Groupie Doll To The Cigar Mile...

Started by Vic in Chicago, November 08, 2013, 05:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vic in Chicago

...where she just might match up with Goldencents!  (She lost last year's running by a nose to Stay Thirsty.)

The Cigar Mile just got a whole lot more interesting, particularly with Eclipse Awards on the line.  Mark the date - Nov. 30th.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/81949/new-owner-to-run-groupie-doll-in-cigar-mile
Giant Oak - The Pride Of Chicago!

Zenyatta

Now this will be one helluva Cigar Mile with not one but TWO BC winners. Has this ever happened before where 2 winners from those races have met subsequently during the same season?

Islandgirl45

That was unexpected, but very sporting of Mandy Pope. Here's the DRF article about it. Should be an awesome race!

11/08/2013
Groupie Doll to run in Cigar Mile for new owner, Mandy Pope, and trainer Buff Bradley
By Nicole Russo

Barbara D. Livingston
Groupie Doll wins her second consecutive Breeders' Cup Filly and Mare Sprint. She has since been sold at the Keeneland November sale for $3.1 million to Mandy Pope's Whisper Hill Farm.
Two-time Breeders' Cup Filly and Mare Sprint winner Groupie Doll and her trainer and co-breeder William "Buff" Bradley will have the opportunity to complete a bit of unfinished business when the recently sold mare contests the Grade 1 Cigar Mile on Nov. 30 at Aqueduct.

It was announced Friday that the 5-year-old Bowman's Band mare will be pointed to the race, and will run in the colors of Mandy Pope's Whisper Hill Farm after being purchased for $3.1 million at the Keeneland November breeding stock sale Wednesday, from co-breeders Buff Bradley and his father, Fred; and co-owners Carl Hurst and Brent Burns. The Cigar Mile is a $500,000 race but as a Breeders' Cup winner Groupie Doll will compete for the winner's share of a $1 million purse under a bonus put into place by the New York Racing Association........

http://www.drf.com/news/groupie-doll-run-cigar-mile-new-owner-mandy-pope-and-trainer-buff-bradley

Vic in Chicago

Think about it.  Owners of good horses actually CHOOSING to run against each other, rather than ducking each other.  What a concept!

Catalina

Nevertheless, I like it not. 

Zenyatta

Quote from: Catalina on November 09, 2013, 06:43:09 AM
Nevertheless, I like it not.

Why not?

Catalina

Too many times that this sort of setup doesn't go as envisioned. 

Zenyatta

She certainly didn't disgrace herself last year.  I applaud Mandy Pope for her sportsmanship.

This apparently was a decision based on a conversation between Bradley and Pope after the Keeneland sale.  Bradley must think Groupie Doll is still in top form and able to take on all comers in the Cigar Mile.

I wonder to which stallion she'll be bred....

jjacks1

Wow this IS exciting! Groupie Doll vs Goldencents?  :celebrate: Got that date circled on my calender!
Just another sh*tty day in Paradise

Catalina

Quote from: Zenyatta on November 09, 2013, 08:58:04 AM
She certainly didn't disgrace herself last year.  I applaud Mandy Pope for her sportsmanship.

This apparently was a decision based on a conversation between Bradley and Pope after the Keeneland sale.  Bradley must think Groupie Doll is still in top form and able to take on all comers in the Cigar Mile.

I wonder to which stallion she'll be bred....

I wonder whether Bradley would have run her in the Cigar Mile if GD was still his horse and Bradley dependent on being able to sell her after the Cigar Mile.  As it is, the risk is entirely with Mandy Pope and Groupie Doll.

Dave in TJ Mex

Quote from: Vic in Chicago on November 09, 2013, 06:04:20 AM
Think about it.  Owners of good horses actually CHOOSING to run against each other, rather than ducking each other.  What a concept!

More proof that the end times approach!

Man o Taz

Look forward to seeing her at Aqueduct for the second year in a row..

The Cigar Mile was looking to have a bland field after losing Graydar and Orb. Now it is looking stronger. Hopefully there will be no more defections.

"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Vic in Chicago

Today's the day!

Big A, Race #8, post time 320 eastern.  (Is that right?  Sounds oddly early.)

Track showing fast.  So far, no scratches.

Go Groupie!!   :rhrse:

Raven

Praetereo has been scratched.
call no man happy till he dies. ~SOLON~

Vic in Chicago

Impressive win for Flat Out!

Groupie Doll, who finished fourth, had a tough trip today.  She got stuck in traffic along the rail, then had to swing to the outside for the stretch run.  Hope today doesn't jeopardize her chance for an Eclipse!

Print
User actions