The Usual Q. T. is gone ...

Started by The Tin Man, February 21, 2014, 07:36:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Tin Man

This is deeply saddening ... He was one of my very favorites ... such a beautiful, beautiful horse ... and so damn young ... heartbreaking ...  :'( :'( :'(

Per his Facebook page ... posted 6 hours ago ...

QuoteWe are very sad to announce that Multiple Grade 1 Stakes Winner, THE USUAL Q. T. has passed away at the age of eight. He brought so much joy to our lives. Melinda and I would like to thank Jim and Melanie Bassett Cassidy for providing the best care for him during his racing career and in his retirement. He was a tremendous race horse and he will live on in our hearts forever!

Senator L

Was a beautiful horse and a heckuva racer
RIP

peeptoad

He was my favorite CA  miler for most of his career... I even bet him in the BC Mile when he was an excellent 3rd a few years ago. Definitely a beautiful guy... I loved the way he carried his tail when running. This is really sad news. RIP QT.  :(

BTW, do you know how he died?

WarBiscuit

So sorry to hear this news. I started to follow him during his 2009 winning streak - and never stopped. A fine horse.

RIP The Usual Q.T....

WarBiscuit

Dusty

Very sad to hear and he was so young = any idea what happened?
May they run with the wind

Islandgirl45

Geez, only eight years old. :(  Was it colic? Or some long-standing illness?

Dance With Gable

If the cause isn't revealed by next weekend, I'll give my condolences to Jim(Cassidy) and inquire as to what took QT.

He's a really nice guy and I know him a little, so I'm sure he'd be forthcoming.

Also, as an update, I spoke with Ben(Cecil) in regards to Electric Eddie today and he said he's doing great and will likely leave for some R & R ranch time within the next couple of weeks. He said they have a ton of people who want to adopt him, so they'll be super picky and find him a great post-racing home.  :)

Ben said I can come see Eddie next weekend. I'll give an update and post some pics for those who may be interested.

BaroqueAgain1

Thanks, DWG. QT was such a handsome horse...thought he might have found a second career in the show ring.  :(
  If Electric Eddie is being put up for adoption, has he been gelded? He was a promising, good-looking colt...but I guess he just didn't get enough time to build a record that would warrant keeping him intact.

Dance With Gable

Quote from: BaroqueAgain1 on February 24, 2014, 11:14:31 AM
  Thanks, DWG. QT was such a handsome horse...thought he might have found a second career in the show ring.  :(
  If Electric Eddie is being put up for adoption, has he been gelded? He was a promising, good-looking colt...but I guess he just didn't get enough time to build a record that would warrant keeping him intact.

Hmmmm ... I don't know if he's been gelded ... but I'll find out. :)

Islandgirl45

Don't know if everyone saw today's article on Bloodhorse.com.

Calif. Millionaire The Usual Q. T. Euthanized
by Esther Marr
Date Posted: 2/27/2014

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/83577/calif-millionaire-the-usual-q-t-euthanized

The Usual Q.T.
Photo: Benoit Photo

Retired grade I-winning millionaire gelding The Usual Q. T. was euthanized the first week of February due to complications from an illness, trainer Jim Cassidy confirmed Feb. 27. The son of Unusual Heat—Lunge, by Western Fame, was 8.

According to Cassidy, The Usual Q. T. had suffered from a condition called peritonitis, which is an inflammation in the stomach lining.

"He got colic about a year ago and we got him through that and he was fine," Cassidy said. "Then, about three or four months ago, he got peritonitis. They worked on him for days at the hospital, then we brought him to the racetrack and worked on him there. He seemed to be fine for a couple weeks, but then he got really bad."

Cassidy said The Usual Q. T. underwent several treatments at West Coast Equine Hospital in Somis, Calif., but eventually the decision was made to euthanize him when his condition worsened ...

peeptoad

Thanks for that article; I hadn't seen it. Poor guy...

Man o Taz

Very sad to be taken so soon after retirement.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Print
User actions