Main Menu

Orb retired

Started by ElPrado, November 05, 2013, 06:37:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TouchOfGrey

Very disappointed.

Orb Retired, to Stand at Claiborne in 2014

Quote"While I believe he would have had a very successful 4-year-old campaign, and Phipps Stable and I would have loved being a part of that, Orb is a wonderful stallion prospect," Janney said in a release. "We look forward to supporting him and to racing his offspring."

Man o Taz

You  and me both.

What a shame.

Did they mention that he suffered an injury in training or something?

Heck, they were moving toward the Cigar Mile - if healthy why not run in it and retire?

I guess this cements the three year old eclipse.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

ElPrado

They said he is retiring completely sound.

Catalina

This BC was a painful exercise in what-if's, as far as Eclipse awards are concerned.  Can't say I blame the connections.

Islandgirl45

Quote from: Man o Taz on November 05, 2013, 06:58:18 AM
You  and me both.

What a shame.

Did they mention that he suffered an injury in training or something?

Heck, they were moving toward the Cigar Mile - if healthy why not run in it and retire?

I guess this cements the three year old eclipse.
They said he's retiring sound. Have to wonder if Shug didn't think Orb would do that well in the Cigar Mile. Seems like this definitely moves up WTC's contention for best 3-year-old.

The Tin Man

Yay ... another top horse retires at the ripe old age of 3 ...

Thank God for geldings!

jjacks1

Let's see - who's left of the Derby bunch for next year - usually it's pretty slim pickings.

Orb - retired
Golden Soul
Revolutionary
Normandy Invasion
Mylute
Oxbow - retired
Lines of Battle
Will Take Charge
Charming Kitten
Giant Finish
Overanalyze - retired
Palace Malice
Java's War
Verrazano - retired
Itsmyluckyday
Frac Daddy
Goldencents
Vyjack
Falling Sky
Tiz The Truth

Actually compared to a regular year we're not doing too badly. Some years seems like half or more of the field retires!

A question for all the breeders out there: I'm always surprised at how lightly raced some of these guys are when retired to stud. Except of course for the career ending injuries. Take Orb for example - would you breed to a horse with such a short racing resume? Is the bloodline much more important than the resume? That has always puzzled me.
Just another sh*tty day in Paradise

Man o Taz

Quote from: Islandgirl45 on November 05, 2013, 08:47:00 AM
They said he's retiring sound. Have to wonder if Shug didn't think Orb would do that well in the Cigar Mile. Seems like this definitely moves up WTC's contention for best 3-year-old.

Well, I am glad he is retiring sound.

He did just have a work last week where he went 5 furlongs in 59.12 which one would think is right on the money for what he usually does in training.

I was looking forward to seeing him in the Cigar Mile.

Will look forward to seeing him at stud.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Flanders

I've been waiting for this announcement.  I had no hope of him returning to the track next year.

Zenyatta

Jjacks1, you left Tiz the Truth off that list. ;)

Zenyatta

Dave in TJ Mex

Quote from: Zenyatta on November 09, 2013, 04:42:24 PM
http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/horse-racing-steve-haskin/archive/2013/11/09/why-was-orb-retired.aspx

Steve Haskin is about as puzzled as the rest of us.

Duh -- because his stud value would only get worse the more he races?

Zenyatta

Quote from: Dave in TJ Mex on November 09, 2013, 07:36:21 PM
Quote from: Zenyatta on November 09, 2013, 04:42:24 PM
http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/horse-racing-steve-haskin/archive/2013/11/09/why-was-orb-retired.aspx

Steve Haskin is about as puzzled as the rest of us.

Duh -- because his stud value would only get worse the more he races?

If you'd read the thread you'd seen I'd said that but like Steve admitted, he said he was naive, that is to say, he thought the connections would have been sporting as in years past because they're wealthy enough to not care about the almighty dollar. Apparently such is not the case anymore, especially with the Japanese spending big money on Derby winners

Odd that the Japanese keep buying our Derby winners, none of them has really panned out at stud.

Flanders

When was the last time the Phipps or Janneys had a high profile, 3yo dirt colt?
Phipps: Easy Goer?  Rhythm?  Miner's Mark?  Seeking The Gold?  They all raced at 4, they were also 20 years ago+ and all had shortened 4yo seasons for some reason.  MG1SW Awe Inspiring, from the same crop as Easy Goer, was retired at 3.  At that time though, most top 3yos were coming back at 4.
Janney: Coronado's Quest - retired at 3.

Just because they said he retired sound, doesn't mean he didn't pull or sprain something.  Something had to of come up for him to be retired that fast, when they were working him for the Cigar Mile.  I still figured him to be retired before the end of the year.

Print
User actions