Started by The Tin Man, April 05, 2014, 09:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stark

Quote from: peeptoad on October 04, 2016, 01:14:37 PM
That's a great story. ...

Agree, thanks for sharing!

curtis

That's a great story. ... I love when humans are inspired by and revere the nonhuman animals in their lives. The world makes much more sense that way.

:thumbsup:
Yeah, other than my wedding day and the birth of my daughter, not much tops my fifteen minutes with Secretariat--even my Master's Commencement--the groom was right.  That must have been the fifteen minutes of which Andy Warhol was referring. ;)  When we claimed Anniversary Year to retire him, I showed up at the barn with a big bag of peppermints and he wouldn't take one--he will now, but not then.  When we got Border Run though, he takes them by the handful.  Just like his Pop.  I live in the same little town in which Little Current spent his last few years.  Other than spawning the artist Chuck Close, the town is known for two other things, Little Current and Border Run.  There is a restaurant in town that has a bowl of peppermints by the door.  Whenever I leave there I take two or three.  The hostess once said, "You know, those'll rot your teeth!"  I replied, "They're actually for my horse."  "Your horse!?" she said.  She promptly handed me a bag of them.  I call it the aura of Secretariat.

Man o Taz

Quote from: curtis on October 04, 2016, 04:24:53 PM
Yeah, other than my wedding day and the birth of my daughter, not much tops my fifteen minutes with Secretariat--even my Master's Commencement--the groom was right.  That must have been the fifteen minutes of which Andy Warhol was referring. ;)  When we claimed Anniversary Year to retire him, I showed up at the barn with a big bag of peppermints and he wouldn't take one--he will now, but not then.  When we got Border Run though, he takes them by the handful.  Just like his Pop.  I live in the same little town in which Little Current spent his last few years.  Other than spawning the artist Chuck Close, the town is known for two other things, Little Current and Border Run.  There is a restaurant in town that has a bowl of peppermints by the door.  Whenever I leave there I take two or three.  The hostess once said, "You know, those'll rot your teeth!"  I replied, "They're actually for my horse."  "Your horse!?" she said.  She promptly handed me a bag of them.  I call it the aura of Secretariat.

That's a great story. ... I love when humans are inspired by and revere the nonhuman animals in their lives. The world makes much more sense that way.

:thumbsup:

I love both of these posts.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

afleetphil

Great post Curtis. WOW. You feed peppermints to the greatest athlete to ever live. What was it like when you looked Secretariat in the eye. My biggest regret in life was not going to see Secretariat.

Man o Taz

Unfortunately, the wonderful world of horse racing only opened up to me in 1991...in my 25th year...so I missed the great Secretariat.

Since I have tried not to miss many more. That is why I had to go to Churchill to see Zenyatta in the BC Classic. 
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

stark

If you're near Santa Anita and somewhat a California Chrome fan, I can think of lots of worse ways to spend $100.

Thoroughbred Charities of America announced today that it will host a fundraising event entitled "An Evening with Team California Chrome" on Wednesday, November 2 from 7-9 p.m. at Matt Denny's Ale House in Arcadia, Calif.  The evening will feature a hosted conversation with Frank Taylor, Perry Martin, Art Sherman, and Victor Espinoza about the history-making career of California Chrome. All proceeds will benefit Thoroughbred Charities of America.

California Chrome, owned by Frank Taylor and family and Perry and Denise Martin is the North American all-time leading earner and the 2014 Horse of the Year.  Taylor said, "I look forward to reflecting on the outstanding racing career of California Chrome while raising money for charity."

Perry Martin added, "It will be a great opportunity to clear up all the myths and misconceptions."

Limited tickets are available for $100 per person here or by calling 859-276-4989. Hors d'oeuvres and a cash bar will be offered.

Man o Taz

If I were within a 12 hour drive I would be there... :(

CA_Chrome

Quote from: Man o Taz on October 24, 2016, 02:29:29 PM
If I were within a 12 hour drive I would be there... :(

I moved from L.A. to North Carolina in mid 2015. How I wish I was still back in SoCal to be able to go to these events.  :(

stark

Watching the TVG feed of Chrome's ride over to Santa Anita.
Seems to be enjoying himself, all alone in a double-wide, looking out the windows.

I'm not the shipping expert, but I do know about seat belts.  Kinda surprised Chrome isn't belted in, wonder what the insurance company thinks about that?

Be safe big boy!

Man o Taz

It was a fun watch and I was thinking the same way about belts. Maybe they figure the horse is better able to protect himself in the event of a sudden stop and want to avoid injury that might occur from him being clipped in?

Fun to watch.

CA_Chrome

Holy cow! This was Chrome's gallop today. It was all Dihigi could do to hold him to a gallop. Had a near choke hold on Chrome, who was galloping faster than most horses breeze, or so it seemed: http://www.xbtv.com/video/bcworks/california-chrome-galloped-at-santa-anita-park-on-october-31st-2016-for-the-breeders-cup-classic/

Man o Taz

He looks like he is ready. Hopefully there is a clean break and no excuses.

Arrogate has been training well too.

It seems like this race will tell us a lot.

CA_Chrome

Chrome worked a nice 4f in :48 2/5 at Los Alamitos this morning: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/217808/california-chrome-logs-first-post-bc-work

Los Alamitos is trying to put together a prep race for Chrome before he heads east for the Pegasus: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/217805/california-chrome-could-race-at-los-al-next  Lots of debate in that article's comments about whether or not this is a good idea, but I totally understand why Los Alamitos wants to do this if they can pull it together.

Dusty

Quote from: CA_Chrome on November 19, 2016, 07:45:13 AM
Chrome worked a nice 4f in :48 2/5 at Los Alamitos this morning: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/217808/california-chrome-logs-first-post-bc-work

Los Alamitos is trying to put together a prep race for Chrome before he heads east for the Pegasus: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/217805/california-chrome-could-race-at-los-al-next  Lots of debate in that article's comments about whether or not this is a good idea, but I totally understand why Los Alamitos wants to do this if they can pull it together.

CHROME wants to RUN - not sure I would do it at Los Al - but they sure have put up for TB racing in California - so I support them on this
May they run with the wind

Print
User actions