Santa Anita Derby

Started by The Tin Man, April 02, 2014, 08:06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Tin Man

Here are the entries for the big race ... Since there is no Bayern, I'm going Cali Chrome all the way!!!

What about you???

Race 8 - Santa Anita Derby (Grade I)

Purse $1,000,000.  For Three-Year-Olds. By subscription of $300 each to accompany the nomination (EARLY BIRD) on or before December, 28, 2013. Closed with 116. Early Bird nominees to the Santa Anita Derby are automatically eligible to, the Sham Stakes (Grade III), the Robert B. Lewis Stakes (Grade II), and the San Felipe Stakes (GradeI II) with nomination and starting fees waived to those stakes. Regular nominations close Saturday, March 22, 2014 by payment of $2,500 each. Closed with 3. Supplementary nominations are due at time of entry, by payment of $20,000. All horses shall pay $5,000 to enter and $10,000 to start, with $1,000,000 guaranteed. The winner to receive $600,000 PLUS 100 KENTUCKY DERBY POINTS, $200,000 to second, $120,000 to third, $60,000 to fourth and $20,000 to fifth. 122 Lbs. Graded or Group winners have first preference. Horses with the highest earnings in non-claiming races second preferred. A trophy will be presented to the winning owner. One And One Eighth Miles. 

PP Horse Virtual Stable A/S Med Jockey Wgt Trainer

1 Rprettyboyfloyd (KY)   3/R L R Bejarano 122 D E Breuer
2 Friendswith K Mill (KY)   3/C L T Baze 122 D F O'Neill
3 Hoppertunity (KY)   3/C L M E Smith 122 B Baffert
4 Big Tire (KY)   3/C L E A Maldonado 122 M Glatt
5 California Chrome (CA)   3/C L V Espinoza 122 A Sherman
6 Candy Boy (KY)   3/C L G L Stevens 122 J W Sadler
7 Schoolofhardrocks (KY)   3/C L J Talamo 122 D E Hofmans
8 Dublin Up (KY)   3/C L K J Desormeaux 122 P Miller

Man o Taz

Hoppertunity and California Chrome.

"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Senator L

Candy Boy and Big Tire for me :chickendance:

Man o Taz

And I'll be rooting fro the Shermanator who we enjoyed seeing at breakfast every AM when we visited Hollywood Park!
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Raven

Exacta box!!

Rprettyboyfloyd-Big Tire-Candy Boy

call no man happy till he dies. ~SOLON~

Dusty

California CHROME! Rprettyboyfloyd Candy Boy
May they run with the wind

peeptoad

I realize that Chrome is fast and the last couple of races he really hasn't been asked... if runs back to last (and when did that BSF get "adjusted" because now it's slightly higher than I remember it being originally?) yeah, he probably wins. The problem I am having is that his last figure is the outlier in his pps. I am not completely sold on him yet. He could still regress and win, but he's my 2nd choice in here.
Candy Boy got an absolutely perfect trip in his last, as opposed to the horses that ran 2-3, both of which were wide. When Midnight Hawk hits the frame after going wide and running at a distance that is probably slightly beyond his best, you know the race wasn't too tough. And I didn't care for the Sunland Derby at all; both Chitu and Hawk were gasping at the end. Candy Boy has his work cut out for him, but he is clearly the 3rd best horse here, so a forward move puts him in contention, but. Still, I will let him beat me.
I'm sticking with Hoppertunity here. With all due respect to Chrome I vastly prefer his running lines, even if he's only had 4 starts. I think it's more likely he moves forward vs. Chrome (though, as stated, Chrome basically needs to just replicate the last to potentially win). If Hopper breaks well I think he can secure a good tracking trip and, if he's good enough, wins. He does need to improve a bit here, but my main concern is the two cross country trips... I can see why Baffert did not want to ship him to AR again.

Hoppertunity
California Chrome
Candy Boy

good luck

Man o Taz

I think the truly interesting issue is that Candy Boy needs this race points wise. California Chrome and Hoppertunity do not. Certainly you want to see them finish well as their trainer, but they don't need to win and Steve Haskin was even suggesting that they both could take a slight step back.

The interesting issue will be with Candy Boy whether he is competitive based upon his long layoff while the other horses have been running.

Remember how Cairo Prince looked after his 9 week layoff. Candy Boy has had an 8 week lay off. What I am seeing here is that Hollywood Futurity runners are paying the price for there being no points in that race.

Tamarando finished third and would have 14 points now which were more than enough to get a horse into the gate for the Kentucky Derby last year. He would be tied for 24th on the Derby list now ahead of Kristo who also has 14 points because of his graded stakes winnings. With the way defections occur as the race approaches, he might make it in the gate.

Worse off is Candy Boy who would have 14 points now like Cairo Prince did with his Remsen runner-up finish and his win in the Holy Bull. If Candy Boy finishes 4th - he too will have 24 points and possibility make the Derby gate, though he will be second to Cairo Prince earnings wise with a 4th place finish in the Santa Anita Derby.

Senator L

Should be a good race. The more I read and watch California Chrome
it's hard not to like him, especially his connections. Can you imagine going to the
Derby with a superstar like Swaps and then 60 years later you get
to go back! That's like the circle of life, for horse racing. I hope Sherman's horse runs well

Dance With Gable

Cali Chrome Day! Bring your purple and see you in the winner's circle!

Can't imagine his not winning if he runs even halfway decently.

I only saw Bayern and Indianapolis as serious threats to him and since they're not here, he should get this.

(Dance With Gable aka The Tin Man)

Dance With Gable

I see the order of finish being ...

Cali Chrome
Rprettyboyfloyd
Candy Boy

Dusty

THAT was a WOW = California Chrome is THE REAL DEAL!!! Gotta get me some purple and green (*) :thumbsup:
May they run with the wind

peeptoad

Definitely the real deal- I'm a believer now... hopefully Chrome likes the CD strip and gets a decent post since those are the only real unknowns at this point. He's a worthy Derby favorite.
I thought Hoppertunity ran well while clearly the second best horse. I am mildly concerned that Baffert shipped and ran him too much before the Derby though. He looked a bit thin in the post parade and he's already run five times this year. He seems like a solid, classic distance horse though and there don't seem to be many of those in this crop of 3yos so far.

Print
User actions