Pants On Fire to run in Japan Cup Dirt

Started by BaroqueAgain1, November 16, 2013, 01:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BaroqueAgain1

American runner Pants On Fire arrived at Narita International Airport east of Tokyo Nov. 15 for his scheduled bid in the $3 million Japan Cup Dirt (Jpn-I) at Hanshin Racecourse.
  Pants On Fire would be the first international competitor to race in the 1,800-meter (about 1 1/8 miles) event since Tizway   participated in 2009. The 14th renewal of the Japan Cup Dirt is Dec. 1 at Hanshin, west of Osaka.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/82047/pants-on-fire-arrives-for-japan-cup-dirt-bid#ixzz2kqeHFVH5
  I'd love to see an American horse do well in this race, but 1) US runners haven't won since 2003, and 2) POF is hardly the best US middle-distance dirt horse.

Catalina

Wonder whether there's some Japanese interest in standing him.

Islandgirl45

Anyone know if the Japan Cup Dirt will be live streamed? Also, I think EST post time is Sunday at 1 a.m. Can someone confirm that?

BaroqueAgain1

I'm pretty sure TVG will be showing the race, so I assume their site will stream it...of course, you have to be a TVG subscriber to get that service. And 1 AM EST sounds about right.
  I know DRF sometimes streams races, but I don't see any sort of promo for the Japan Cup Dirt on their site at the moment. With a US horse in the race, maybe that will still happen?

Islandgirl45

I didn't see anything on DRF either. Wonder if Japan Racing will live stream it?

Islandgirl45

For anyone who uses XpressBet, if you choose "Japan Racing" in the track list it's showing the races from Hanshin Racecourse tonight.

The Japan Cup Dirt is Race 11 at 1:40 a.m. Eastern Standard Time here.

Flanders

He finished near the back, maybe last?

1st - Belshazzar - first G1 dirt winner for his sire King Kamehameha.  2nd dam is G2Spw Gina Romantica, a daughter of Epsom Derby winner Secreto and Champion Older mare Waya.
2nd - Wonder Acute
3rd - Hokko Tarumae
4th - Brightline
5th -  Nihonpiro Ours

Catalina

Pants on Fire came in last.  Per Stevens, he reared in the gate and ended up nose bleeding.

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoroughbred-racing/japan-cup-dirt-belshazzar-earns-first-group-win-pants-on-fire-16th/

Islandgirl45

Has he bled before? Just wondered if they had tried him without lasix to find out before deciding to enter the Japan Cup.

serenassong

Quote from: Islandgirl45 on December 01, 2013, 11:39:06 AM
Has he bled before? Just wondered if they had tried him without lasix to find out before deciding to enter the Japan Cup.

Not sure, but it could have been caused by the blow in the gate, perhaps?
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
Mythbusters

Islandgirl45

Quote from: serenassong on December 02, 2013, 06:43:12 AM
Quote from: Islandgirl45 on December 01, 2013, 11:39:06 AM

Not sure, but it could have been caused by the blow in the gate, perhaps?
That could be. I knew the caller said he reared in the gate, but didn't realize he'd hit his head.

BaroqueAgain1

There is no gate crew in with the horses in Japanese racing. So, if a horse smacks its head before the gates open, it's possible that it is not seen by the starter.

Print
User actions