Main Menu

Saratoga or Del Mar?

Started by stark, June 06, 2016, 08:34:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stark

Where would you rather be this summer?

Me.....well I guess it has to be Saratoga since I've been to DelMar approximately 177 times not counting the sunrise donut sessions and I've never been to Saratoga not even once.  Very high on my bucket list. 

curtis

Quote from: stark on June 06, 2016, 08:34:47 AM
Where would you rather be this summer?

Me.....well I guess it has to be Saratoga since I've been to DelMar approximately 177 times not counting the sunrise donut sessions and I've never been to Saratoga not even once.  Very high on my bucket list.
I've been to Saratoga, great track!  I'll take Del Mar. There is something about hearing a tipsy Der Bingle slur through that song on the way out that makes maybe not breaking quite even seem so bad.😉

stark

Quote from: curtis on June 06, 2016, 08:54:25 AM
I've been to Saratoga, great track!  I'll take Del Mar. There is something about hearing a tipsy Der Bingle slur through that song on the way out that makes maybe not breaking quite even seem so bad.😉

Agreed, even the exits are memorable whether you have to walk across a dirt lot to get to your car of if you stand waiting at the valet while they bring all the really fancy cars up ahead of yours, great entertainment from beginning to end, and it doesn't end there as Red Tractons, The Brig and others are ready and waiting for you!  Saratoga may have to wait another year ;)

peeptoad

Saratoga.
I've been to both a number of times.... visited DMR at least 3 or 4 times when I lived in LA and the Spa numerous times over the year because I used to have family in the area. I even managed to hit both the Travers and Pac Classic in the same year once (the year Col John won the Travers I think). They're both great venues, but I'll take the Spa please.
:thumbsup:

afleetphil

I'll take the Spa. Lots of history there.

Man o Taz

Well, plan on being at the Spa for much of this summer.

Del Mar on the bucket list.

But will be hitting Santa Anita before that.

Only been to Hollywood Park and Los Alamitos in CA.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Raven

Saratoga for me
call no man happy till he dies. ~SOLON~

Senator L

Never been to either one - but there's still time  :chickendance:

curtis

Quote from: Man o Taz on June 06, 2016, 01:13:09 PM
Well, plan on being at the Spa for much of this summer.

Del Mar on the bucket list.

But will be hitting Santa Anita before that.

Only been to Hollywood Park and Los Alamitos in CA.
The last several years after the Bay Meadows Land Company takeover, Hollywood Park really went to seed.  I thought about flying down there during the fall of 2013 and going one last time--it was once my favorite track--but I decided against it.  It would have been like viewing the deceased, for me, I like to remember them a different way.  Los Alamitos has always been utilitarian at best.  I've seen many great quarter horse races there but it has never worked for thoroughbreds for me.  I did claim Anniversary Year, just about the best 1/2 ton pet ever, there. Thirteen years later, I'm still doctoring his feet after all the races he ran on that hard track.

Pre-1992 Del Mar had all the history and charm you'd ever want.  The new grandstand is decent and the architectural style was honored, but it has a slightly sterile feel to it.  If you want to see both Santa Anita and Del Mar, I suggest you go to the end of the SA fall meet and the beginning of Del Mar fall.  The weather in Del Mar will be very similar to the summer and you'll be able to get around town much easier.  The racing won't be as good as in the summer but you won't have to fight crowds.  There is a certain pace to a day at Del Mar and being a so CA beach boy, I can't think of anything better than a racetrack on the beach.  I live on a farm in WA state now, very much like what surrounds Saratoga, it is a lovely place.  I'll always love Del Mar though, heaven on earth for me.

Dusty

My bucket list includes Saratoga - maybe I will plan a trip next year - DelMar is close to me so have been many times - I would not give it real high marks - crowded expensive and if you book seats - make sure you can see the track!
May they run with the wind

Zenyatta

Quote from: Dusty on June 06, 2016, 07:33:36 PM
My bucket list include Saratoga - maybe I plan a trip next year - DelMar is close to me so have been many times - I would not give it real high marks - crowded expensive and if you book seats - make sure you can see the track!

Agreed. I enjoy Santa Anita more, but then a 10 minute drive vs a 100 mile train trip is soooo nice. I've never been to Saratoga, but it's on the horsey bucket list. Can't believe I managed to get to Newmarket first.

Man o Taz

Quote from: curtis on June 06, 2016, 04:21:03 PM
The last several years after the Bay Meadows Land Company takeover, Hollywood Park really went to seed.  I thought about flying down there during the fall of 2013 and going one last time--it was once my favorite track--but I decided against it.  It would have been like viewing the deceased, for me, I like to remember them a different way.  Los Alamitos has always been utilitarian at best.  I've seen many great quarter horse races there but it has never worked for thoroughbreds for me.  I did claim Anniversary Year, just about the best 1/2 ton pet ever, there. Thirteen years later, I'm still doctoring his feet after all the races he ran on that hard track.

Pre-1992 Del Mar had all the history and charm you'd ever want.  The new grandstand is decent and the architectural style was honored, but it has a slightly sterile feel to it.  If you want to see both Santa Anita and Del Mar, I suggest you go to the end of the SA fall meet and the beginning of Del Mar fall.  The weather in Del Mar will be very similar to the summer and you'll be able to get around town much easier.  The racing won't be as good as in the summer but you won't have to fight crowds.  There is a certain pace to a day at Del Mar and being a so CA beach boy, I can't think of anything better than a racetrack on the beach.  I live on a farm in WA state now, very much like what surrounds Saratoga, it is a lovely place.  I'll always love Del Mar though, heaven on earth for me.

Thank you for sharing. Here is hoping you are doctoring Anniversary Year's feet for many years to come keeping him happy. I will probably make it to Santa Anita for a Breeders Cup event when I go, though not this year. And I do want to see Del Mar some time - and it will probably be in the time frame you suggest.

My one and only visit to Hollywood Park was in late 2013 for the Cash Call Futurity with Shared Belief. Reflecting on the visit now I get a bit choked up since Shared Belief is no longer around. I had a choice that year to go to the Breeders Cup at Santa Anita, or visit Hollywood Park. Since it was closing, I chose Hollywood Park. I am very glad I did because it was my only chance to see Shared Belief win a race in person. I also had the privilege of visiting him at his barn the following day.

Though it may be hard to believe, I could still feel the charm of the place even though it was a shell of itself. I walked the entire length of the track taking pictures in the grandstand and clubhouse. The track kitchen had some of the best salsa I have ever had. The barns were concrete, but that was practical to protect the horses. I never visited Gulfstream Park when it had the old grandstands. I hear they were magnificent. Fortunately, I have had the chance to see Hialeah since it has been refurbished. In fact, right after it was refurbished. Now that is a grandstand. Hollywood Park I liked so much more than Gulfstream now. It had flamingoes. It had palm trees. It had Sherman, Hollendorfer, and O'Neill on the backside. And we even saw Lava Man in his latest role. I only visited the place once but I get emotional thinking about it. It is very sad that some things need to end. That the past has to give way to the present. They call it progress, but at what cost? I guess I am truly getting old. I think I will go home and look at the pictures I took there tonight.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

stark

Well heck, since we're gonna get all misty eyed with Hollywood Park stories I might as well explain breaking my maiden there back in the late 50's and early 60's.  I was born in nearby Culver City and grew up in Marina Del Rey before there were any boats!  Going to Hollywood Park with my uncle and grandfather was just a natural, they worked at nearby MGM studios and had all sorts of "contacts" at the track.  My first big winner was the result of my "stooping" for a $12 ticket, immediately went to Big5 sporting goods and purchased my first ever little league glove, didn't have to share anymore and I was hooked with a lifetime memory!!

I really wish kids today could have some kind of introduction to the sport like I got.  Listening to Harry Henson call some great races, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9bucY6hLbA was really special. 

A simple match race even seemed very exciting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4F8pDHCErw

And Henson called perhaps the most brilliant filly I ever saw in person.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVOEIBIA80Q

Ahhh, Hollywood Park, RIP.

BaroqueAgain1

Think I'd take Del Mar over Saratoga...for the simple reason that I am a magnet for mosquitoes, and their bites turn into huge, itchy red welts when I'm bitten.
I grew up back east, and I never, ever want to step outside a door into a swarm of biting 'sqeeters again.

curtis

Quote from: stark on June 07, 2016, 02:51:40 PM
Well heck, since we're gonna get all misty eyed with Hollywood Park stories I might as well explain breaking my maiden there back in the late 50's and early 60's.  I was born in nearby Culver City and grew up in Marina Del Rey before there were any boats!  Going to Hollywood Park with my uncle and grandfather was just a natural, they worked at nearby MGM studios and had all sorts of "contacts" at the track.  My first big winner was the result of my "stooping" for a $12 ticket, immediately went to Big5 sporting goods and purchased my first ever little league glove, didn't have to share anymore and I was hooked with a lifetime memory!!

I really wish kids today could have some kind of introduction to the sport like I got.  Listening to Harry Henson call some great races, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9bucY6hLbA was really special. 

A simple match race even seemed very exciting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4F8pDHCErw

And Henson called perhaps the most brilliant filly I ever saw in person.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVOEIBIA80Q

Ahhh, Hollywood Park, RIP.
What, no video of Chris Evert v Miss Musket?  I'm thinking the video crew wore out their wide angle lens on that one. ;) 

That Typecast v Convenience match was one for the ages.  Typecast won three open races that year that would be all G1's the next year when the grading of races began.  They were all on turf--12f Hollywood Turf Invitational, 16f Sunset Handicap and 12f Man O' War.  I don't think the voters knew what to do with her so she was named Champion Older Mare.  Cougar II, who she beat in the Hollywood Turf Invitational, was named Champion Turf Horse.  Convenience, in her own right, was an elite mare who just adored Hollywood Park.

I remember after the Landaluce race Ray Sibille, who rode the place horse, said he tried to ride his filly into the winner's circle.  He could have sworn he won, as he beat everything he could see.

Print
User actions