Main Menu

Catch a Glimpse

Started by Zenyatta, July 09, 2016, 02:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zenyatta

What a terrific, tough filly. She would have beaten the boys by over a second in the Belmont Derby.

There are SO many stellar turf fillies and mares this year, they seriously make the boys look bad.

Dusty

This year the fabulous fillies are the excitement!
May they run with the wind

Man o Taz

She could give Songbird a run for her money in the three year old Eclipse race with her running in the Beverly D. next out against elders.

Tepin would be really tough if she pointed to the BC Mile, though.

"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

BaroqueAgain1

If our older males end up being inconsistent this year, and take turns beating each other, could we possibly see FOUR distaffers being given serious consideration for HOTY? Catch A Glimpse, Songbird and Tepin have all been pretty fabulous so far this year, and Beholder may be just getting started.
If Beholder takes the Pacific Classic, Catch A Glimpse the BC F&M Turf, Songbird the Distaff and Tepin the BC Mile, we may be looking at one of the greatest Girl Power years ever.  ;D
Yeah, I know...a lot of "IFs." But you have to admit that the fillies and mares have been consistently excellent so far.

Man o Taz

Very true. Beholder with a BC Classic win would definitely get HOTY. I wonder if she has to win the Pacific Classic to be entered in the BC Classic.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

curtis

Quote from: BaroqueAgain1 on July 11, 2016, 11:07:37 AM
If our older males end up being inconsistent this year, and take turns beating each other, could we possibly see FOUR distaffers being given serious consideration for HOTY? Catch A Glimpse, Songbird and Tepin have all been pretty fabulous so far this year, and Beholder may be just getting started.
If Beholder takes the Pacific Classic, Catch A Glimpse the BC F&M Turf, Songbird the Distaff and Tepin the BC Mile, we may be looking at one of the greatest Girl Power years ever.  ;D
Yeah, I know...a lot of "IFs." But you have to admit that the fillies and mares have been consistently excellent so far.
I think Beholder is the only one who will get any serious play for Horse of the Year. I really don't see it from any of the others.

curtis

Quote from: Man o Taz on July 11, 2016, 01:30:09 PM
Very true. Beholder with a BC Classic win would definitely get HOTY. I wonder if she has to win the Pacific Classic to be entered in the BC Classic.
If Beholder runs a close second or third in the Pacific Classic, I would imagine you'd see her in that filly prep race and then try the BC Classic. If she runs out, in the Pacific Classic, I wouldn't be surprised if she's retired.

BaroqueAgain1

"I think Beholder is the only one who will get any serious play for Horse of the Year. I really don't see it from any of the others. "
   Tepin is undefeated this year, including a win over males and a G1 at Royal Ascot. If she runs the table through the BC Mile, IMHO it would be a travesty if she ISN'T considered.

curtis

Quote from: BaroqueAgain1 on July 11, 2016, 06:00:55 PM
"I think Beholder is the only one who will get any serious play for Horse of the Year. I really don't see it from any of the others. "
   Tepin is undefeated this year, including a win over males and a G1 at Royal Ascot. If she runs the table through the BC Mile, IMHO it would be a travesty if she ISN'T considered.
To my understanding while races in Dubai are considered, races in Europe are not, for year-end North American honors. Usually it's not an issue because not too many horses have gone to Europe and won and she's the only one of note. To me, since you want to play what if, if either Chromie or Beholder wins the Pacific Classic and the BC Classic, it's fait accompli. Or the same if Nyquist wins the Haskell and the BC Classic. Yeah, Tepin and Songbird could make the ballot but really, so what?  Last year no one but Pharoah should have been on the ballot but for some reason others were but judging by the final vote it was a waste of pixels and ink.

Flanders

Quote from: curtis on July 11, 2016, 07:25:38 PM
To my understanding while races in Dubai are considered, races in Europe are not, for year-end North American honors. Usually it's not an issue because not too many horses have gone to Europe and won and she's the only one of note. To me, since you want to play what if, if either Chromie or Beholder wins the Pacific Classic and the BC Classic, it's fait accompli. Or the same if Nyquist wins the Haskell and the BC Classic. Yeah, Tepin and Songbird could make the ballot but really, so what?  Last year no one but Pharoah should have been on the ballot but for some reason others were but judging by the final vote it was a waste of pixels and ink.
I think the only rule for Eclipse Awards is the horse has to start in North America once.  The voters are left to their own devices on what they choose to use as criteria.  If they want to use Tepin's race they can, there are no written rules.

curtis

Quote from: Flanders on July 17, 2016, 07:58:56 PM
I think the only rule for Eclipse Awards is the horse has to start in North America once.  The voters are left to their own devices on what they choose to use as criteria.  If they want to use Tepin's race they can, there are no written rules.
Okay, fair enough, Tepin is putting together quite a resume for Champion Turf Female.  I still don't see Horse of the Year for her.  As for Catch A Glimpse, she seems to work well enough on dirt, if the three-year-old filly Eclipse is a goal they may have to do it the old fashioned way and try to go after Songbird in the Alabama.  I'm not advocating that, I believe you should run for as much as you can against the least that you can.  The Del Mar Oaks or the Secretariat look like good spots for her before the BC Filly and Mare Turf. 

Man o Taz

Quote from: curtis on July 11, 2016, 05:46:54 PM
If Beholder runs a close second or third in the Pacific Classic, I would imagine you'd see her in that filly prep race and then try the BC Classic. If she runs out, in the Pacific Classic, I wouldn't be surprised if she's retired.

Thanks. I would hope she finishes well in the race, but if not there is no shame getting another Eclipse. If she retires post PC I could see the Eclipse going elsewhere. She would definitely need the Lady Secret to get the Eclipse. And I think she would with that win, but without it I think IAC or another older female could do it.

curtis

Quote from: Man o Taz on July 18, 2016, 02:31:16 PM
Thanks. I would hope she finishes well in the race, but if not there is no shame getting another Eclipse. If she retires post PC I could see the Eclipse going elsewhere. She would definitely need the Lady Secret[/b] to get the Eclipse. And I think she would with that win, but without it I think IAC or another older female could do it.
You're slipping, Man, that race is now named after your main girl. ;)

There is no shame in going after another Eclipse for sure.  She has never finished up the track and I just think if it happens in the PC, we won't see her again.  Mandella is one the very select few who could have handled Beholder to the extent she continually reaches her peak.  She has been competitive every time he leads her over.  I think we'll know after the Clement Hirsch.  If she toys with the field then I think all systems are go.

Man o Taz

You are right. I have a lot of trouble calling it The Zenyatta. Of course, I also have a lot of trouble remembering she is Lady's Secret and not Lady Secret. Two of my favorite mares. The Z-E_N-Y-A-T-T-A. Maybe that exercise will help. LOL

BaroqueAgain1

I wouldn't mind if everyone still called it the Lady's Secret. While Zen surely deserves to have a G1 (or two) named after her, kicking the name of Lady's Secret off the marquee in order to get it is just wrong.
Showing respect to one great horse should not mean disrespecting another.  >:(

grumblegrumblegrumble

Print
User actions