OK, everyone... I'm in love

Started by ElPrado, June 18, 2016, 08:08:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElPrado

I found a colt.
He even has the right name. I'm a WWII nut.
Churchill. 2 year old, by Galileo out of Meow (IRE) by Storm Cat. Now, if I could just remember my NagMe password.

BaroqueAgain1

If you're a science nerd, you could also add Sir Isaac Newton, another Galileo colt. Also ridden by Ryan Moore and trained by Aiden O'Brien.
Really, they could rename this meet Galileo's Ascot.  ;D

ElPrado

Oh, don't worry. I have him on Nagme. :oie_30232359NUVsTmH4:

ElPrado

I also have several that couldn't get out of the way  of a Galapagos tortoise on a slow morning on NagMe.

Diver52

Am I the only one who thinks that it's a little disrespectful to name a horse after somone really revered?  Galileo is okay, but Churchill makes me squirm a bit.  And George Washington. . .now, no one minds if you name an English bulldog Winston; but the horse Churchill bothers me.  And naming a horse John F. Kennedy. . .nope for me. 

stark

Quote from: Diver52 on July 13, 2016, 04:31:44 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that it's a little disrespectful to name a horse after somone really revered?  Galileo is okay, but Churchill makes me squirm a bit.  And George Washington. . .now, no one minds if you name an English bulldog Winston; but the horse Churchill bothers me.  And naming a horse John F. Kennedy. . .nope for me.

Every once in awhile we get a filly that is well known for her big backside, maybe Pegram will get one and name it Kardashian!

BaroqueAgain1

When it comes to renowned historical figures, I think that the breeders and owners of well-bred youngsters feel that it's a sign of respect to name their horse after someone. That beautiful colt carries their hopes that he could be another Galileo or Frankel.

Flanders

Quote from: Diver52 on July 13, 2016, 04:31:44 PM
"5. The name of a public person, without that person's or their family's permission, or in the opinion of the British Horseracing Authority,
names of commercial significance without the appropriate permission" (from Wetherby's naming rules)

Does Coolmore have a person whose only job is to just contact families to try and use a famous person's name?  It seems like a lot of hassle to name a horse.  Does this mean they contacted whomever owns the rights to Gone With The Wind to ask if they could use the Rhett Butler name a few years back?

Churchill doesn't bother me, it could be the name of a town.
I think its weird to name a horse the full given name of someone, like John F. Kennedy, George Washington, Sir Isaac Newton or Winston Churchill(there was one in Ireland in 2006).

ElPrado

So, we are into WWII this year at Coolmore. Another 2 year old with a name associated with WWII. How do you get past Churchill?
Toss  Douglas McArthur into the pot.
I think I'll be expecting Delano next.

BaroqueAgain1

I sort of caught that race on TVG, EP, and if I heard correctly, there was a horse named World War in the same race as DM.
   There does seem to be a theme.

Print
User actions