Harlan's Holiday euthanized

Started by Flanders, November 01, 2013, 05:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zenyatta

How sad. He had become a good stamina sire, very underrated. :(

Zenyatta

Maybe if they left these stallions alone instead of shuttling them all over the place they'd stay healthier longer.

Islandgirl45

Was there some sort of neurological damage that contributed to this? What would cause this kind of thing to happen?

Flintknapper

:'(  He was one of my favorite sires.

ElPrado

Straining too much while getting up on the mare, or while actually breeding her.

serenassong

Don't understand why they had to go into so much detail- simply could have said that he collapsed after servicing a mare.  Sorry that he had to suffer that pain in his final moments, R. I. P.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
Mythbusters

Zenyatta

Quote from: serenassong on November 01, 2013, 07:20:20 PM
Don't understand why they had to go into so much detail- simply could have said that he collapsed after servicing a mare.  Sorry that he had to suffer that pain in his final moments, R. I. P.

No kidding. Not sure what the point was of that.

I wish one of our former board members from the other board could answer this question (they worked for Winstar), but in the past I don't recall them doing a lot of shuttling.  And shuttling from the US to South America is a little unusual for a higher-priced stallion, isn't it?

Flintknapper

I expect the detail was to stem a predictable flow of questions from fans and investors.

jjacks1

This is just HORRIBLE news. He was one of my favorites. And to die so horribly and so far from home. WHY did they have to shuttle him?  :'( :'( :'(

I have added a memorial photo album of him here:
http://thoroughbredracingfans.com/forum/index.php?topic=107.0

Pics from his racing days through his stud career.
If anyone has other pictures, PLEASE post them. It would mean a lot to me. Thank you.  :'(
Just another sh*tty day in Paradise

Dave in TJ Mex

Quote from: Flintknapper on November 01, 2013, 07:40:28 PM
I expect the detail was to stem a predictable flow of questions from fans and investors.

Nothing wrong with the farm's candor.  I applaud it.

Too much "spinning" in horse racing to begin with.

Dave in TJ Mex

Quote from: Islandgirl45 on November 01, 2013, 06:16:58 PM
Was there some sort of neurological damage that contributed to this? What would cause this kind of thing to happen?

So the horses flown to LA for the Breeders Cup from Europe and the east coast should have stayed home because the flight was too stressful?

ElPrado

I wish one of our former board members from the other board could answer this question (they worked for Winstar), but in the past I don't recall them doing a lot of shuttling.  And shuttling from the US to South America is a little unusual for a higher-priced stallion, isn't it?
[/quote]

The trend is to shuttle more stallions, high priced or not. Chase the almighty dollar signs as far as they can. Most of the big farms are shuttling now. If you want your stallion to stay home, I think you have to stand him at Claiborne.

Zenyatta

Quote from: Dave in TJ Mex on November 02, 2013, 12:36:31 AM
Quote from: Islandgirl45 on November 01, 2013, 06:16:58 PM

So the horses flown to LA for the Breeders Cup from Europe and the east coast should have stayed home because the flight was too stressful?

Flying for one race is quite a bit different than flying then having to do likewise then service a hundred more mares than you ordinarily would if you only stood in one hemisphere. Let's see you do that and how you fare as a result.

Print
User actions