2016 Breeders Cup Classic

Started by Man o Taz, September 20, 2016, 08:33:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stark

Santa Anita Handicap winner Melatonin worked five furlongs Wednesday morning in 1:02 as he prepares for the $6 million Breeders' Cup Classic at Santa Anita Nov. 5. His fractional times were 23.80, 37 flat and 50 flat.

"He did it nice and easy," trainer David Hofmans said. "We're pointing to the Breeders' Cup Classic. He seems to like the track. It's in very good condition.

"We backed off training over the main track at Del Mar, and although we jogged him and galloped him on the training track, I lost enough time where I couldn't make the Awesome Again. He likes time between his races but this is a lot of time and the Awesome Again is a tough spot."

Melatonin last raced on June 25, winning the Grade I Gold Cup at Santa Anita earning a fees paid berth to the Classic valued at $150,000.

CA_Chrome

Less than two weeks until the Awesome Again and still Chrome is the only certain entrant. Dortmund is listed as possible.

stark

Quote from: CA_Chrome on September 22, 2016, 07:55:00 PM
Less than two weeks until the Awesome Again and still Chrome is the only certain entrant. Dortmund is listed as possible.

Dortmund appears to be getting plenty ready for something!

Santa Anita   9/19/2016   Dirt   5F   59.80   Handily   4/52
Santa Anita   9/12/2016   Dirt   5F   59.20   Handily   2/41
Del Mar......   9/05/2016   Dirt   5F   58.80   Handily   1/27

CA_Chrome

Thing about Dortmund is that he always works fast at shorter distances. Doesn't necessarily translate into a win in the afternoon. Baffert's general training approach seems to be to work his horses fast. The key is not how fast they go, but how they go. I haven't had the benefit of seeing any videos of Dortmund's works, so have no idea how he goes. (I have trouble believing there won't be more than two entries in the Awesome Again, but so far only Chrome and Dortmund are listed for it.)

Dortmund's work tab since June:

06/28/2016    LA    5F    :59.80    Dirt    Fast    H    
07/05/2016    SA    6F    1:11.20    Dirt    Fast    H    
07/10/2016    SA    6F    1:13.20    Dirt    Fast    H    G
07/17/2016    DMR    6F    1:12.00    Dirt    Fast    H    
08/01/2016    DMR    4F    :48.00    Dirt    Fast    H    
08/07/2016    DMR    5F    :59.20    Dirt    Fast    H    
08/14/2016    DMR    7F    1:24.60    Dirt    Fast    H    
09/05/2016    DMR    5F    :58.80    Dirt    Fast    H    
09/12/2016    SA    5F    :59.20    Dirt    Fast    H    
09/19/2016    SA    5F    :59.80    Dirt    Fast    H    

Edited to say I've found a video of Dortmund's last work: http://www.xbtv.com/video/workout/dortmund-59-80-and-hoppertunity-100-00-work-5-furlongs-at-santa-anita-park-on-september-19th-2016/. Viewers can decided for themselves about how Dortmund worked.

Man o Taz

Quote from: curtis on September 22, 2016, 03:26:33 PM
Bradester is actually on the Dirt Mile list, he's listed at 8-1.  As Stark has alluded, the owners may want to take a chance in the Classic.  It doesn't sound as if they have necessarily been pointing towards the Dirt Mile all year.

I think Exaggerator is where he should be at 12-1.  There will be plenty of speed to set up his run but he may not get the right trip as he may have to go pretty wide in a big field.  Also, the speed won't drop away as readily as it has in those restricted races, especially those he's been winning in the slop.

Maybe things change. This summer he was when I spoke to him. 
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Man o Taz

Quote from: Man o Taz on September 20, 2016, 08:33:23 AM
Potential field:

American Freedom?
Arrogate
Beholder
California Chrome
Comfort
Dortmund
Effinex
Exaggerator
Frosted
Gun Runner
Hoppertunity
Melatonin
Mubtaahij
Nyquist
Samraat
Shaman Ghost

Wouldn't it  be great if the BC Classic for once had an also eligible list...just a thought...

If Mubtaahij wins the JCGC, does Frosted get entered in the Dirt Mile? I hope not.

I would hope after their last performance that Exaggerator is scratched from the BC Classic. He had no excuses and seemed to be training well up to the race and had nothing. It may be best if you want to race him again this year point him to the Clark and let him train at Churchill until then.

If Nyquist gets back on a normal training routine with 4-6 furlong works I think he is still an option for Breeders Cup Classic if he looks like he is training well up to it.

American Freedom may be skipping the Classic since he has yet to have a post-Travers work. Maybe he is being pointed to the Clark.

Does Connect with his win in the PA Derby get pointed to the Classic?

Gun Runner does not look like he wants the added distance.

So, other than Arrogate, there may not be another competitive 3 year old unless Connect enters.
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

peeptoad

I believe Gun Runner is going to the Dirt Mile, not the Classic. Think I read that post-PA Derby somewhere.

stark

Arrogate, half in 48.40 on Baffert watch. Out in 5f in 1:01.40 BREEZING

Senator L

WOW - runs so fast he's blurry  :chickendance:

curtis

Quote from: Man o Taz on September 27, 2016, 09:17:14 AM
I would hope after their last performance that Exaggerator is scratched from the BC Classic. He had no excuses and seemed to be training well up to the race and had nothing. It may be best if you want to race him again this year point him to the Clark and let him train at Churchill until then.

If Nyquist gets back on a normal training routine with 4-6 furlong works I think he is still an option for Breeders Cup Classic if he looks like he is training well up to it.

American Freedom may be skipping the Classic since he has yet to have a post-Travers work. Maybe he is being pointed to the Clark.

Does Connect with his win in the PA Derby get pointed to the Classic?

Gun Runner does not look like he wants the added distance.

So, other than Arrogate, there may not be another competitive 3 year old unless Connect enters.
I'd actually point Exaggerator to the Cigar Mile and train him up to it.  I think he could really be effective at a one-turn mile and since I don't think you'll see him next year, it may be the best way to go out with a win.

I don't know what the big picture is with Nyquist.  If they are planning on running him next year, the only BC race that makes sense to me at this point is the Dirt Mile.  If he could win or be competitive, it would give them something on which to build.  I would suppose he'll end up going in Frankie's Fabulous Mega Million since he's somewhat proven over the track.  If he's not up to it, maybe a match race on the undercard against Toews On Ice with Eddie Olczyk calling the race. ;)

CA_Chrome

Quote from: Senator L on September 27, 2016, 01:10:03 PM
WOW - runs so fast he's blurry  :chickendance:

Something about that photo makes the colt look awkward. Whether it's the fact that it is out-of-focus, or it's the angle, or the shadows, or his low-headed way of going, but the photo isn't flattering to him. I'm sure it's only the photo, though, since most Thoroughbreds to me range from attractive to gorgeous in looks.

Senator L

I think that photo is also low res which doesn't help  :chickendance:

curtis

It's also a 3/4 view which creates distortion.  Scroll back to some of those photos the Bring Chrome Home loonies were posting when he was in England and this photo looks pretty good. ;)

stark

Fixed

stark

Trainer Keith Desormeaux said Santa Anita Derby and Preakness winner Exaggerator was "regrouping at Churchill Downs" after his disappointing seventh-place finish in the Pennsylvania Derby last Saturday. "We'll make a decision on his future after next week."

Print
User actions