Pennsylvania Derby Could Be The Best Ever

Started by Man o Taz, September 04, 2014, 08:43:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peeptoad

Quote from: Man o Taz on September 15, 2014, 06:56:44 AM
My query was IF the two of them were coming to the race would there be more attendance then just Chrome coming. I actually think its the same answer, though - Chrome is the name - he's the Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner - I doubt people are coming to see the race just because Shared Belief might be entered as well.

I understand... pure speculation. I bet attendance would be higher if the impressive winner of the Pac Classic and the Derby/Preakness winner both shipped 3000 miles to tackle each other on neutral ground.

I do think Parx is somewhat speed favoring... though to what extent (compared to MON, etc.) I'm not sure.

Man o Taz

We'll see.

Do you see any issues with the post position draw in a field of 8 horses.

I don't think it really matters - Bayern is going to use his speed to go to the front - whether its from the 8 spot or the 1 spot. And Chrome will stalk whether starting from the 8 or the 1.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

peeptoad

In terms of field size I don't think post position will negatively affect any horse. I don't know much about the track at PARX... not sure if the rail would be a detriment or not.

Man o Taz

I think the natural speed of the 2 favorites Bayern and California Chrome will eliminate any potential problems.

Chrome has drawn inside before and worked his way out. I think they would probably prefer an outside post, but they'll be able to handle whatever they get.

And Bayern is the same way...he'll likely be gunned to the lead...and the question is will horses be able to catch him coming down the stretch.

The stretch is shorter at Philadelphia Park (I think its a mile track) so horses need to be near the pace coming around the far turn...but that's the style of the two favorites to be on or near the pace so it could be a good race. Its certainly the race to beat Chrome if ever there was one.

Bayern is a shipping animal this year...heading out to the Arkansas Derby, Derby Trial, Preakness, the Woody Stephens, the Haskell, the Travers Stakes, the Pennsylvania Derby...

Some horses do not even run 7 times let alone ship to 7 different tracks...and if you think about it he's a perfect fit for the Cigar Mile so who knows maybe he'll run an odd 11 times this year...since he'll already run 10 having run twice in California before shipping 6 times, 7th coming this week, and then the Breeders Cup will be his 10th race...and then if he comes for the Cigar Mile.

Here is a horse named after my favorite soccer team and while I want him to do well, he has not been my number one horse in any but 1 race I have seen him in - the Woody Stephens...and this time I'll be cheering for California Chrome to win - though Bayern will be a close second.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

curtis

I'd look for Bayern to ship to Santa Anita for the BC Dirt Mile after the PA Derby.  I do agree that the Cigar Mile would be tailor made for him.  Baffert will have to judge how much horse he has left and what the plans are for 2015.

peeptoad

1 CALIFORNIA CHROME, (L) Sherman, A, Espinoza, V, 124
2 CANDY BOY, (L) Sadler, J, Rosario, J, 122
3 PROTONICO, (L) Pletcher, T Castellano, J, 122
4 BAYERN, (L) Baffert, B Garcia, M, 124
5 NOBLE MOON, (L) Gyarmati, L Ortiz, Jr., I, 122
6 CLASSIC GIACNROLL, (L) Guerrero, L Carmouche, K, 117
7 TAPITURE, (L) Asmussen, S Napravnik, R, 122
8 C J'S AWESOME, (L) McPeek, K Prado, E, 117

peeptoad

If either Chrome or Bayern are upset it's probably by Candy Boy. IMO.

Man o Taz

I agree with that.

A little surprised that Bayern shares top weight with California Chrome, though Bayern has been running and Chrome on the bench lately.

I think Tapiture rounds out the field and might make it in the money as well.

Man o Taz

Quote from: curtis on September 15, 2014, 11:39:18 AM
I'd look for Bayern to ship to Santa Anita for the BC Dirt Mile after the PA Derby.  I do agree that the Cigar Mile would be tailor made for him.  Baffert will have to judge how much horse he has left and what the plans are for 2015.

You are absolutely right.

If he is to be pointed for the G1 Donn Handicap where I think his style of running is well suited, he may want to rest him after the Breeders Cup since that comes up in early February.

I do not know many Baffert three year olds that run 10 race schedules, let alone 11 - but perhaps that is to Bayern's credit that he has the durability to do that.

I wonder if he might head to the BC Classic instead of the dirt mile if he were to have a similar performance to his Haskell effort. 

I like Bayern's breeding a lot - as a Wild Again grandson on top who is my favorite BC Classic winner with his gutsy stretch run and Thunder Gulch on the bottom.

So I think he may be able to get the 10 furlong distance if he can change his style of racing a bit and lay off the pace and relax. Right now he seems to be running like Rachel Alexandra gunning to the front and hoping to leave everyone in the dust, but as I have always contended - I thought Rachel's best races were where she lay off the pace a bit like in her Haskell win...perhaps this is a dimension that Bayern can develop with time and maturity. This is his first year running after all. I just hope we continue to see him out East if he does run next year.   

Man o Taz

Bayern, California Chrome, and Candy Boy arrived yesterday with JoJo...

They are going to have the horses for the Cotillion and PA Derby working out between 8:30 and 9:00 AM on the track.

Hope to see them tomorrow. 

peeptoad

Hey Taz... sounds like you will be at PARX for these races? If so would you mind getting me a picture of Winning Image? She is entered in race 4 (the #5 horse) on the undercard Saturday. Thanks if possible!

Man o Taz

Yes, hope to be. No problem. I know I owe you a lot of pictures. ;-)

peeptoad

Quote from: Man o Taz on September 17, 2014, 07:50:35 AM
Yes, hope to be. No problem. I know I owe you a lot of pictures. ;-)

You owe me nothing...  ;) BUT Winning Image is one of my top favorite horses currently racing. BlindLucky on the other board got me a few shots of her on the Preakness undercard... always looking for more.

Man o Taz

Chrome looked great this morning. So much bigger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xgCEcjlRSQ

Man o Taz

Well, Bayern certainly showed himself well.

I know Victor said he had trouble getting out of the inside and did not want to get caught up in a speed duel with Bayern, but he was on the lead for a while and could have moved outside forcing Bayern in. It would have forced him to use a little of his reserves up, but it could have gotten him out of the inside which didn't work in the Belmont and did not work in the Pennsylvania Derby. Now, perhaps the Belmont performance is a toss out because of the grabbed quarter.

I hoped California Chrome would win, but when I heard how they were souping the track up for a record I was a bit worried.

Chrome certainly looked very good on the way to the paddock and the gate from where I was standing.

Of course, Bayern did too. These are two good looking horses. I thought Candy Boy looked good too.

What a day for Mr. Asmussen - a first and a second in the million dollar headline races. And Candy Boy got the best of Chrome in one of the many races they have contested.

The Breeders Cup is on...if they let Bayern get away with those fractions on a track souped up like Santa Anita will likely be Bayern could provide an effort like Game On Dude in the Santa Anita Handicap.

Bayern has certainly distinguished himself as "the other California horse"...now as between California Chrome and Shared Belief.

Print
User actions