HOTY- Justify vs. Accelerate vs. Monomoy Girl

Started by Man o Taz, November 13, 2018, 08:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Man o Taz

Well  , many thought Justify had sown up Horse of the Year with his Triple Crown win. Then he was retired without racing again.

Who would have thought after his 4 G1 win sophomore season zgere would be two other horses who surpassed that mark?

Accelerate won the Santa Anita Handicap, the Gold Cup, the Pacific Classic, the Awesome Again and the Breeders Cup Classic.

Monomoy Girl won a G1 Ashland, G1 Kentucky Oaks, G1 Acorn,  G1 Coaching Club American Oaks, 2nd by DQ in the G1 Cotillion and the G1 BC Distaff. A whisker away from 6 G1 wins.

Monomoy Girl may have actually faced the toughest schedule of all the horses up for HOTY.

Its a very tough call and that may end up benefiting Justify.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Senator L

I'd give it the filly. The only time she lost was by a dq and
her division was very strong. The two boys were underwhelming imo

stark

A couple of ASSumptions...

1)  The award is primarily for the owners.
2)  The award is not for the future Breeders, folks aren't that naive buying in that they'd pay more for breeding to a HOY.
3)  The award isn't really for the fans, they have no/little skin in the game.

So I have to put myself in the shoes of the owner and which one would I prefer to be during the racing year.

OR

Plus of handful of California trophies that I've been told in the past aren't the caliber of a Travers or other stakes east of the Rockies.

Not a doubt in my mind.......I'll take the Triple Crown Winner with relative ease as there will be another Accelerate in our future, not so sure we'll ever see another Justify!

curtis

What Accelerate and Monomoy Girl did are special. What Justify did, generational. I'll take Justify.

ElPrado

Justify here.
Accelerate did fine after the best of his age group went to stud.
Monomoy Girl is dodging the boys now after her owners couldn't scare off anyone with a threat to run against them.
It isn't Justify's fault he was retired. Coolmore grabbed him so fast after (probably before) the Belmont the track was scorched.

Print
User actions