Main Menu

Chuck Borell

Started by afleetphil, June 29, 2016, 03:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

afleetphil

Talk about a piece of crap. 43 horses under his care taking from him in Kentucky. He was charged today for neglecting the horses . What kind of human being would do something like this. This idiot should be forever banned from having and racing horses. Your thoughts.

Flanders

His arrogance level is amazing.  He went there today to take the horses that were still at the farm but the authorities had locked the gate because HE TOLD THEM he was going to get them.

The Jockey Club doesn't take kindly to stuff like this.  They handed down lifetime bans to people in the past and that is what I think will happen here.  Of course they shouldn't be allowed to have horses, or any animals, but you and I both know they will get more because people like this always do.

ElPrado

People like him don't believe there is such a thing as cruelty to animals. They just do anything they want. He'll be yelling that he did nothing wrong as they tell him the lovely fine he's going to pay... and hopefully lock him up. And his daughter will try to bat her eyes and get away with everything. I hope it goes to a woman judge.

REGRET

I agree with you guys - and I pray neither one of them is ever allowed to own ANY animal - ever ever ever.

Flanders

Fox Hill Farm posted this on Facebook, ugh I don't even want to think about the possibility of these horses going back to those people.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1085189428195295&id=149399288440985

"The Borell Horses: Going Forward

The Borell horse situation shined a light on the best and the worst of the racing industry. The worst were the owners who abandoned horses, leaving them without the resources for proper food, veterinary, and farrier care, resulting in over forty abused horses. The best was the response of the racing community. The donations and offers for care were overwhelming..
It appears that the Borell horses are on the path to good health. Less certain is that they will ultimately go to new and loving homes. What could prevent this from happening are the current laws in Kentucky regarding animal welfare.

Sheriff Kelty told us the story of another recent case of equine abuse. Of the three horses in this case, one was dead and two had to be picked up to be taken away. They were too weak to stand.
The owner of the horses was prosecuted and quickly found guilty. She was sentenced to a jail term. Upon her release, she called the sheriff demanding the return of the two surviving horses.
Sheriff Kelty's response was "over my dead body," yet a short time later he was ordered to return the horses. The woman who was convicted of animal cruelty was actually allowed the return of the horses that she had so cruelly abused.

Unfortunately, there are other similar stories which demonstrate that the laws in Kentucky don't adequately protect our horses. From our initial inquiries, it appears that the possibility exists that the Borells may not lose ownership rights to some of these horses.

We believe the way we can be most useful going forward is to work to ensure that the Borells and others who abuse animals are not allowed to retain or regain possession of the animals they abused. We also want to see officials be able to act more swiftly in cases of abuse.

To this end, we have hired Lexington attorney John Roach. We will work to see that the Borells don't victimize these horses again. We will work to strengthen Kentucky's laws to protect defenseless animals. We also plan to look within the industry to areas such as licensing and registration that could provide solutions. We may decide to set this up as a nonprofit as this could be an ongoing effort indefinitely.

We thank everyone who stepped up and played a part in the Borell horses being properly cared for. You made us proud to be part of the racing community."

BaroqueAgain1

I believe what complicates an animal abuse case is that horses...or dogs, cats, cows, whatever...are considered property. Even a criminal can regain his/her property, once that person has paid the fines or served the time.
   If the horses had been children, there would have been no delay in removing them and placing them in a safe situation. I'm fairly sure that the courts are far more reluctant to let anyone who has abused a child have custody again...and the law backs them up.
   As Fox Hill points out, the laws regarding animal abuse need to change. Living creatures need to have different legal standing than inanimate objects, with more protection from future abuse by their former owners.

Diver52

The laws vary.  On "Animal Cops Houston" the judge is always taking horses away from abusive owners.   :).  And agreeing not to have animals can be made a condition for avoiding jail, or for a shorter sentence.

Flanders

They are trying to find the owners of the 43 abandoned horses.  They have identified them as best they can:
http://www.kyagr.com/statevet/strayhorse/

Print
User actions