Bayern ... Wow ...

Started by The Tin Man, February 13, 2014, 05:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Tin Man

If you haven't seen his race from today ... you need to!

He romped by 15 lengths today in a hand ride all the way ... Ultra-Impressive and very stylish win.

Viewing this race is highly recommended.  8)

Raven

I Love that horse!!!
call no man happy till he dies. ~SOLON~

peeptoad

Here's the chart:
http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pdf/SA021314USA7.pdf

I'll have to look for a replay... looks like he wired in a pretty nice time. Didn't beat much (not a real fan of Tap It Rich)

The Tin Man

Quote from: Raven on February 13, 2014, 05:38:07 PM
I Love that horse!!!

Man did he look great today!   :OMG:

Did you see the race yet?

I'm trying not to get caught up in the moment, but he may just be moving up from # 5 to # 3 on my SoCal list after this one ... Gonna sleep on it and see if I still feel like having him leapfrog California Chrome and Candy Boy tomorrow. 

The Tin Man

Quote from: peeptoad on February 13, 2014, 05:40:12 PM
Here's the chart:
http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pdf/SA021314USA7.pdf

I'll have to look for a replay... looks like he wired in a pretty nice time. Didn't beat much (not a real fan of Tap It Rich)

It's not so much WHO he beat today ... It's HOW he did it ...

Co to CalRacing.com ... That's where I viewed it. I'm curious as to whether others were as "wowed" by his race as I was.

As far as Tap It Rich? Man is he STILL super green! For him to still get 2nd, albeit 15 lengths back, with how much he was acting up was pretty impressive. If they can ever get him to behave, he just may end up being a pretty nice horse. I'm beginning to doubt he'll ever behave though.

Senator L

Made it look like he was running against donkeys :chickendance:

peeptoad

Quote from: The Tin Man on February 13, 2014, 05:46:44 PM
It's not so much WHO he beat today ... It's HOW he did it ...

Co to CalRacing.com ... That's where I viewed it. I'm curious as to whether others were as "wowed" by his race as I was.

As far as Tap It Rich? Man is he STILL super green! For him to still get 2nd, albeit 15 lengths back, with how much he was acting up was pretty impressive. If they can ever get him to behave, he just may end up being a pretty nice horse. I'm beginning to doubt he'll ever behave though.

Haven't seen it yet. I will definitely watch the replay when I get home tonight... just looking at the chart I can tell he ran impressively, but he still only beat 4 horses, only one of which is probably worth anything. It wouldn't be a surprise to see him win the Derby, or turn into a fine graded stakes animal since it seems completely wide open right now, but I am always skeptical of speedy types that beat short fields on speed-favoring surfaces early in their careers. I look forward to him actually being challenged in future races...  ;)

Catalina

Isn't Bayern one of the Kaleem Shah/Bob Baffert Derby hopefuls?

peeptoad

OK, so I just watched the replay. Yes, that was visually impressive. Bayern is definitely destined for bigger and better things. Two thoughts:

1. They almost walked the dog for the first quarter and the half split was on the slow side for this particular track. It's no wonder Bayern came home the way he did, but he did totally just outclass this tiny field. The plus side is that Bayern seemed relaxed on the lead and took mild pressure before drawing off. So, though the half mile time was not all that quick he appeared to do it easily, both physically and mentally.

2. Tap It Rich is still a nut job. He seems like a really difficult horse to ride and is his own worst enemy, though there was no chance in hell of beating Bayern yesterday.

Man o Taz

"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

peeptoad

Bayern is out of the San Felipe... he was by far the most likely winner imo. Maybe Candy Boy or Floyd now. I give Midnight Lute an outside chance maybe, but that scratch took the steam out of this field.

edit: for some reason I thought Candy Boy was entered here, but he's not... is he going straight to the SA Derby?

I'll probably go with some combination of Floyd, CA Chrome, and maybe one other. Need to look at this one more

Dance With Gable

Now my Top 3 Cali horses are likely off the Derby trail ...which now makes California Chrome my de facto number one.

He'd better be careful now.

Dance With Gable

Quote from: Dance With Gable on March 06, 2014, 05:45:05 PM
Now my Top 3 Cali horses are likely off the Derby trail ...which now makes California Chrome my de facto number one.

He'd better be careful now.

Well ... my last man standing looked damn good today. 2nd race in a row he romped in a handride.

As luck would have it, our friends own him too. So I'll get some winner's circle pics on in the next day or two.:)

Man o Taz

Don't forget about Tamarando and Candy Boy.

They may not be in the same rarified air as Shared Belief, Bond Holder, and Bayern but they still have a chance to at least make the gate and as we know - once there - anything can and sometimes does happen.

And look at Steve Haskin jumping him up to 1st on his list which I have linked on the Derby Dozen thread. 

"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

peeptoad

So, I expected to see Bayern among the Rebel entrants, but he was not entered... anyone know where he is headed?
I imagine straight to the SA Derby, though I will (potentially) have a lot less confidence in him on May 3 if that is the case.

Print
User actions