Main Menu

Who is HOTY now?

Started by Zenyatta, November 03, 2013, 10:02:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flanders

Quote from: Zenyatta on November 03, 2013, 06:04:08 PM
Who was the last 3-time HOTY? Was it Curlin?  I can't imagine there ever having been a turfer getting it twice.
Forego (3x) and Kelso (5x) are the only horses to win HOTY more than twice.

Interestingly, if Wise Dan wins again this year, no intact male horse has won HOTY since Curlin in 2008.

Blue Jeans

Quote from: Flanders on November 04, 2013, 01:04:35 AM
Who was the last 3-time HOTY? Was it Curlin?  I can't imagine there ever having been a turfer getting it twice.
Forego (3x) and Kelso (5x) are the only horses to win HOTY more than twice.

Interestingly, if Wise Dan wins again this year, no intact male horse has won HOTY since Curlin in 2008.

All the more reason to LOVE THOSE GELDINGS!

If I could vote, it'd be Wise Dan ... he deserves it!   :puppykisses:
A horse doesn't care how much you know, until he knows how much you care. ~Pat Parelli

Horse sense, n.: Stable thinking. ~Author Unknown

Man o Taz

As stated in the Eclipse thread - its Dan all the way.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Zenyatta

Quote from: Charlie on November 03, 2013, 06:09:48 PM

I thought Curlin only won it twice? But he's last one I remember getting it twice in a row.

Sorry Charlie, I call that a "tablet typo," which I make frequently.  I meant 2 time not 3.  :headshake:

Charlie

Quote from: Zenyatta on November 05, 2013, 07:34:18 PM

Sorry Charlie, I call that a "tablet typo," which I make frequently.  I meant 2 time not 3.  :headshake:

Its all good :D. I have the same type of mistakes on my iphone.

Man o Taz

Will Take Charge inching closer. He's running out of calendar, though. An impressive 11 race season for him.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

curtis

Quote from: Man o Taz on December 03, 2013, 01:04:16 PM
Will Take Charge inching closer. He's running out of calendar, though. An impressive 11 race season for him.

I like Will Take Charge as Horse of the Year.  The biggest drawback to him winning it though would be that we may never see him on the track again--but then we may not anyway.

Zenyatta

As much as I like Will Take Charge, it's hard for me to ignore the races between the Rebel and the Jim Dandy. That's 4months worth of under par performances.

I think Danny gets it again.

peeptoad

Quote from: Zenyatta on December 04, 2013, 06:03:09 AM
As much as I like Will Take Charge, it's hard for me to ignore the races between the Rebel and the Jim Dandy. That's 4months worth of under par performances.

I agree and I don't have a problem with Wise Dan getting it. He performed at top level within his division all year long, with only one hiccup on the synth.

If WTC continues to improve he will be a monster next year; I hope they bring him back for 2014.

curtis

Quote from: Zenyatta on December 04, 2013, 06:03:09 AM

I'm not ignoring them and despite the time elapsed between the Rebel and the Jim Dandy it was really five weeks of sub par performances and even that is debatable.  When you race in the best races available, you are rarely going to win or even be competitive in them all.  We tend to forget that because horses are campaigned in such a safe manner nowadays.  Also, Will Take Charge's Derby was much better than it looks on paper.  A case could be made that he was second best and I'm sure the race took something out of him.  Given the way he was working for the Triple Crown, he probably should have skipped the next two races--or the Preakness at the very least--but D. Wayne likes to dance.  Will Take Charge probably did get something out of those races, though--experience at the very least.  Hey, If Wise Dan had tried the Foster and either the Whitney or Woodward and been remotely competitive in them, I'm all for giving him the award again.  Instead he went the tomato can route--which was certainly his connection's prerogative.  I don't think he should be ultimately rewarded for it though.

Print
User actions