2014 Three Year Olds Returning In 2015

Started by Man o Taz, November 03, 2014, 01:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Man o Taz

Well, we have one...maybe...
http://www.dailynews.com/events/20141101/bayern-wins-breeders-cup-classic-amid-controversy

Bayern's owner, Kaleem Shah, said he plans to continue racing his Offlee Wild colt, raising the possibility that fans can look forward to the winner squaring off again against California Chrome and Shared Belief in 2015.

"He'll race as a 4-year-old, 5-year-old, and 6-year-old, if he can," Shah said. "I'm a horse racing fan first, and I know the fans hate it when good horses get retired. So I'm going to make sure as long as he's sound and Bob tells me he wants to run, he'll keep running."

"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Man o Taz

And we have recently heard from California Chrome's camp that he will be returning in 2015...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/11/03/us-horse-racing-chrome-idUSKBN0IN20U20141103

Coburn, who co-owns the horse with Perry Martin, said he would choose the races California Chrome will run in 2015 very carefully.

"The future is good because we're going to race him as a 4-year-old," Coburn told Reuters in a telephone interview. "We're going to be very choosy in the races we'll put this horse in.

"There's no sense in taking a chance of hurting him."

"We're thinking racing as a 4-year-old will be really, really good for this horse," he said. "His showing as a 4-year-old will enhance what he did in his 3-year-old campaign."

California Chrome, ridden by Victor Espinoza, broke from 13th post in the 14-horse Classic on Saturday and fought gamely in the stretch to finish a half-length behind the two front-runners, Bayern and Toast of New York.

"The stretch run was fantastic," said Coburn. "He only got beat by half a length. He was coming on like a freight train. If the stretch run had been 10 yards longer, he'd have probably won by three lengths."

"He came out of the race just absolutely fantastic," said Coburn. "We saw him yesterday (Sunday). He looked like he could run the race all over again. He was really, really high in spirits."

"He proved on Saturday that he's a race horse," he said. That's what he does. We can't wait for the future. We're going forward."

"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Man o Taz

We also know that Wicked Strong was done for this year as a result of his injury in the G1 Jockey Club Gold Cup, but his trainer hinted he would be back...

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoroughbred-racing/wicked-strong-through-racing-for-the-year/
"We've decided to give him the rest of the year off and not go to California," Jerkens said. "We were thinking that way even after the Travers. I think it's unfair to have the Breeders' Cup out there every year. The Californians always have the best shot. How are you going to beat them going across the country from cool to hot weather? We want to have a nice horse for next year."

Man o Taz

We also now the following horses have returned to training:

Constitution
Worked October 26th at Belmont Park in 47.67.
I wonder if he may try the Cigar Mile with those sharp works.

Danza
Worked Saturday 4 furlongs at Palm Meadows in 50:27.

Honor Code
Worked Saturday 4 furlongs at Belmont Park in 49.39.

Hoppertunity raced October 29th.

Man o Taz

I almost forgot the gelding Shared Belief will likely be there too and for years after that hopefully.

I was shocked his half sister in foal to his sire, Candy Ride, did not bring more $$$ in the sale yesterday.

Man o Taz

According to his Facebook Page Commissioner is on the comeback trail...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Commissioner-Racehorse/466608036781264

Man o Taz

Quote from: Man o Taz on November 03, 2014, 01:29:23 PM
Honor Code
Worked Saturday 4 furlongs at Belmont Park in 49.39.

Keep hoping to see Top Billing on a work tab.

I just heard Honor Code might be pointing for the Cigar Mile after all.

Man o Taz

According to Tonalist's HRN page, he has been sent to Payson Park to rest up for 2015 where the Dubai World Cup may be on his agenda.

http://www.horseracingnation.com/horse/Tonalist

peeptoad

Quote from: Man o Taz on November 05, 2014, 11:45:26 AM
Keep hoping to see Top Billing on a work tab.

I just heard Honor Code might be pointing for the Cigar Mile after all.

I read something about Top Billing recently that made me think he was on the way back, but just hadn't actually worked yet. I think it was in the recent DRF article about Honor Code.

Senator L

I hope all the horses stay healthy seems like it will
be one heck of a good year :chickendance:

Man o Taz

Could be one of the strongest older horse fields in a long time.

Man o Taz

Shared Belief in 2015?

One of Shared Belief's victories - his most impressive - occurred on polytrack at Del Mar. Del Mar has switched to dirt. Del Mar was the last of the major California tracks to switch to dirt.

Mr. Hollendorfer indicated post-Awesome Again that he had a preference for synthetic.

How will Shared Belief deal with racing on dirt all the time?

Are there any tracks in the US which will feature a G1 race on synthetic? I do not think so.

It will be very interesting to see whether Shared Belief's turn of foot on dirt can equal his blazing speed on synthetic.

peeptoad

Nope, no more open G1s on the all weather in this country. Note sure Woodbine have (or ever had) a G1 on their Poly either.
Shared Belief will just have to deal with dirt... they could always try him on turf I suppose.

Toast of New York is another that I am excited to see again. Will he race again?

peeptoad

Apparently Pletcher is pointing both Danza and Constitution to the Donn Handicap. I can't access the full article since my DRF subscription ran out last month though...

Man o Taz

Well, I guess that makes sense since they are two of his three top three year old charges.

I've never seen Danza run in person, but I did see Constitution in an allowance race at Gulfstream and he was a standout.

I wonder if Commissioner goes back into training what they might do with him. He and Honor Code are the most prominent last crop A.P. Indy sons still racing so I am anxious to see how they do.

Perhaps he'd send Commissioner to NY for racing which would be a shame if Honor Code decides to begin in the Hal's Hope and contest the Donn Handicap as well. It would have been nice to see the two sons compete.

Print
User actions