Too Much Of A Good Thing?

Started by stark, June 26, 2016, 06:37:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stark

June/July racing at Santa Anita.

I doubt the region would fold up if the industry were to shut down for a month but cards like today are tough to wager on.

What say you?

Dusty

Pretty abysmal card but I am on cloud 9 = Race 8 McCann's Mojave handicap - Soi Phet the old gut dusted em!

Okay back to topic - yes these fields are unimpressive
May they run with the wind

Zenyatta

Having this meet extend into July is inane. As we saw last weekend, it's too doggone hot. Why not run some of these races at LosAl?

BaroqueAgain1

Because Stronach...I mean Santa Anita...doesn't make any money off races run at Los Al?  ::)

Zenyatta

Quote from: BaroqueAgain1 on June 26, 2016, 09:29:52 PM
Because Stronach...I mean Santa Anita...doesn't make any money off races run at Los Al?  ::)

He may exert a lot of influence, but he doesn't own the CHRB. The microclimates of Los AL and Del Mar are so much more favorable to summer racing.Bo Derek needs to tell him to stick it where the sun don't shine and assign dates after June 1st to Los Alamitos.

I understand the prestige factor weighs into this, but the welfare of the horse should be #1 priority.

stark

Quote from: Dusty on June 26, 2016, 06:57:08 PM
Pretty abysmal card but I am on cloud 9 = Race 8 McCann's Mojave handicap - Soi Phet the old gut dusted em!

Dusty

Quote from: stark on June 27, 2016, 09:37:16 AM

OMG - THanks for this picture! I have been a fan for years!
May they run with the wind

Flanders

Quote from: Zenyatta on June 26, 2016, 09:23:58 PM
Having this meet extend into July is inane. As we saw last weekend, it's too doggone hot. Why not run some of these races at LosAl?
When dates came out last year, Los Alamitos requested April dates.  So the CHRB gave them April dates, however they lost July because of it.  Los Alamitos was thinking about stopping Thoroughbred racing completely.

Some articles from last year:
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/105516/chrb-approves-2016-california-race-dates
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/mar/18/horse-racing-los-alamitos-allred/

curtis

Quote from: Zenyatta on June 26, 2016, 10:15:37 PM
He may exert a lot of influence, but he doesn't own the CHRB. The microclimates of Los AL and Del Mar are so much more favorable to summer racing.Bo Derek needs to tell him to stick it where the sun don't shine and assign dates after June 1st to Los Alamitos.

I understand the prestige factor weighs into this, but the welfare of the horse should be #1 priority.
Do you complain about Pleasanton as well because I would say the average temp there is at least as warm if nor warmer than Arcadia.  I went to the P-Town fair a few years back, before a week of business in San Francisco, and the temperature went from 104 at the fair to 52 in that city by a body of water--in the same day.  Del Mar can't start any earlier than they already do because of the SD County Fair.  Los Alamitos is always going to be limited because they don't have a turf course, although they did seem to pull off the impossible by creating a one-mile bullring.

Santa Anita is operating with an approximation of Hollywood Park's purse structure and right now, temporarily, has no turf course.  If there is a race in the book for your horse at Del Mar you might as well wait and run for more money.  In context, as Joe Harper's dollar doesn't go as far as it used to.  If Ms.10 and her cohorts wanted to come up with a plan, they could have Team Stronach lease Santa Rosa during June--while leaving Santa Anita dark--since Golden Gate is being overused.  He can combine the Golden Gate and Santa Anita resources and write races for both types of horses and use a nice, underused turf course.  He can call it the More Wine, Less Whine Meet.  The cheese is on me.  The Oak Tree/P-Town meet can run for a month during the fall. 

Print
User actions