NYT Two Trainers Accused of Cruelty To Animals

Started by Man o Taz, March 20, 2014, 09:29:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Man o Taz

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/20/sports/peta-accuses-two-trainers-of-cruelty-to-horses.html?ref=sports&target=comments&_r=0#commentsContainer

This is very sad.

Some have suggested that national regulation of the industry with a centralized body is unworkable and will create more bureaucracy without achieving the desired impact.

However, if you examine the centralized treatment that has occurred in other nations like Great Britain, France, and Japan the results indicate otherwise.

The sport of horse racing is an industry, and the idea of centralization does raise concerns since the inevitable result of any major change could be added costs in terms of oversight, reporting and investigation. However, the alternative of the status quo is growing less and less acceptable.

We need to adopt the system adopted in Europe and Japan of no drugs unless it can be shown that the European and Japanese systems are rife with the same number of breakdowns and injuries as the American system.

"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Man o Taz

Here is a listing to all the racing authorities internationally...

The US has the NTRA and the Breeders Cup which have only limited authority to regulate.

http://www.ifhaonline.org/linksDisplay.asp
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Raven

Dog bites man,no news.
Man bites dog,that's news!!

That was very sad how Nehro lived his days with these so called horseman!
call no man happy till he dies. ~SOLON~

perfectsoul

The saddest part of all is witnessing the industry people like Maggi Moss, Frankie Lovato, Alex Brown etc.  pretend that this was all a big peta set up. I can't stand peta, but Steve's drug violation record is not a set up, is it? It is on the record. Everyone knows there are many many  good folks on the backside, but we also know the industry needs to be cleaned up in terms of drugs. Watching everyone circle the wagons like this is very, very sad.

Delamont

What's really sad is ANYONE taking what a terrorist organization says as the truth. 
Somebody bet on the gray!

Man o Taz

I hope the the horse racing industry for the integrity of the sport can move beyond this issue and undertake what it should - a zero tolerance policy for drugs in horse racing similar to the policy embraced in most other countries where racing takes place.

However, I have little expectation that this will occur.

Catalina

Quote from: Man o Taz on March 21, 2014, 08:21:50 AM
I hope the the horse racing industry for the integrity of the sport can move beyond this issue and undertake what it should - a zero tolerance policy for drugs in horse racing similar to the policy embraced in most other countries where racing takes place.

However, I have little expectation that this will occur.

A zero tolerance policy would be the best possible outcome, but like you, I also see it as a nigh impossible goal. The tracks won't want to lose the big offenders, and neither will most others cashing in on the status quo. 

Dance With Gable

Baffert better watch out ... he's one of the most frequent druggers of all.

Islandgirl45

After seeing the video, my first thought was, poor Nehro. He must have been in excruciating pain, and still had to train and race. Hard to imagine.

Senator L

Watching the video I realized I better wake-up and smell the coffee.
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. If racing does
nothing to correct this, then I will have to move
On to another endeavor

peeptoad

Quote from: Senator L on March 23, 2014, 08:53:35 AM
Watching the video I realized I better wake-up and smell the coffee.
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. If racing does
nothing to correct this, then I will have to move
On to another endeavor

I kind of feel the same way except that having some previous, direct experience with PETA at a past job I am skeptical about some of the content in the video (or the manner in which the content was edited together). Most of the video, however, is pretty incriminating. Asmussen did fire Scott Blasi yesterday (I think), which was to be expected, but Asmussen himself needs to leave the industry imo. If I abandon horse racing it will be a gradual weaning process. I have been with this sport for the vast majority of my life and leaving it would not be an easy task.

I desperately hope that some collective group of people wakes up and gains the strength to put their feet down and say, this is enough. That's what's needed to change things and overhaul the sport. I firmly believe that horse racing can exist as a sport and project an image that gives some sort of reassurance and confidence to the general public that the horses are being treated in as humane a manner as possible. I work in an industry that is more heavily scrutinized by animal rights activists than horse racing. We are federally inspected several times each year  (among adhering to numerous other regulations) and, as an industry, we make it work because we (largely) care about the animals that are being utilized by people. Horse racing can do this... whether or not it will remains to be seen.

Senator L

If I abandon horse racing it will be a gradual weaning process. I have been with this sport for the vast majority of my life and leaving it would not be an easy task.

True Dat :chickendance:

I just feel that what kind of person am I if I support cheating and animal abuse?
Nothing is perfect, I understand that part, but if they do nothing to curb this than I'm
dumb just to continue supporting it. As for PETA, I'm sure they have an agenda but there
not boiling my blood. Its millionaire owners and trainers that don't pay min wage to back stretch workers. Its not doing more to help paralyzed jockeys. Knowing people who have lost their families, jobs and business gambling on horses. They never show those things on the
Derby telecast's. Maybe I'm just mad at myself :-\
But I don't why this has bothered me so much

Man o Taz

Another sad reality is the collateral damage situations like this have. One of the saddest realities is that there are connections out there who play by the book - and for doing so they lose out by winning less frequently - but their integrity remains in tact.

For some, it seems winning is truly not everything. They refuse to win the wrong way.

Catalina

Quote from: Senator L on March 23, 2014, 11:50:11 AM
If I abandon horse racing it will be a gradual weaning process. I have been with this sport for the vast majority of my life and leaving it would not be an easy task.

True Dat :chickendance:

I just feel that what kind of person am I if I support cheating and animal abuse?
Nothing is perfect, I understand that part, but if they do nothing to curb this than I'm
dumb just to continue supporting it. As for PETA, I'm sure they have an agenda but there
not boiling my blood. Its millionaire owners and trainers that don't pay min wage to back stretch workers. Its not doing more to help paralyzed jockeys. Knowing people who have lost their families, jobs and business gambling on horses. They never show those things on the
Derby telecast's. Maybe I'm just mad at myself :-\
But I don't why this has bothered me so much

Maybe because deep down we always had that vague suspicion and thought nah, surely not, some no-account minor players maybe, not the big boys that win the awards and the acclamation. 

Catalina

Came across this yesterday:  http://www.tbracingleague.com/

Print
User actions