What will happen to Native Diver?

Started by Zenyatta, December 07, 2013, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zenyatta

I think the TBRF folks descending on the track for the futurity next weekend should come with shovels in hand to exhume the body of this wonderful racehorse. He doesn't deserve to be plowed under like the rest of the track.

Does anyone have an idea of what will happen to him? One would hope for relocation to SA, but I don't know if there are any plans to do this.

The Tin Man

Or Landaluce, Great Communicator and Gay Dalton.

Don't want them bulldozed over either.

Zenyatta

Quote from: The Tin Man on December 07, 2013, 09:28:48 AM
Or Landaluce, Great Communicator and Gay Dalton.

Don't want them bulldozed over either.

Someone should do something to get these horses' remains moved to SA. I couldn't remember Gay Dalton's name and didn't know the other two were buried there, but if anyone would want Landaluce honored, it's D Wayne,  who will be in town next weekend if he runs Strong Mandate in the Futurity.

curtis

Quote from: Zenyatta on December 07, 2013, 03:13:39 PM
Someone should do something to get these horses' remains moved to SA. I couldn't remember Gay Dalton's name and didn't know the other two were buried there, but if anyone would want Landaluce honored, it's D Wayne,  who will be in town next weekend if he runs Strong Mandate in the Futurity.
I had heard that Naive Diver's remains would go to Del Mar.  I'm hoping the memorial--designed by famed California watercolorist Millard Sheets--will be saved and go as well.  I have a friend who is the director of media at Del Mar.  I will try to remember to ask him soon.

Dave in TJ Mex

Quote from: Zenyatta on December 07, 2013, 09:10:06 AM
I think the TBRF folks descending on the track for the futurity next weekend should come with shovels in hand to exhume the body of this wonderful racehorse. He doesn't deserve to be plowed under like the rest of the track.

Does anyone have an idea of what will happen to him? One would hope for relocation to SA, but I don't know if there are any plans to do this.

Have room in your living room for a memorial statute or two?

Zenyatta

Quote from: Dave in TJ Mex on December 07, 2013, 06:48:34 PM
Have room in your living room for a memorial statute or two?

Native Diver had a memorial statute? That should take up no room at all!

The Tin Man

Yup ... Gay Dalton was known as "The Mexican Man O' War" back in his day.   :rhrse:

George Woolf even rode him ...

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2206&dat=19450629&id=2CsyAAAAIBAJ&sjid=w-cFAAAAIBAJ&pg=3916,3209941

Blue Jeans

Gay Dalton (1940)  NM bred

>Named after two of the owner's friends - Gaylord Burt and Dalton Denton, who had purchased the horse for Capt. O'Hay for $800.<

http://www.pedigreequery.com/gay+dalton
A horse doesn't care how much you know, until he knows how much you care. ~Pat Parelli

Horse sense, n.: Stable thinking. ~Author Unknown

Bookman

Someone should do something to get these horses' remains moved to SA...............

Not pointing fingers, but it's always "someone" should do it.  It reminds me of a structure in town that was to be demolished.  There were organized marches with signs protesting the demolition of this ramshackle building.
The trouble was, at least a score of those wanting to save the building could have done it personally, but they wanted someone else to do (and pay for it).  The building got the wrecking ball.

If those who want to save the remains of horses want it done, they should get together and see what can be done, and figure if it can be financed.   As it stands, the owners of the HP facility have every legal right to build over the remains.  Unless something is done, they will end up like Omaha, just a memory.

Old Friends', I believe has started a cemetery for Hall of Famers, but eventually what will happen to them?  They have had financial issues in the bast that needed emergency funding.

Landaluce, Great Communicator and Gay Dalton were famous horses, but not in the Hall of Fame.  What is the long term of Santa Anita?  Who knows what will happen when Stronach dies. Statistically he has exceeded his expected lifespan, so that is a real factor.  Will his heirs want to continue his racing enterprises?

Zenyatta

Quote from: Bookman on December 08, 2013, 12:59:03 PM
Not pointing fingers, but it's always "someone" should do it.  It reminds me of a structure in town that was to be demolished.  There were organized marches with signs protesting the demolition of this ramshackle building.
The trouble was, at least a score of those wanting to save the building could have done it personally, but they wanted someone else to do (and pay for it).  The building got the wrecking ball.

If those who want to save the remains of horses want it done, they should get together and see what can be done, and figure if it can be financed.   As it stands, the owners of the HP facility have every legal right to build over the remains.  Unless something is done, they will end up like Omaha, just a memory.

Old Friends', I believe has started a cemetery for Hall of Famers, but eventually what will happen to them?  They have had financial issues in the bast that needed emergency funding.

Landaluce, Great Communicator and Gay Dalton were famous horses, but not in the Hall of Fame.  What is the long term of Santa Anita?  Who knows what will happen when Stronach dies. Statistically he has exceeded his expected lifespan, so that is a real factor.  Will his heirs want to continue his racing enterprises?

Good points. I have no influence over what happens, other than to voice my opinion. So, the hell with Native Diver and all the rest of 'em.

Dusty

There are a number of organizations "coordinating" the so called dispersal of Hollywood Park - I regret to say that there is much disagreement at present and no definitve plan....

FOLKS GET OUT THERE - SEE the history for yourself before it is gone.
May they run with the wind

Dusty

Quote from: The Tin Man on December 10, 2013, 12:10:51 PM
Taz is coming out this week from New York. They'll be freelancing on Thursday and Friday and I'm gonna hook up with themon the weekend. Very cool!

I will be there Saturday - how can I find you?
May they run with the wind

The Tin Man

Quote from: Dusty on December 10, 2013, 06:40:55 PM
I will be there Saturday - how can I find you?

I'll PM you my phone number ... Call or text me and we'll track each other down.   :)

Bookman

Read on the DMTC forum, which unfortunately will also close for good on 12/22/13

http://www.drf.com/news/hollywood-park-makes-plans-auction-moving-horse-graves

Quote...............and that arrangements have been made to move the graves of the prominent racehorses Landaluce and Native Diver who are buried on the property. The remains of Great Communicator, the 1988 Breeders' Cup Turf winner, also will be relocated, but a site has not been determined.

QuoteThe graves of Native Diver, winner of three consecutive Hollywood Gold Cups from 1965-67, and Landaluce, the champion 2-year-old filly of 1982, will be relocated. Native Diver will be moved to Del Mar, while the remains of Landaluce will be moved to Spendthrift Farm in Kentucky.

serenassong

Well, at least they are going to be moved, not just paved over.  Kudos for those agreeing to take them.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
Mythbusters

Print
User actions