Harlan's Holiday euthanized

Started by Flanders, November 01, 2013, 05:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Islandgirl45

Quote from: Dave in TJ Mex on November 02, 2013, 12:36:31 AM
Quote from: Islandgirl45 on November 01, 2013, 06:16:58 PM
Was there some sort of neurological damage that contributed to this? What would cause this kind of thing to happen?

So the horses flown to LA for the Breeders Cup from Europe and the east coast should have stayed home because the flight was too stressful?
Huh? Where in my comment did I suggest it had anything to do with flying?

I asked if there was some sort of underlying neurological damage that might have contributed to HH's demise.

Dave in TJ Mex

Quote from: Islandgirl45 on November 02, 2013, 08:09:04 AM
Was there some sort of neurological damage that contributed to this? What would cause this kind of thing to happen?

So the horses flown to LA for the Breeders Cup from Europe and the east coast should have stayed home because the flight was too stressful?

I asked if there was some sort of underlying neurological damage that might have contributed to HH's demise.

Oops, sorry, I was attempting to just quote Zenyatta's post blaming this horse's demise on "shuttling" (flying) to South America.

Dave in TJ Mex

Quote from: Zenyatta on November 02, 2013, 06:45:57 AM

Flying for one race is quite a bit different than flying then having to do likewise then service a hundred more mares than you ordinarily would if you only stood in one hemisphere. Let's see you do that and how you fare as a result.

So, it has nothing to do with the flying.  Its all about how many mares they service a year?

Blue Jeans

So sorry for Harlan's Holiday.

BTW, did they ever determine what caused the death of War Pass?  I still miss him.  Thankful that he didn't die on foreign soil.
A horse doesn't care how much you know, until he knows how much you care. ~Pat Parelli

Horse sense, n.: Stable thinking. ~Author Unknown

Flintknapper

Does anyone know the size of his Argentina book and how many he may have bred (southern hemisphere season started in September)? He bred 187 mares in America this year.
http://www.jockeyclub.com/mediaCenter.asp?story=663http://www.jockeyclub.com/mediaCenter.asp?story=663

All of the stuff I can find on rectal prolapse says it is a cause of either straining or trauma, or an underlying condition. None of them mention breeding as one of the strains. It seems to have more to do with straining during bowel movements, or conditions relating to the colon. Or, apparently, it just happens.

But maybe someone with more veterinary experience can speak more accurately on this topic.

jjacks1

Quote from: Dave in TJ Mex on November 02, 2013, 08:12:04 AM
Quote from: Islandgirl45 on November 02, 2013, 08:09:04 AM

Oops, sorry, I was attempting to just quote Zenyatta's post blaming this horse's demise on "shuttling" (flying) to South America.

I blamed the shuttling too. I am not a vet but it seems to be very stressful for them. Who was it that torsioned right before they were shuttled this year? I've heard trainers say that it's stressful to ship so it makes me wonder if the added stress may have aggravated something. I'm not saying no one should ship horses. But animals of all types, especially when they get older (HH was 14), are much more sensitive to changes in routine.
Just another sh*tty day in Paradise

Print
User actions