Main Menu

Turallure gone

Started by TouchOfGrey, November 14, 2013, 07:34:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TouchOfGrey

As per tweet from Marty McGee (@DRFMcGee)

QuoteSad news this a.m. from #Kee: Turallure, earner of $1.3M, euthanized after breaking down during gallop. CLoPresti: "Like part of my family."

RIP

Catalina

Poor horse, and poor man.  After training for a very long time, he has lost his first horse to breakdown in August (Kris Royal), and now Turallure.

peeptoad

Oh no.  :( I really liked this guy... he won me a fair amount of money when he was on his game. RIP Turallure.

serenassong

How sad- very nice turf horse, may he R. I. P.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
Mythbusters

Ballerina

This is the 2nd horse lost this year for Mr. LoPresti and the 2nd horse overall that he's lost in his training career.  Kris Royal went down in a race at Saratoga in August.

So very sad.
Life is what happens to you when you're making other plans.

You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose.

Dave in TJ Mex

In one of the comments below the DRF story on this breakdown, a fan noted that the horse had purportedly been non-competitive in 8 of his last 9 races (the only exception being an optional allowance), and wondered out loud why the horse was still being run at his age.

Ballerina

Quote from: Dave in TJ Mex on November 14, 2013, 11:30:35 AM
In one of the comments below the DRF story on this breakdown, a fan noted that the horse had purportedly been non-competitive in 8 of his last 9 races (the only exception being an optional allowance), and wondered out loud why the horse was still being run at his age.

A gelding of 6 years?  Perhaps the qustion was rhetorical?  He was never what one would call a predictable horse - feast or famine.  I doubt Lo Presti would ever race an unsound horse.
Life is what happens to you when you're making other plans.

You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose.

Catalina

He was off for nine months, before returning to racing in April 2013.   In hindsight, maybe he shouldn't have been brought back.

RIP Turallure.

Zenyatta

Hindsight is 20/20. Poor horse, poor connections.  I really enjoyed Turallure and rooted for him every time he ran. Has to be something about the Irish name.

Dave in TJ Mex

Quote from: Ballerina on November 14, 2013, 12:03:02 PM

A gelding of 6 years?  Perhaps the qustion was rhetorical?  He was never what one would call a predictable horse - feast or famine.  I doubt Lo Presti would ever race an unsound horse.

Hi Ballerina.

I know nothing about the horse.  The person commenting on the DRF web site was not asking the question rhetorically.  He/she was arguing that by running poorly in 8 of 9 races, the horse was saying he didn't want to race any more, for whatever reason.

Man o Taz

Just plain sad.

Loved this horse. :pray:
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

BlindLucky

He was actually still a stallion. And I agree, I don't see Lopresti racing an unsound horse. He gave him time off last year for bone bruising, and maybe this year he wasn't as competitive at the top level as he used to be, but I bet they were going to retire him soon. I don't think they would have dropped him too far down the ranks.

It was just a terrible accident. And about the comment on DRF, it kills me how people complain that horses are run too young (Turallure didn't start until he was 3, by the way), that they run them too old (Turallure was only 6), or they retire them too young to stud (they kept Turallure in training through age 6). The argument is adjusted using hindsight to suit each particular situation.

Dave in TJ Mex

Quote from: BlindLucky on November 15, 2013, 09:32:06 AM

He was actually still a stallion. And I agree, I don't see Lopresti racing an unsound horse. He gave him time off last year for bone bruising, and maybe this year he wasn't as competitive at the top level as he used to be, but I bet they were going to retire him soon. I don't think they would have dropped him too far down the ranks.

It was just a terrible accident. And about the comment on DRF, it kills me how people complain that horses are run too young (Turallure didn't start until he was 3, by the way), that they run them too old (Turallure was only 6), or they retire them too young to stud (they kept Turallure in training through age 6). The argument is adjusted using hindsight to suit each particular situation.

The comment in the DRF wasn't addressing the horse's age so much, but instead, focused on the fact that by running so poorly in 8 of his last 9, he was "trying to tell his connections something," i.e., that he had lost interest in racing, or was hurting, and the connections ignored those "signals."

I agree with you that a lot of this is 20/20 hindsight.  After Barbaro's Preakness Stakes breakdown, there were a lot of folks on the Thoro-graph board commenting that there must have been soundness issues with the horse, given the long breaks Michael Matz had given him between races.  Some of those comments were made before Barbaro's breakdown (some Thoro-graph handicappers were highly skeptical about how well the horse would run on only two weeks rest after the Derby, given the long breaks he had between races during his racing career prior to that), but some of the comments there were 20/20 hindsight.

I guess what can truthfully be said about this horse is that (1) he had some physical problems before the caused some lengthy layoffs, (2) he was getting up there in age (for a top notch horse, few of whom are still racing late in their sixth year), and (3) his recent poor performances suggested he was well past his prime.

Print
User actions