The Robert B. Lewis Stakes

Started by The Tin Man, February 05, 2014, 09:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Tin Man

What an exceedingly disappointing field. SO weak, in fact, that Midnight Hawk could actually win it.

No ... Indianapolis, Shared Belief or Bayern ... Makes it extremely weak IMO ...  :-\

This being said ... I'm picking Chitu    :rhrse:

Santa Anita Park - Saturday, February 8, 2014

Race 8 - 4:00 PM   

STAKES

Robert B. Lewis S. (Grade II)

Purse $200,000.  For Three-Year-Olds. By subscription of $100 each to accompany the nomination closed with 2. $3,000 additional to start, with $200,000 guaranteed. The winner to receive $120,000 PLUS 10 KENTUCKY DERBY POINTS, $40,000 to second, $24,000 to third, $12,000 to fourth and $4,000 to fifth. 123 Lbs. Non-winners of a Grade I or Grade II at One Mile or Over, allowed 3 Lbs. Non-winners of a Grade III race at One Mile or Over, allowed 5 Lbs. All Early Bird nominees to the 2013 Santa Anita Derby (Closing Date, Saturday, December 28, 2013) are automatically eligible to the Robert B. Lewis Stakes with all fees waived. A trophy will be presented to the winning owner. One And One Sixteenth Miles. 

PP Horse Virtual Stable A/S Med Jockey Wgt Trainer

1 Candy Boy (KY)   3/C L G L Stevens 118 J W Sadler
2 Diamond Bachelor (KY)   3/C  J R Leparoux 118 P L Biancone
3 Midnight Hawk (KY)   3/C L M E Smith 120 B Baffert
4 Home Run Kitten (KY)   3/C L J Talamo 118 D E Hofmans
5 Cool Samurai (KY)   3/G L C S Nakatani 118 J A Shirreffs
6 El Nino Terrible (KY)   3/C L E A Maldonado 118 P Miller
7 Chitu (KY)   3/C L M Garcia 118 B Baffert

The Tin Man

Since I focus my attention on SoCal ponies ... My top 5 Derby list is ...

Shared Belief
Indianapolis
California Chrome
Bayern
Chitu

I DO like Havana though ... and Cairo Prince a little bit.

peeptoad

Quote from: The Tin Man on February 05, 2014, 09:56:00 PM
Since I focus my attention on SoCal ponies ... My top 5 Derby list is ...

Shared Belief
Indianapolis
California Chrome
Bayern
Chitu

I DO like Havana though ... and Cairo Prince a little bit.

Do you know what the plan is for Indianapolis? My concern is that he is going in yet another sprint (San Vicente) next. Kennedy pointed out that Baffert might ship him to run in the Rebel-ARK Derby. That would give him 4 races prior to the Derby (if he goes)... an almost unheard of # of prep races these days.

Man o Taz

Agreed - it is an unheard of number of prep races for a three year old, but for a relatively green horse...I think Mr. Baffert knows what he is doing.

I think this many could help him when it comes to the Derby if he shows well in his next three races.

He seems to be moving very carefully with him - kind of following a similar path to The Factor. 
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

peeptoad

Probably not betting this one, but I would go:

Cool Samurai
Midnight Hawk
Candy Boy

Dance With Gable

Quote from: peeptoad on February 07, 2014, 12:01:25 PM
Probably not betting this one, but I would go:

Cool Samurai
Midnight Hawk
Candy Boy

If I bet this one, I'll be going against Midnight Hawk ... and if he beats me he beats me.

He has just left me unimpressed thus far ... and he looks too chunky to me. He's far from a stunner IMO.

Man o Taz

Candy Boy looking sharp for the Santa Anita Derby next. We'll see if Shared Belief can make to see these two renew their Hollywood Futurity competition.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Print
User actions