Baffert exonerated in racing deaths

Started by peeptoad, November 22, 2013, 04:33:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peeptoad

http://www.drf.com/news/baffert-exonerated-california-horse-racing-board-equine-deaths

The investigations apparently revealed nothing (and he is innocent until proven guilty), however I find the use of thyroxine in the horses odd at best. That increases metabolism, hence putting additional strain on the cardio-pulmonary system in an already stressed/athletic animal.
I have my own opinion, but I'll keep my mouth shut for now... since he is currently innocent.

Ballerina

Life is what happens to you when you're making other plans.

You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose.

Catalina

So do I.

The statement, quoted in Paulick Report, is actually from Dr. Rick Arthur, CHRB's equine medical director, and reads:

"The conclusion on a scientific basis would be that there is something different about Baffert, about the Hollywood Park main track and the barn, but we couldn't find anything," said Arthur. "It doesn't change the fact we don't have an answer. What it does do is say, 'There's something wrong here.'"

Dave in TJ Mex

Sure, its all just a massive coincidence. 

Catalina

Quote from: Dave in TJ Mex on November 24, 2013, 09:53:35 AM

Rick Arthur goes past calling it a coincidence.  His statement (very much to my surprise after CNRB's earlier stance) smacks a little of an acquittal - lacking proof of wrongdoing as opposed to declaring innocent.  Baffert, of course, in his subsequent statement claims innocence.

Dave in TJ Mex

Quote from: Catalina on November 24, 2013, 10:05:21 AM

Rick Arthur goes past calling it a coincidence.  His statement (very much to my surprise after CNRB's earlier stance) smacks a little of an acquittal - lacking proof of wrongdoing as opposed to declaring innocent.  Baffert, of course, in his subsequent statement claims innocence.

Yup, I don't buy that it is just a coincidence.

peeptoad

Quote from: Dave in TJ Mex on November 24, 2013, 03:10:51 PM

Me either.
I think Baffert (among other trainers) was trying to find something to give his horses an edge that was technically "legal".
So, the off-label use of thyroxine was basically to increase metabolism in all areas in order to get the horse to "run faster". All it did was cause a fatal cardiac episode, which can happen with hyperthyroidism, which was basically induced in these "normal" horses given medication for hypothyroidism.
So, that begs the question: why on earth would any decent, self-respecting veterinarian prescribe such a medication to an animal that didn't need it and would (in all likelihood) be harmed by its use? I know that none of the vets I work with would do that...

Dave in TJ Mex

Quote from: peeptoad on November 25, 2013, 09:34:03 AM
Quote from: Dave in TJ Mex on November 24, 2013, 03:10:51 PM

Me either.
I think Baffert (among other trainers) was trying to find something to give his horses an edge that was technically "legal".
So, the off-label use of thyroxine was basically to increase metabolism in all areas in order to get the horse to "run faster". All it did was cause a fatal cardiac episode, which can happen with hyperthyroidism, which was basically induced in these "normal" horses given medication for hypothyroidism.
So, that begs the question: why on earth would any decent, self-respecting veterinarian prescribe such a medication to an animal that didn't need it and would (in all likelihood) be harmed by its use? I know that none of the vets I work with would do that...

There have been any number of unethical vets working with unethical trainers for decades now.

Zenyatta

I'd like to know why any owner would take a horse to him with very expensive livestock if thyroxine is administered.

Wasn't Uncle Sam a Khaleem Shah horse? I know Baffert still trains for him. Baffling indeed. As an owner I wouldn't want the momentary competitive edge of, oh, winning a maiden race with my 250K Keeneland purchase only to see that horse drop dead on the track a race or two later of cardiac arrest.

Catalina

Quote from: Zenyatta on November 25, 2013, 11:33:59 PM
I'd like to know why any owner would take a horse to him with very expensive livestock if thyroxine is administered.

Wasn't Uncle Sam a Khaleem Shah horse? I know Baffert still trains for him. Baffling indeed. As an owner I wouldn't want the momentary competitive edge of, oh, winning a maiden race with my 250K Keeneland purchase only to see that horse drop dead on the track a race or two later of cardiac arrest.

The first three Baffert horses involved all were owned by Kaleem Shah, the 2 year old on 11-4-11, Irrefutable on 11-26-11, and Uncle Sam on 1-6-12. 

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-paddock/sudden-equine-fatalities-spike-in-california-baffert-barn/

The remaining four (chronologically later) Baffert trainees in this series had other owners.

Why did owners not start moving their horses to another trainer?  Looks like it's all about winning after all...

Print
User actions