Vox Populi Awards

Started by stark, November 23, 2016, 09:56:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stark

This year's nominees are: Beholder, the three-time Eclipse Award winning racemare whose brilliant performances earned more than $1.7 million and included a breathtaking win in the Breeders' Cup Distaff; California Chrome, the recipient of the 2014 Vox Populi Award whose celebrated comeback was highlighted by five wins including the Dubai World Cup, vaulting him to racing's all-time leading earner; Songbird, the sensational 3-year-old filly who earned $2.2 million in her coast-to-coast campaign and finished just a nose shy of an undefeated season after a Breeders' Cup Distaff stretch dual for the ages; and Tepin, the Kentucky-bred 5-year-old bay mare who has been an international darling, blazing turf courses on two continents and amassing almost $1.5 million in earnings with five wins in seven starts.

Fans can vote at http://secretariat.com

afleetphil

I'll go with Songbird.

Dusty

Gotta go with CHROME!
May they run with the wind

honneerider

Thinking Lady Eli should be there, as similar to Paynter overcoming that adversity to shine again.

afleetphil

I'm changing my vote to Lady Eli. What a heart warming story.

Man o Taz

Lady Eli.

I know its the popularity contest award, but I think it should really be to honor horses not traditionally honored.

Beholder, Chrome and Songbird will each win Eclipse awards.

"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Catalina

On the other hand, it's not the "overcame laminitis and returned to previous form" award either.

Man o Taz

Not that there is anything wrong with that... ;)
"And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath upon it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse" - old Bedouin saying.

Catalina

Quote from: Man o Taz on November 29, 2016, 06:16:11 AM
Not that there is anything wrong with that... ;)

There isn't, of course.  Curiosity's sake, what ARE the selection criteria?  Something that attracts more fans to the sport?

stark

Quote from: Catalina on November 29, 2016, 04:56:21 PM
There isn't, of course.  Curiosity's sake, what ARE the selection criteria?  Something that attracts more fans to the sport?

It's whatever Penny Chennery wants it to be and it can change from year to year, or as some might suggest.....it's rigged.

Zenyatta

I voted for Chrome because he's created a big fan base and has raced for several years at the top level. Granted, the same can be said for Beholder, but in terms of fans, interest and $$, Chrome's got everyone's beat.

In terms of popularity, he's this decade's Zenyatta, with personality and copper penny looks to boot.

Man o Taz

Not a bad choice among them. I'll stick with Lady Eli. A dark horse..

:)

stark

Quote from: stark on November 29, 2016, 05:50:08 PM
It's whatever Penny Chennery wants it to be and it can change from year to year, or as some might suggest.....it's rigged.

I don't want to hyjack this thread and make it political, but there's a similar poll going on right now for the TIME magazine person of the year.  The results are in, the people have voted.
Voters in the online readers' poll for Time's Person of the Year nominated Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi as the most influential figure in 2016..

Time says Modi had 18 percent of the vote when the poll closed Sunday at midnight, pulling ahead of his closest contenders, Barack Obama, Donald Trump and Julian Assange, who each received 7 percent.

Editors have the final say, anybody want to bet on Modi?

curtis

Quote from: stark on December 06, 2016, 02:33:59 PM
I don't want to hyjack this thread and make it political, but there's a similar poll going on right now for the TIME magazine person of the year.  The results are in, the people have voted.
Voters in the online readers' poll for Time's Person of the Year nominated Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi as the most influential figure in 2016..

Time says Modi had 18 percent of the vote when the poll closed Sunday at midnight, pulling ahead of his closest contenders, Barack Obama, Donald Trump and Julian Assange, who each received 7 percent.

Editors have the final say, anybody want to bet on Modi?
I'm not sure the popular vote really matters.  I did hear some scuttlebutt about some of the Time readers voting illegally, however.  Of course that was a report from a couple of years ago. ;)

peeptoad

I wrote in Hoppertunity, lol...

Print
User actions