Mr. Longtail, Meet Mr. No Tail

Started by Man o Taz, October 30, 2014, 12:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Man o Taz

In the early 40s we had Mr. Longtail (AKA Whirlaway).

I think American Pharoah gives us the modern version...Mr. No Tail.

"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

serenassong

Hmm- wonder what happened with AP's tail?  There is a horse that I follow named Jumanah who used to have a tail even shorter than that, but it did grow back.
So, hopefully that is the case.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
Mythbusters

Blue Jeans

I'm a fan of AP.  Bob Baffert said he got AP with that short tail, and no one will say what happened to it.  It's pitiful looking!  A fine looking horse like that shouldn't have a "little duster" of a tail that couldn't swat a fly if it wanted to!  The tail is the horse's dignity .... like a squirrel considers its tail, and the tail is a necessity for both horse and squirrel. 

Would a tail extension be allowed on a racehorse?  Just curious.  There are several tail extension shops on the internet, so AP isn't the only horse in need of a tail.   ;D

I've been around since Whirlaway ..... was just a few months old in 1941 when he became the country's fifth TC winner.  Have a special place in my heart for Mr. Longtail.   :hug:
A horse doesn't care how much you know, until he knows how much you care. ~Pat Parelli

Horse sense, n.: Stable thinking. ~Author Unknown

Man o Taz

That's one horse biography I want to read - Whirlaway.

I've read about him in a book about Churchill Downs and in the Bloodhorse's top 100 but I want more detail.  :)
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Delamont

Quote from: Blue Jeans on October 31, 2014, 07:59:14 AM
I'm a fan of AP.  Bob Baffert said he got AP with that short tail, and no one will say what happened to it.  It's pitiful looking!  A fine looking horse like that shouldn't have a "little duster" of a tail that couldn't swat a fly if it wanted to!  The tail is the horse's dignity .... like a squirrel considers its tail, and the tail is a necessity for both horse and squirrel. 

Would a tail extension be allowed on a racehorse?  Just curious.  There are several tail extension shops on the internet, so AP isn't the only horse in need of a tail.   ;D

I've been around since Whirlaway ..... was just a few months old in 1941 when he became the country's fifth TC winner.  Have a special place in my heart for Mr. Longtail.   :hug:

A tail extension would make sense, but look at the breathing strips flap, so who knows?

Sometimes when I watch the HK races there are horses with WEIRD tailcuts.  Always wondered what that was about.
Somebody bet on the gray!

Man o Taz

Well, Hansen had a blue tail. I don't know about extensions.

Mr. No Tail will show be can win without a tail.  :)

ElPrado

From what I read, he was in a pasture with Mr Z and another Derby contender awhen they were yearlings and they chewed it off. Hopefully he will remember and not let them get too close in the Derby.  :lmao:

peeptoad

Quote from: ElPrado on April 21, 2015, 02:47:38 PM
From what I read, he was in a pasture with Mr Z and another Derby contender awhen they were yearlings and they chewed it off.

El Kabeir. All 3 of the Zayat horses were pastured together as yearlings...

ElPrado

He shouldn't have too much to worry about then.

Man o Taz

Seems like his tail is growing.

Print
User actions