It's the Mike Smith and Gary Stevens Show

Started by Zenyatta, November 01, 2013, 04:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zenyatta

So far the score is Smith 2, Stevens 1 at the end of day 1.

Is there a sports comeback award that can be bestowed on Stevens? Truly remarkable.

jjacks1

I'm going to the drugstore to  get some Geritol right now!  :lmao:
Just another sh*tty day in Paradise

Zenyatta

Rides for Stevens and Smith on Day2:

Stevens
----------
BC Juvenile Fillies - She's a Tiger
BC F & M Turf - Marketing Mix
BC F & M Sprint - Starship Truffles
BC Turf Sprint - Caracortado (!!!!!)
BC Turf - Indy Point
BC Classic - Mucho Macho Man

Smith
--------
BC F & M Turf - Emollient
BC F & M Sprint - Ismene
BC Turf Sprint - Mizdirection
BC Juvenile - Tap It Rich
BC Turf - Little Mike
BC Sprint - Laugh Track
BC Mile - No Jet Lag
BC Classic - Game On Dude

Dave in TJ Mex

Good for Mike and Gary.

Happy to see these guys having such success.

Wish Garrett Gomez was still doing well.  :>(

The Tin Man

I think they have legit shots on 3 horses each ...

Prediction ... They'll get 2 each ...

Go No Jet Lag!!!

Islandgirl45

Quote from: Dave in TJ Mex on November 02, 2013, 12:56:41 AM
Good for Mike and Gary.

Happy to see these guys having such success.

Wish Garrett Gomez was still doing well.  :>(
I know. It's weird not to see his name listed among the jockeys riding this BC.

Blue Jeans

Lucky horses, owners and trainers, huh?   :racing:
A horse doesn't care how much you know, until he knows how much you care. ~Pat Parelli

Horse sense, n.: Stable thinking. ~Author Unknown

Zenyatta

One less ride for Gary with Caracortado scratched. :(

Zenyatta

Congrats to Gary Stevens winning the Classic. What a comeback story, and for the horse too, who's had some form reversals but certainly thrives on the West Coast.

Dave in TJ Mex

Good thing for Stevens his TV/movie career went nowhere!   :lmao:

Islandgirl45

Heh. I remember a TBC poster earlier this year who said Mucho Macho Man was "done" and implied Kathy Ritvo had done a poor job training him. ;) 

Zenyatta

Quote from: Dave in TJ Mex on November 02, 2013, 06:04:21 PM
Good thing for Stevens his TV/movie career went nowhere!   :lmao:

He can play himself in the biopic!

Blue Jeans

You see whose name appears first in the heading, don't you?  Remember when the champion horse was the first to be mentioned? 

Stevens, Mucho Macho Man Capture BC Classic

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/81816/stevens-mucho-macho-man-capture-bc-classic

Not complaining.  Stevens brought in my first pick for the 'big one' today.

Congrats to Kathy Ritvo!  First woman trainer to win a Classic!
A horse doesn't care how much you know, until he knows how much you care. ~Pat Parelli

Horse sense, n.: Stable thinking. ~Author Unknown

Islandgirl45

Smith Repeats as Bill Shoemaker Award Winner
by Blood-Horse Staff
Date Posted: 11/3/2013

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/81834/smith-repeats-as-bill-shoemaker-award-winner

Propelled by three wins over the two-day Breeders' Cup World Championships Nov. 1-2, Mike Smith won his second Bill Shoemaker Award in a row as the most outstanding jockey of the 30th edition of the event at Santa Anita Park.

Smith, 48, scored back-to-back victories in the Breeders' Cup Marathon (gr. II) on London Bridge and Outstrip in the Juvenile Turf (gr. IT) Nov. 1, and was victorious aboard Mizdirection in the Geico Turf Sprint (gr. IT) the following day. The Hall of Fame rider extended his all-time lead in Breeders' Cup victories to 20. Jerry Bailey, retired with 15 wins in the Cup, ranks second.

Combined with a second-place finish on Laugh Track in the Xpressbet Sprint (gr. I), a third-place finish on Emollient in the Filly & Mare Turf (gr. IT), and a fourth-place finish on Royal Delta in the Distaff (gr. I), Smith's 37-point total edged fellow Hall of Famer Gary Stevens (33) in a 10-5-3-1 scoring system based on the first through fourth-place finishes in the 14 Breeders' Cup races.

Stevens, 50, booted home winners in the Breeders' Cup Distaff with Beholder and the Classic (gr. I) on Mucho Macho Man. He was awarded five points for finishing second in the Juvenile Fillies (gr. I) on She's a Tiger following her disqualification from first place. He earned another second-place finish on Havana in the Juvenile (gr. I) and a third-place finish on Indy Point in the Turf.

The Bill Shoemaker Award is named in honor of one of the greatest jockeys in the history of Thoroughbred racing. A winner of the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) four times, Shoemaker won more than 8,800 races in a career that spanned more than 40 years. In 1987, at 56, Shoemaker won the Breeders' Cup Classic aboard Ferdinand..........................

BaroqueAgain1

If She's A Tiger had stayed up, Gary might have won that award.
That whole Juv. Filly race was cursed.

Print
User actions