2014 Vox Populi Award Nominees

Started by Man o Taz, November 11, 2014, 09:10:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Man o Taz

The easy one is California Chrome.

A lot of people have spoken about their affection for this horse, how since Zenyatta no horse has drawn people to the sport like him, and his story and those of his connections are so compelling. He is likely the winner popularity wise but I think there are other worthy challengers.

I would like to add Shared Belief.

This horse had a ton of talent winning the Cash Call Futurity over two horses who for some time were in the mix for the Kentucky Derby - one who actually made the gate Candy Boy and the other Tamarando. His talent and performance earned him the two year old Eclipse. Because of his hoof problems, which I understand were painful, he endured an arduous rehabilitation effort and made his way back to almost winning the Breeders Cup Classic and being named horse of the year. This effort began really in late August and involved three open company races. To date, he is the only three year old horse to win two G1 races against older horses this year. It is an incredible feat.

The other horse I think should receive serious consideration is Wise Dan.

This horse is a total warrior. He knows what to do to win and he does it. He suffered a life threatening illness and rebounded to win two graded stakes races. Then, he suffered another injury that forced his withdrawal from the Breeders Cup which is a shame because with a win in the BC Mile it would have been likely that he would have won HOTY given what happened in the Classic. With Main Sequence, now it seems he may not even win champion turf horse. However, he has won the hearts of many with his heroic efforts. His connections are great as well. Mr. Lopresti is totally behind Wise Dan and his ability suggesting that he could run in the BC Classic or the Clark Handicap. When a microphone was held up to diminutive owner, Morton Fink, the response to the possibility of running in the Classic was succinct - "no" satisfied that his two-time Horse of the Year has nothing to prove to anyone.  Dan has been courageous throughout. He is my choice.

Who is your nominee?
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Delamont

I'd go with Wise Dan for the same reasons.

Somebody bet on the gray!

Catalina

I will go with Shared Belief.

Man o Taz

I would also like to add the perhaps the anti-Vox Populi entry at this point...Bayern.

Bayern campaigned twice early in the year when he broke his maiden before racing 7 times across the Mississippi River at places like Oaklawn, Churchill Downs, Belmont Park, Monmouth Park, Saratoga, and Philadelphia Park. During that time he ran in races of 7 furlongs, 1 mile, 9 furlongs and 10 furlongs. Granted he is the Breeders Cup Classic winner, albeit controversially.

However, I believe his durability is second to none this year.

I do not think he is very popular right now. Some have said they will vote him HOTY because he was credited with winning the race. Others have suggested that there is a conspiracy or because of the race interference they will not vote for him because he should have been taken down. Still others believe he should have been taken down, but since he stayed up he earned their vote for HOTY because he won the BC Classic. However, one cannot take away the fact that this horse has tried his best, and against the odds he did win the top open company 10 furlong race in the country. The talent, heart and courage of this animal is remarkable. How many horses after being engaged in an incident like this at the start, whether they caused it or not, would be able to run the distance that he did and be victorious in a quick time - 1:59.88. It was a strong performance.

I would also like to see Itsmyluckday nominated. He was injured in a prep race for the G1 Haskell in 2013 challenging Verrazano, the eventual Pegasus and Haskell winner after finishing as the runner-up to Oxbow in last year's Preakness Stakes. The injury was serious. While many had suggested that horses had come back from similar injuries, it was still a question mark. His trainer, Eddie Plesa, picked out an ambitious campaign for him where he lost to Palace Malice  finishing 4th in the G3 Gulfstream Park Handicap. A more careful campaign was then conceived to build the horse's confidence. After winning a minor stakes race at Gulfstream Park he was shipped to Monmouth Park where he continued to win the Majestic Light Stakes and the Salvator Mile. He was being pointed to another stakes race at Monmouth Park when a decision was made to step up the competition again entering the second G1 race of his career, the Whitney Handicap. Few gave he and Moreno a chance with the highly regarded Palace Malice entered against an all-star field. He finished a strong second to Moreno turning the tables the next time in the G1 Woodward Stakes and showing himself as a top 4 year old. His next out the connections chose to cut son of Lawyer Ron back in distance in the G2 Kelso Handicap. He finished a disappointing 3rd. There would be no Breeders Cup for him. He would instead be rested for the G1 Cigar Mile at Aqueduct which would be his final race before retiring to Spendthrift Farm. I have a deep affection for Lawyer Ron's progeny. I think this is his best son.

The more I think about it, I do not know who I'll go with. If I think California Chrome wins HOTY, I may look elsewhere for this award. See Above. Dan's my choice.

Wise Dan and Shared Belief are both very worthy contenders. After their remarkable years it would be a shame if neither were to win an award. We know Shared Belief will be back so we will see his brilliance in 2015 God willing that he stays healthy. The fact that he was brilliant as a two year old and then again as a three year old gives us every expectation that he will carry his brilliance into his four year old season of racing.

Wise Dan we do not know. He may have run his last race. Who knows? Two-time HOTY Cigar creating a vacancy at the Kentucky Horse Park with his untimely departure for another two-time HOTY? It may be kismet. One thing is certain - with the latest additions of Game On Dude and Amazombie and possibly Wise Dan, Lexington Kentucky is remains as much of a destination for visiting geldings and retired stallions at the Kentucky Horse Park and Old Friends as the stallion farms themselves. 
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Man o Taz

http://www.secretariat.com/fan-club/vox-populi-award/

The candidates are:

Ben's Cat
California Chrome
Game On Dude
Shared Belief
Untapable
Wise Dan

My choice is noted above.

afleetphil

I voted for Wise Dan. Something about a horse that comes back and wins after a serious injury/ illness.

Print
User actions