Breeders Cup Observations...

Started by Zenyatta, November 03, 2013, 07:50:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zenyatta

Great weather both days:

Breeders' Cip Day 2

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/slideshows/slideshow/2013-breeders-cup-world-championships-day-2/2013-breeders-cup-world-championships--day-2

Breeders' Cup Day 1

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/slideshows/slideshow/2013-breeders-cup-world-championships-day-1/2013-breeders-cup-world-championships--day-1

While I couldn't complain about the weather,  the security was inconsistent.  What I'd posted about what you were allowed to bring through the gate was in contradiction to what happened at the front gate.  The end result? I left after 3 races, and didn't wager a penny, after at least 3 different security people all contradicted each other and one of my cohorts at the track had brought in items that he hadn't had confiscated but I did. 

While I understand the Boston Marathon bombing had something to do with the increased security, that's not my point; my point is that what the BC and SA indicate as contraband on their web sites agree with what happens to patrons at the gate. I don't, at this point, have any desire to attend the event again. I will happily watch it on TV and wager online if I must.

And was parking always $10? It seems to go up every year.

Zenyatta

The handle and attendance went up. I wonder what their marketing budget was, to bring that about?

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/the-biz/attendance-handle-both-increase-at-2013-breeders-cup/

The Tin Man

You kinda wagered 2 bucks ... ;)

And I enjoyed it a lot ..  but boy was it packed yesterday!!!!

I'm worn out, but back again for closing day at Clocker's Corner. But this time, now that all he hullabaloo. Is over, I'm gonna chiiilllll and take it easy all day. Well ... at least as much as I can ... you know me, I'm a madman at the track and never stay still. Except at Clocker's Corner ... I DO sit back and relax there.  :)

Zenyatta

58,000+ yesterday, which is on a par with the Zenyatta BC triumph year of 2009.

All of those people heard Kristin Chenoweth butcher "The Best Is Yet To Come." Ack,

Someone told me she was lip syncing, An off-key lip-sync??/?

Dave in TJ Mex

Quote from: Zenyatta on November 03, 2013, 08:30:20 AM
58,000+ yesterday, which is on a par with the Zenyatta BC triumph year of 2009.

All of those people heard Kristin Chenoweth butcher "The Best Is Yet To Come." Ack,

Someone told me she was lip syncing, An off-key lip-sync??/?

Well, almost nobody sings live at sporting events these days, but I don't know for a fact that Kristin Chenoweth lip-synched.  Its very rare.  Too many things can go wrong, technically.

I didn't really listen to her, but I find it difficult to believe a singer of her renown was off-key.

Dave in TJ Mex

Quote from: Zenyatta on November 03, 2013, 07:50:43 AM
Great weather both days:

Breeders' Cip Day 2

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/slideshows/slideshow/2013-breeders-cup-world-championships-day-2/2013-breeders-cup-world-championships--day-2

Breeders' Cup Day 1

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/slideshows/slideshow/2013-breeders-cup-world-championships-day-1/2013-breeders-cup-world-championships--day-1

While I couldn't complain about the weather,  the security was inconsistent.  What I'd posted about what you were allowed to bring through the gate was in contradiction to what happened at the front gate.  The end result? I left after 3 races, and didn't wager a penny, after at least 3 different security people all contradicted each other and one of my cohorts at the track had brought in items that he hadn't had confiscated but I did. 

While I understand the Boston Marathon bombing had something to do with the increased security, that's not my point; my point is that what the BC and SA indicate as contraband on their web sites agree with what happens to patrons at the gate. I don't, at this point, have any desire to attend the event again. I will happily watch it on TV and wager online if I must.

And was parking always $10? It seems to go up every year.

I'm sorry, Zenyatta, but . . . .

. . . so there was a disconnect between what was on the web site and the extra security they hired for the gate as to what could and could not be brought in.  It happens.  You lost two cans of diet Coke?  We live in a world where higher security for sporting events is now the norm, especially after the Boston Marathon.  Come to a sporting event, bring nothing but the essentials in your purse.  San Diego State basketball --- going back to last year --- allows only very small bags, just larger than a small purse, for men or women.

And you think parking was unfairly overpriced at $10?  That is actually lower --- and in some cases significantly lower --- than for most other professional sporting events.  Cheapest parking for regular season San Diego Chargers games is $25, and if you want to park much closer to the stadium entrance, it costs you up to $75.

Zenyatta

Thanks for the lecture , Dave. Going forward I will simply enjoy my favorite sport from the comfort of my own home. So I guess Royal Ascot is out because one can only imagine the security required to protect the queen.

According to some of the security people there were a lot of pissed off patrons because procedures were so much different than in previous years.

When I fly, it's something I have to do so I have gotten the security stuff down to a science; when I go to the track it's for my own enjoyment, so the BBC has lost my tiny bit of business. I'm no big time handicapper, I'm sure they won't care.

Dave in TJ Mex

Quote from: Zenyatta on November 03, 2013, 09:46:34 AM
Thanks for the lecture , Dave. Going forward I will simply enjoy my favorite sport from the comfort of my own home. So I guess Royal Ascot is out because one can only I bag Ine the security required to protect the queen.

According to some of the security people there were a lot of pissed off patrons because procedures were so much different than in previous years.

When I fly, it's something I have to do so I have gotten the security stuff down to a science; when I go to the track it's for my own enjoyment, so the BBC has lost my tiny bit of business. I'm no big time handicapper, I'm sure they won't care.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

You are welcome for the lecture!  :hug:

And sounds like they did goof up if they didn't adequately publicize their changes in security prior to the event.

But don't deprive yourself of the thrill of live horse racing for the rest of your life because of this one bad experience.

Just travel light when you go to the track.

You can still probably sneak diet coke into movie theatres!    :girlkiss:

Zenyatta

You know it's not just because of security that they don't like soft drinks brought in; they want a tidy concessions profit. I wouldn't begrudge them that if the lines on BC days for drinks weren't so long. But this is why I prefer to go with big strong men such as yourself, who are tasked with standing in line for me! :)

jjacks1

:banghead: Anyone looking for this guy?
Just another sh*tty day in Paradise

Dave in TJ Mex

Quote from: Zenyatta on November 03, 2013, 10:18:37 AM
You know it's not just because of security that they don't like soft drinks brought in; they want a tidy concessions profit. I wouldn't begrudge them that if the lines on BC days for drinks weren't so long. But this is why I prefer to go with big strong men such as yourself, who are tasked with standing in line for me! :)

I am not big and strong, but shorter and fatter, but I will stand in the hot dog and sodas line for you at Hollywood Park this December for our farewell trip there!

:racing:

Zenyatta

Quote from: jjacks1 on November 03, 2013, 10:24:36 AM
:banghead: Anyone looking for this guy?

Thank you SO much. I could have used that smiley a few times over the last week.  :banghead:

Vic in Chicago

Let's see.  Dave in TJ Mex, who could easily have gone to the BC but didn't, is lecturing Zenyatta that she shouldn't STOP going to the BC.

Okay...got it!    ??? 
Giant Oak - The Pride Of Chicago!

Dave in TJ Mex

Quote from: Vic in Chicago on November 03, 2013, 01:09:02 PM
Let's see.  Dave in TJ Mex, who could easily have gone to the BC but didn't, is lecturing Zenyatta that she shouldn't STOP going to the BC.

Okay...got it!    ???

Zenyatta is 10,000 times the horse racing fan as I am.  I'm tired of the horrific breakdowns and the drugging in the sport, and I don't go to the track anymore, and only marginally follow the sport other than at KY Derby time and BC time.

She even has her own chat board for the subject, and she lives 5 miles from Santa Anita! Its her passion.  She should indulge her passion, despite the obstacles presented by security checks and parking prices. 

Of course, she never asked for my opinion!  :racing:

Zenyatta

Quote from: Dave in TJ Mex on November 03, 2013, 03:27:15 PM
Quote from: Vic in Chicago on November 03, 2013, 01:09:02 PM

Okay...got it!    ???

Zenyatta is 10,000 times the horse racing fan as I am.  I'm tired of the horrific breakdowns and the drugging in the sport, and I don't go to the track anymore, and only marginally follow the sport other than at KY Derby time and BC time.

She even has her own chat board for the subject, and she lives 5 miles from Santa Anita! Its her passion.  She should indulge her passion, despite the obstacles presented by security checks and parking prices. 

Of course, she never asked for my opinion!  :racing:

You're right, I didn't, but that's what a forum is all about, right?   :mallet:

Print
User actions