that horse, and pronounce the same way Trevor pronounce while I am calling a race from Hollywood Park or a race from Golden Gate Fields at home. I also use dictionary.com to find the correct pronunciation of some of the names or I use Google search to find the correct pronunciation of the name of that horse. There was a horse name with two different pronunciations, the name of that horse is Espy. In noun form, it pronounced "Es-Pi" and in verb form, it pronounced "E-Spy" . When Trevor called a race with a horse named Espy, he pronounced it "E-Spy", but either way it's fine. 

Vic in Chicago

How many times did Tom Durkin call the 2009 HOY "Rachel Alexander"?  :headshake:
Giant Oak - The Pride Of Chicago!

Zenyatta

Quote from: Vic in Chicago on November 18, 2013, 12:16:00 PM
How many times did Tom Durkin call the 2009 HOY "Rachel Alexander"?  :headshake:

I'd give Tom a pass. It was appropriate for the context. He said, "Rachel Alexander...the great!"

Bookman

Denman calling Zenyatta "ZENYATTER"

Delamont

Quote from: Bookman on November 21, 2013, 06:39:41 AM
Denman calling Zenyatta "ZENYATTER"

I'll give HIM a pass for that.  It's just his accent.
Somebody bet on the gray!

Print
User actions